Turbo Cobra Project

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
How does one go about getting invited to KOTS? Not sure if I would ever take the Cobra but my current project should run pretty darn good. With any luck it might be done next summer.
I'm not exactly sure. In my case, 5.0 Mustang magazine contacted me towards the end of last year about featuring the car in their magazine. Then they expressed interest in having my car in their competition. I would start posting build info on your project.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I'm not exactly sure. In my case, 5.0 Mustang magazine contacted me towards the end of last year about featuring the car in their magazine. Then they expressed interest in having my car in their competition. I would start posting build info on your project.

I have an entire thread about my car in my sig. Besides I just get told by the local GM guys that I brag about my car to much when they bring it up 99% of the time. lol

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I have an entire thread about my car in my sig. Besides I just get told by the local GM guys that I brag about my car to much when they bring it up 99% of the time. lol
I know you have a build thread on this car. I thought you were talking about entering a different Mustang that won't be done until next year.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, I got the car back after quite a while. It seems the car is “untunable”, lol. He did his best but it’s still not right. It’s mainly the idle. It wants to die when going into gear but once in gear, it drives pretty good. Throttle response is instant.

While it was there, my brand new Precision 6266 journal bearing turbos gave up the ghost. The car started smoking when I was there actually. Pulled the filters off and tons of shaft play. I sent them back to Precision and they said it looks like oil starvation. I’ve had two sets of journal bearing turbos on it previously so who knows. They cut me a break on upgrading to their dual ceramic air cooled ball bearing variety so I took them up on it. They have a built in oil restrictor and after this ordeal, the less oil the better.

I’m not sure what exactly is causing it to die when putting it in gear. The converter appears to be pretty tight which may be causing part of the issue. Heck, this car will drive itself onto a trailer at 800 RPM’s without touching the gas! Another thing is that this engine is so strong even at idle. I believe the intake manifold and the way we set it up are simply causing a lot of power down low. I know that sounds stupid but the engine pulls so hard at 800 RPM’s it’s like a bull in the starting gate. The combo is also very different and I believe it’s beyond the limits of the stock ECU. But I gave it a try. I’m not sure if the BB turbos have much to do with it but these turbos spool so fast it’s unreal. The bottom line is that I will now be installing a stand alone first before doing anything with the converter.

At any rate, here’s a short clip of how the turbos behave. This is 10 PSI.

98 SVT Turbo Cobra In-Car 10 PSI, 4R70W, E85 - YouTube

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Well, I got the car back after quite a while. It seems the car is “untunable”, lol. He did his best but it’s still not right. It’s mainly the idle. It wants to die when going into gear but once in gear, it drives pretty good. Throttle response is instant.

While it was there, my brand new Precision 6266 journal bearing turbos gave up the ghost. The car started smoking when I was there actually. Pulled the filters off and tons of shaft play. I sent them back to Precision and they said it looks like oil starvation. I’ve had two sets of journal bearing turbos on it previously so who knows. They cut me a break on upgrading to their dual ceramic air cooled ball bearing variety so I took them up on it. They have a built in oil restrictor and after this ordeal, the less oil the better.

I’m not sure what exactly is causing it to die when putting it in gear. The converter appears to be pretty tight which may be causing part of the issue. Heck, this car will drive itself onto a trailer at 800 RPM’s without touching the gas! Another thing is that this engine is so strong even at idle. I believe the intake manifold and the way we set it up are simply causing a lot of power down low. I know that sounds stupid but the engine pulls so hard at 800 RPM’s it’s like a bull in the starting gate. The combo is also very different and I believe it’s beyond the limits of the stock ECU. But I gave it a try. I’m not sure if the BB turbos have much to do with it but these turbos spool so fast it’s unreal. The bottom line is that I will now be installing a stand alone first before doing anything with the converter.

At any rate, here’s a short clip of how the turbos behave. This is 10 PSI.

98 SVT Turbo Cobra In-Car 10 PSI, 4R70W, E85 - YouTube

How much power is this car making at 10 pounds of boost? Seems strong and it sounds great, what's your exhaust setup?

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Thanks. Well, the exhaust is a little loud I guess. I just have 3" pipes all the way back from the turbos to Dynomax Bullets. Not much muffling I guess.

I would say the car is making 650-700rwhp.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Thanks. Well, the exhaust is a little loud I guess. I just have 3" pipes all the way back from the turbos to Dynomax Bullets. Not much muffling I guess.

I would say the car is making 650-700rwhp.

Exactly what I would want, except stingers! Damn, serious car man.

Users who are viewing this thread