Turbo Cobra Project

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member

That’s about it for now. I’ll post a few details and pics of some of the changes we made. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the way it turned out. This was a huge challenge for me and I couldn’t have done it without the help of a few people. My buddy Chad spent quite a few late nights over here helping big time with a lot of the work. I also want to thank Turbo Travis for his awesome and invaluable tech advice and help—all from a thousand miles away in NY. Jim from Turbo Connection also stopped by to follow up and do a few things so I want to thank him too.

saleencobra

Established Member
WOW what a build! amazing car! power curve is great they did a stand up job. Really makes me consider the stroker....hmmm idk i might puch the 5.0 block more and see if i can make similiar numbers :burnout:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
The intake fuel rails, coolant crossover tube, and t-bolt clamps are polished. It's hard to tell from the pictures as they don't do it much justice.

SSeatr

Established Member
the intake looks nice!!

whats the CR on the engine?

the boss block stroked is my next build, i should have done it this time around.

awesome #'s though really

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
"Before" picture

BTW, this is how the engine bay looked when I got the car. IT has come a LONG way:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, I’ve thought about this for a while now and I finally pulled the trigger on an auto for my car. I’ve been a life long stick guy and never thought I’d go this route in a car like this. But when I started this project 6 years ago, I was planning on making 700rwhp—not 1000rwhp. I have done quite a bit of research on it. The built T-45 might live and it might not. Chances are it won’t, even though it’s built. At least I can sell it now while it’s still in great shape and re-coup some of the cost of the swap. Even though we set the car up with massive mid-range power with the manual in mind, we will now see how the auto will perform. The car already spools the turbos pretty fast with the stick, but with the right converter, I think it will still do ok. But once again, it’s kind of unknown territory as I haven’t seen a swap with a Modular 4V that makes the power the way this one does.

I weighed the options of a built T-56, a Powerglide, TH400, 4L80E, the TCI 6x 6-speed (modified 4L80E), and a 4R70W. But given what I want out of the car and the intended use, I decided on the 4R70W with a full manual valve body. This way I can still satisfy my shifting desires, lol.

Darrin at BC Automotive got the call on the trans as he has built some mean 4R’s. He also supplied a billet triple disk lock-up converter from Circle D. It has a rated stall of about 3000 RPMs (behind a ~500HP N/A engine) but with mine, it should be around 3500 or so. BC also supplied the SFI approved flex plate, 4R harness, the proper shift lever (I told him which shifter cable I was using), transmission cooler, VSS sensor and speedo gear (installed—I told him my tire size and rear gear), DTR sensor, auto reset relay control box kit, and a steel oil pan w/gasket and a drain plug. We discussed an aluminum pan but it is so thick that it actually keeps the fluid warmer than the steel pan.

The cooler is LARGE and measures 22” x 8 ½” x 1 ¼”. Here are some pics of it mounted:

Lines will break here for serviceability and this is where the in/out trans temp gauge sensors will be:

With the radiator installed:

I’ll have more details and pics as we make more progress this over the winter.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Here is the new trans the way it arrived from BC. Darrin made a heck of a pallet for the trans.

The oil fittings are a 3/8” inverted flare fitting. I am guessing these types of fittings are typically used on OEM transmissions/lines/coolers because they were on both the cooler and the trans. In this case, I will be removing these fittings so there are fewer fittings involved. Then I can come right off the case with a ¼” NPT to –6AN adapter with an angle of my choice.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Well, I shifted gears and took a slightly different route with the shifter. Since the Cobra tunnel wasn't made for an auto shifter, this shifter has to be mounted from below in order for the B&M boot plate to sit low enough to mate up to the bezel properly. It just wasn't working for me. So after performing some minor surgery on the shifter and the manual boot, I was able to mount it from above like it should be. This also gave me a little more height.

Just about ready to bolt the trans in:

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
The most the car has made is 1028rwhp/1094rwtq. Once the auto is in, I suppose I'll dyno it just to make sure the tune is on. I don't forsee any changes that will need to be made though.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Just a small update. I just about got the auto swap complete. The exhaust is VERY close to the trans pan and shifter lever so it needs to be tweaked/moved to clear better.

So since I have to get some tig welding done, I thought now was the best time to upgrade the turbos. The 58mm’s were definitely wheezing at 1000rwhp. I’ll have to have the downpioes extended a bit and have the wastegate tubes/flanges welded on. I’m going with Precision 6266’s. I’m also finally installing some Tial MV-S external wastegates for more flexibility and much better boost control.

Anyway, it should be interesting with the automatic turbo spooler in place, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread