turbo coupe vs. supercoupe

PReDiTR91

ALTERED BEAST!!!
Established Member
I first fell in love with the t-birds when my uncle bought a brand new TC. I thought it was the coolest ride! Then the SC came out & I thought that was the shit!!! I got a 90SC , dropped a magnaport II blower & plenum, K&N air filter, and stock AOD, That thing was quick!!! Then I crashed it drunk driving :beer: Sold the blower, sold the engine, sold the windows, took the body to the recycling center!!! Then I bought a 91SC for $600 with blown head gaskets, sold the blower for $300 & ditched the motor! Bought a 351W machined & bored 40 over for $150 & will be dropping that in my SC soon!!! My point is get either one & drop a 351W with some aluminum heads!!!
:fm: PReDiTR91 :fm:

ez112

Established Member
Wow the crazy thing is, SVTVenom97 is right!

I own a 94 SHO, AND an 88 TC, and for a beater I like the bird, and on turboford.org, the NUTS on there do CRAZY things to the 2.3L. Mostly on a Mustang frame probably due to weight, but kudos to the potental that engine has!

Now don't get me wrong I love the blower. (thank you lightning), and I always wanted a SC. Hell I would have picked one up if I didn't find my TC cheap. But as mentioned, when done up right (most people do), they're bas ass machines.

Turbocoupe gets my vote!

95SC

Banned
What does the stock sho run or one with couple bolton's.I run against 2 SHOs and won both times ,that was when I had an intake and cut-back exhaust only.
I vote for late style 5-speed super coupe.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
burbank95sc said:
What does the stock sho run or one with couple bolton's.I run against 2 SHOs and won both times ,that was when I had an intake and cut-back exhaust only.
Depends on the model year they got weaker as time/model years went on , i raced a 89 SHO
and he pulled me on topend those secondary ports was just too much for my Turbo-coupe. From a dig it was more of a drivers race but the Sho was still quicker.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
SVTVenom97 said:
SHO will bury either of those 2 cars stock for stock. Get a SHO!

I have driven all 3. I had a 90 SHO, I've driven my brothers '89 XR7, and I now own an 87 Turbo Coupe.

The SHO is no doubt a bad ass engine, but they dont respond very well (relative to the other cars in question), and also the burden of the differential pin is not worth it unless you have enough money to buy the car AND a Quafie differential (+ the labor if you can't do it yourself.)

The Supercoupe/XR7's can make some really good power. Also, IMHO the Supercoupes/XR7s have the best Thunderbird body style. But they do have the notorious problem with blowing head gaskets if you're pushing too much boost or it can't breather properly. (Do aftermarket head gaskets fix this?) And they also weigh about 3700 pounds.

The Turbo Coupe is the best bang for the buck. I got mine with 120k for $750. They really dont have alot of problems...just the normal 20 year old car maintenance. The 4 cylinders are almost bulletproof, they respond well to modification; they come with a solid 8.8 rear axle with an LSD. The only bad thing is that they weigh 3400lbs but you can easily put them in the 12's with simple junkyard mods and weigh reduction.

Also, with turbocharged engines, especially the Ford turbo 2.3, you will see alot of junkyard innovation and creativity. For example some nuts have mounted Volvo 16v heads to them succesfully. There are only 3 running that I now of.One that is in progress is running a 16 valve Volvo head and is running twin turbos.

A good thing about the Turbo Coupe is that they are so cheap. You can upgrade the fuel pump, get an Adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator, go to the junkyard and snag a roller cam off a Ranger 2.3, turbo off a Cummins straight 6 diesel, get an intercooler off a Saab, Starion, Volvo...whatever, crank up the boost on a homemade boost controller and hello..maybe tune it with a Megasquirt and hello 13's/12's!

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
burbank95sc said:

5 speed SHOs will run high 14's to mid 15s. Autos will run low 15's - 16's. But the SHOs dont shine well in the 1/4. Their territory is the highway.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
5 speed SHOs will run high 14's to mid 15s. Autos will run low 15's - 16's. But the SHOs dont shine well in the 1/4. Their territory is the highway.
:read: Your first post is all new information for me but it sounds interesting ! :rockon: I can agree with you about the SHO!! I have been beaten by a 89 model in my coupe and my old 96 mustang gt manual. i had to watch him pull me from 80mph on up. :cuss:

8ate8

Established Member
It was too short a notice and they changed the date once or twice. I would have gone, but my AutoRotor wasn't on the car before the shootout. Especially since E-Town is like 20 minutes from me.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
8ate8 said:
It was too short a notice and they changed the date once or twice. I would have gone, but my AutoRotor wasn't on the car before the shootout. Especially since E-Town is like 20 minutes from me.
:beer: I've raced a couple of S/C's stock for stock and won, but it was my driving not the car:rockon: The S/C's torque really gets them moving :thumbsup: .

Last edited:

8ate8

Established Member
My SC is a biiit far from stock :) 391rwhp/429rwtq. Would have been a blast if I was able to make the shootout. The first one happened before I owned my SC.

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
i would take a turbo couple any day over the super coupe and who cares about a sho. I got an 88 turbo coupe for $1300 my junior year of HS. I did all of the junk yard mods, i even found a flowmaster american thunder cat back on an old gt at a junk yard. the only part i bought at full cost was an msd-6al ignition. i ran it up to 27lbs and it made alittle over 300rwhp and 370rwtq. the best part was that all the cheap 5.0 parts fit on it. and as far as highway racing it would beat down on LT1s which i think a sho wouldn't stand a chance with.

love bandit2

Established Member
Texantony said:
I'd get a Taurus SHO 5 speed. I think a little faster than both sc or tc but I may be wrong. :shrug:
They also sound cool when you floor it :rolling: .

the 5 speed 3.0 sho's were fast.... faster than any T-bird or the fox body 5.0 stang's of their day equipped with the lame rear gear ratio stock for stock. SHO's in good shape in running order are hard to come by now though.

Users who are viewing this thread