turbo coupe vs. supercoupe

80blue

Established Member
well i know a few of you know what happened with the SC i was supposed to get :cuss: but theres a turbo coupe that i saw on the way to work at this run down auto shop and im thinking about calling on it, but i wanna know from you guys what do you prefer and why? thanks

blk89SC

Do work
Established Member
supercoupe. newer, supercharged, ummmm i just overall like em better. turbo coupes IF DONE UP RIGHT are freakin wicked, see the pics thread in this section and look for the blue turbocoupe with cobra Rs to get what im talking about.

one vote for SCs

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
IMO just depends on your tastes. The SC and TC are two completely different animals. To me it would all come down to price and conidition. I'm biased towards the 83-86 TC

Fastronald

Established Member
S.C. - Turbo

A Turbo is sweet to be sure..........but..............there is just something about hearing that blower whine under power! My vote?....Super Coupe.

Cobra_TT

The Mustang No One Likes
Established Member
yea but the last video i saw of turbo Vs. Supercharger the turbo walked all over the supercharger. My friend has like 4 tc's and i even like them and i am a cobra fan. even stock they will move quicker than a stock 4.6 and i HAVE put it to the test. He also has plans to put a turbo on it from a 7.3l Power Stroke. i know it dosent sound like it would work but i have seen them like that before and man they fly. But i am also a huge turbo fan. Just my pair of pennies, go with what you are comfy with.

apex632

Established Member
Cobra_TT said:
yea but the last video i saw of turbo Vs. Supercharger the turbo walked all over the supercharger. My friend has like 4 tc's and i even like them and i am a cobra fan. even stock they will move quicker than a stock 4.6 and i HAVE put it to the test. He also has plans to put a turbo on it from a 7.3l Power Stroke. i know it dosent sound like it would work but i have seen them like that before and man they fly. But i am also a huge turbo fan. Just my pair of pennies, go with what you are comfy with.
that's not something i would've guessed seeing as that a turbo coupe doesn't run 14's stock and the later 4.6 gt's can. i could almost see an auto 96-98 4.6 though. but i've never seen a stock turbo coupe run before..only modded ones lol.

as far as whether to go after the tc or not. its really up to you. i like the s/c bodystyle a whole lot more..and i loved mine when i had it. would love to get another one..but a 94-95 this time instead of an 89-93 (i had a 90 5-speed).

Last edited:

Cobra_TT

The Mustang No One Likes
Established Member
apex632 If you actually read what i typed you will find that i said nothing about a GT mustang I just stated that it was quicker than my 4.6. Also my friend turned up the boost in his and is running something like 18 pounds.

apex632

Established Member
Cobra_TT said:
apex632 If you actually read what i typed you will find that i said nothing about a GT mustang I just stated that it was quicker than my 4.6. Also my friend turned up the boost in his and is running something like 18 pounds.
well you said "STOCK it will take out a STOCK 4.6". so i assumed a gt stang. if you meant a t-bird then that was completely my fault. i could see that happening yeah..the supercoupes can take out the 4.6 t-birds as well. i got a chance to race one when i had my s/c. as i had stated though the tc's can go a lot further then the s/c's can in terms of power and speed. does anyone know the record for the fastest s/c?

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
I used to own a 1988 turbo coupe. It didn't have much oomph off the line. But, once it was rolling and got into boost it was another story. The thing that I miss most about that car is the highway gas mileage that it got with it being a 5spd manual with a 2.3 liter engine. But, getting a little off the topic of this thread, I've got to say that my Lightning is way much more fun.
I had to get rid of the turbo coupe because of some strange electrical gremlin that myself nor the stealership could figure out. Other than that, I would have kept it.

V8 SuperCoupe

Established Member
SC is a bit different than the 4.6 Bird.

I guess that fastest SC would be Coy Miller. He ran a 10.85. A slew of guys are running 11's. 12's are getting to be a dime a dozen.

I like the TC. I just can't get over the interior. Same when I had my 93 SC. I just couldn't stand the interior.

BlackCat94

Banned
Established Member
The '88 Turbo Coupe I've been in had nothing on my 4.6L 2v when she was stock.

Maybe it was worn out. Maybe Turbo Coupes are 16 second cars. I think it's the latter.

I'd take the SC, but wouldn't be dissapointed with a Turbo Coupe.

V8 SuperCoupe

Established Member
image.php

I like that. :D

Texantony

Established Member
I'd get a Taurus SHO 5 speed. I think a little faster than both sc or tc but I may be wrong. :shrug:
They also sound cool when you floor it :rolling: .

Turbo-Bird

Texantony said:
I'd get a Taurus SHO 5 speed. I think a little faster than both sc or tc but I may be wrong. :shrug:

actually i have a 88 TC, i had a go with a Supercoupe and there were a couple of kids driving, they loooked at my car and tought it was pritty cool, light goes green, i hauled in first off the line shifted into second and it was nose to nose, then we slowed down and theres another red light, he's got a automatic from what i could tell he starts lighting his rear tires up, smoke everywere..light goes green he hits it i drop it in gear and shoot off half a car length in first, once we hit second its nose and noise and 3rd it was nose to nose, next light i tell em its a 4cyl there like NO WAY, they don't no much about these cars oviously so i educated them a bit, told him i like his ride, they didn't think it was a 4cyl because of how it sounds those 2.3's sound meen with a glasspack set up and some 2.5" exhaust tips (like a mustang) its got its own unique sound kind of like a wrx has it'sown unique sound. my Brother has a SHO i can beat him from 0-60 but once he hits 60-70 MPH he drives away...

95R#177

Established Member
I don't lurk here much....
Do what my sons did...buy an 85-88 TC for $500 or so, then find a salvaged Cobra 5.0L/T5...put the Cobra drivtrain in the TC...it makes a great ride!

motoman991

Banned
yes i agree, the taurus sho's sound cool when you floor it, i had a 92 sho 5 speed with flowmaster mufflers and a modified airbox, when the secondaries came on it sounded nice

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
Both are /were great cars... but my choice for a daily driver would be a SC.... add MLS head gaskets, a tune and you've got a fabulous handling/performing raod car and daily driver. I like the IRS, and style waaay better and partz are easier to find....

94BlueSHO

Established Member
Texantony said:
yes but they suck to fix and they do break often. Thats why I sold mine. I would say turbo coupe. sure not to fast stock but a lot easer to mod than a SC and cheaper to fix im sure.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Depends, this going to be your hotrod or just something to beat around in thats faster than alot of other cheap cars? I have had an 88 TC, an 87 TC that I bought to part out that was in rough shape but did drive for a couple months and was half owner of an 86 Turbo Coupe me and my friend went in on halves to get parts, mostly for the 2.3 turbo swap he wanted to do in his Ranger.

Bone stock the Turbo Coupes just suck because of the stock boost control, this is easily fixed. They are about the most fun car you could ever find for under $1000. The Super Coupes do feel nicer, drive nicer, have less little bastard problems but do eat head gaskets. Parts arent too $$$ for a Turbo Coupe, they CAN be for a Super Coupe but not really if you look around. I have almost bought two Supercoupes, they are fun bang for the buck wise also. If you wanna go fast in a Turbo Coupe the stock turbo HAS GOT TO FUGGIN GO! That little thing is a joke!

If you want one for a beater, go with either, the Turbo Coupe will have a bunch of little things go wrong that WILL PISS YOU OFF. If you wanna go all out and run 11's, 12's or whatever the Turbo Coupe might be your better option although there are Autorotor kits for the Super Coupes now which should make running faster ALOT easier. If you want the nicer car all around, get the Super Coupe.

There are proven combos for the Super Coupes but it gets to be $$$$, the Turbo Coupe guys usually buy alot of parts and never run anything, although if you copy some good laid out combos for an SVO you shouldnt have a problem, although the Turbo Coupe is heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread