Tuning?

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I have an 01 cobra as my username suggests and not much is done to it at the moment just some upgraded bushings and things like that. Forgive me if this has been covered I didn’t see anything after a quick search.
What handheld tuners work best for an 01? My plan is to make it breathe with an exhaust and intake and I’d also like to get a tuner so I can fix my speedometer after 3.73s and bigger tires.
So my question is which one? I’ve seen the ngauge, Bama, SCT and have heard mixed reviews on them. Also what does unlocked and married mean?
Like I said I mainly want to do simple bolt ons for now and MAYBE cams in a few years if I get the itch to. I’m only doing simple bolt ons because at some point I do plan to do a build thread and build the car how I want it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
SCT is the software that tuners such as Lund and Bama use. When you use a hand held device to tune a car the tuner is locked to that car. Devices such as the Ngauge and X4 can only be used to tune one car at a time.

Your best bet is to find a tuner and see what software they use then get a tuner that matches their software. Or if you're inclined get the software and tune it yourself.

Established Member
SCT is the software that tuners such as Lund and Bama use. When you use a hand held device to tune a car the tuner is locked to that car. Devices such as the Ngauge and X4 can only be used to tune one car at a time.

Your best bet is to find a tuner and see what software they use then get a tuner that matches their software. Or if you're inclined get the software and tune it yourself.

How hard is it to get the software and tune it myself? I know I’m young but I’m not a big tech person

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can order the software from someone like Lasota Racing. Don will even set you up with a base tune.

There's a lot of resources out there for learning to tune. I prefer tuning myself as anytime I make a change I just fire up the laptop. The amount of changes I've made in the past made the cost of the software worth it for me.

Established Member
Well in y’alls opinion would it make sense for me to just get a used handheld for now or get the software and don’t look back?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll need a hand held either way. The tune is loaded from the computer to the hand held. Then from the hand held to the car. So if you can find a good deal on an unlocked tuner go for it.

Established Member
That’s what I thinking, there’s a mustang shop near me and I’m going to call them tomorrow and go from there, thanks all for the help!

Established Member
I called the shop near me and they said I don’t need a handheld they’ll flash it for me and they use SCT. They charge 700 for it, for that price though it seems like I could get the software and do it myself though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That seems kinda steep to me. Especially without a hand held. I'm not a fan of being tuned like that because you don't have a copy for yourself. What happens if the tuner goes out of business or leaves town? You're SOL.

Established Member
That’s what I was thinking I mean then I have to go back for any little change I do, I’m probably gonna save up and get the software to tune myself.
I mean then I know my car and I can check and do what I need to do anytime it needs to be done.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
That’s what I was thinking I mean then I have to go back for any little change I do, I’m probably gonna save up and get the software to tune myself.
I mean then I know my car and I can check and do what I need to do anytime it needs to be done.

Be careful and study timing, air/fuel, etc. One little mistake can cost an engine.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Established Member
Be careful and study timing, air/fuel, etc. One little mistake can cost an engine.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Whoever I go with to get the software, probably LaSota, I’ll be studying the DVD before I go near my car. I’ll make sure I have it down pat before tuning and I’ll do a lot of research as well as to what to expect. I greatly appreciate y’alls help and opinions on this.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I bet you could find a Diablosport Predator for less than $100 unmarried. I had one before I was supercharged. Throw the 93 octane tune in, datalog and get your spark advance to about 26, if you can get it on a dyno even lean out the fuel mixture in the high 12's. I did this with mine, I also had the software downloaded on my laptop. No need to spend $400 on a tuner with your modest mods..

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I called the shop near me and they said I don’t need a handheld they’ll flash it for me and they use SCT. They charge 700 for it, for that price though it seems like I could get the software and do it myself though.

DON'T DO THIS, REPEAT DON'T DO THIS! YOU'LL PAY 700 FOR 15 HORSEPOWER!

FinnCobra

Established Member
Your car has EEC-5 computer, it can be tuned with Quartehorse device and TunerPro RT software, they are 300$ and buy your first tune from someone. Then you can make adjustments yourself, or just ask tuner to send you updated tune. I can recommend tuner if that's allowed

Established Member
This may be a stupid question, just one of the things I’ve seen with looking up handhelds, you can buy a handheld from AmericanMuscle and CJPonyParts and places like that for 300-400 and they send you a tune?

Established Member
Also Core Tuning has a package that includes an ngauge and software for like 629, or I can download the software and purchase a license for 100-200 not including tuner

Users who are viewing this thread