Tuning and Mods

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
First, stock plugs are heat range 7 so the TR7ix a better choice. I run more boost and a tighter gap 0.026 but you’ll be fine at 32, I wouldn’t go higher personally.
Last question why stock? :)
-J
First, stock plugs are heat range 7 so the TR7ix a better choice. I run more boost and a tighter gap 0.026 but you’ll be fine at 32, I wouldn’t go higher personally.
Last question why stock? :)
-J
just gonna keep it stock for awhile longer to enjoy my warranty and feel somewhat safe about my mods down the road. Already lining up the CAI, tune and rear gears for when I cant stand it any longer biminiLX! Thanks for all of the input man.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
First, stock plugs are heat range 7 so the TR7ix a better choice.
I'm not used to disagreeing with you, J, but everything I've read says stock plugs are heat range 6...
- According to VMP, "TR7-IX... is a full step colder than stock."
- NGK recommends TR6-IX for stock GT500 applications
- Summit Racing recommends TR6-IX for stock GT500 applications
- American Muscle cites TR6-IX as "Perfect for Stock Boost," with TR7-IX being suited for "Increased Boost"

You have a great deal more experience than I do, so I have to ask what am I (they) missing?

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I'm not used to disagreeing with you, J, but everything I've read says stock plugs are heat range 6...
- American Muscle cites TR6-IX as "Perfect for Stock Boost," with TR7-IX being suited for "Increased Boost"

You have a great deal more experience than I do, so I have to ask what am I (they) missing?
Thanks Norton. It is great to have all of you guys experience/information pooled at one place like this forum. Saves us newbies a lot of time figuring out.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

No worries buddy. Nobody knows it all. I will say this and you can decide. What determines spark plug range?
Cylinder pressure. If the Terminator Cobras and the ‘07-12 GT500s specd heat range 6 plugs, why would the ‘13-14 Trinity with more compression and factory boost pressure run the same?
I’m fairly confident the stock plug was different on Trinity compared to Condor GT500 motors. And when you cross reference the ‘13-14 plugs you should get NGK heat range 7.
I actually use non-projected tip BR7EF NGK coppers.
Tuners and others have criticized the ‘13-14 on being on the edge of detonation stock on pump 91-93 and they’re right. But it’s also why, with better OCTANE, they respond better to mods and boost. Give me compression, octane and boost.
I milled my heads for closer to 10:1 on my JDM build. If I ever sleeve and rebuild it’ll be 11:1.
E85 does some interesting things, and responds well to compression and boost as well or better than C16 leaded.
My recommendation, even if stock, is TR7ix on a pump gas street car close to stock.
-J

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Installed the new plugs. They looked like the factory installed motorcraft sparkers. The only reason I posted this is because I cant believe how good the “old” ones looked when I took them out. I was pleased to see that all 8 looked exactly alike and the burn looked good and uniform for each one. I have 10,600 miles and went with the TR6-IX’s and gaped them all at .032 , It was already running good with no issues or mis fires at all. I immediately notice a bit quicker throttle response though. Seems that there is no minor lag just off of idle as before the swap. It wasnt really that noticeable until compared to after the new plugs. A very easy job on 2013. I wont mind doing it every 3,000 miles or so if needed as most say.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Is there any E85 in Canada?
E50 has shown to have almost the same detonation resistance as E85 despite less octane (SAE paper and enthusiast testing).
So a 55 gallon drum of E98 can be used to give E50 with a half tank of pump.
Or methanol injection.
To me, either solution is better than Boostane/91 but I understand everyone opinion is different.
I feel lucky with the quality E85 we have, hopefully for a long time.
-J
There is E85 available but its about as common as unicorns. You could buy a drum of it but you'd have to plan your trips and maybe carry a 5 gallon can just in case. I got rid of a perfectly good 69 Road Runner with a stroker Hemi that I rebuilt (the entire car) from a bushel basket because it was always on the edge of detonation because of the crappy gasoline (9.5 to 1 compression, aluminum head). Hemi's have crappy squish so there is very little turbulence in the combustions chamber (with a blower it different). Being a 4sp made didn't help. I had the timing down to 28 degrees total and half a can of Torco before I got it (Torco was fine in that thing. No cats or 02 sensors to foul). The Shelby was to be a no fuss drive it anywhere, put pump gas in it car. Never intended on racing it and as I mentioned even without the CAI and tune I noticed I was getting the occasional ping with 91, 93 or 94, even after I changed the gears to 3.73. What I am finding is that the cooler engine (10 degrees cooler with the new fan dwells and colder stat and colder plugs) is eliminating the ping completely even on 91. I wish they had no lead pump race gas (98) would do it so I can mix it with 91 and have a a good cushion. It is what it is, I've learned to work around it.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Installed the new plugs. They looked like the factory installed motorcraft sparkers. The only reason I posted this is because I cant believe how good the “old” ones looked when I took them out. I was pleased to see that all 8 looked exactly alike and the burn looked good and uniform for each one. I have 10,600 miles and went with the TR6-IX’s and gaped them all at .032 , It was already running good with no issues or mis fires at all. I immediately notice a bit quicker throttle response though. Seems that there is no minor lag just off of idle as before the swap. It wasnt really that noticeable until compared to after the new plugs. A very easy job on 2013. I wont mind doing it every 3,000 miles or so if needed as most say.

Cant go wrong with .032" gap with a stock engine. If you go more boost you will probably need to tighten it up. I found mine didn't run as well with the tighter gap. I have mine at .032-033". You wont need to change them that often unless you use MMT additives.

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
No worries buddy. Nobody knows it all. I will say this and you can decide. What determines spark plug range?
Cylinder pressure. If the Terminator Cobras and the ‘07-12 GT500s specd heat range 6 plugs, why would the ‘13-14 Trinity with more compression and factory boost pressure run the same?
I’m fairly confident the stock plug was different on Trinity compared to Condor GT500 motors. And when you cross reference the ‘13-14 plugs you should get NGK heat range 7.
I actually use non-projected tip BR7EF NGK coppers.
Tuners and others have criticized the ‘13-14 on being on the edge of detonation stock on pump 91-93 and they’re right. But it’s also why, with better OCTANE, they respond better to mods and boost. Give me compression, octane and boost.
I milled my heads for closer to 10:1 on my JDM build. If I ever sleeve and rebuild it’ll be 11:1.
E85 does some interesting things, and responds well to compression and boost as well or better than C16 leaded.
My recommendation, even if stock, is TR7ix on a pump gas street car close to stock.
-J

So what your saying is that even the colder 7 series NGK plugs are on the ok to hot side for the trinity motors. That being said, the next step needed once some extra boost is added, would be the 8's then. Or would you run out of pump gas octane before you made enough boost to require 8's?

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Cant go wrong with .032" gap with a stock engine. If you go more boost you will probably need to tighten it up. I found mine didn't run as well with the tighter gap. I have mine at .032-033". You wont need to change them that often unless you use MMT additives.
Thanks man. No additives as of yet.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So what your saying is that even the colder 7 series NGK plugs are on the ok to hot side for the trinity motors. That being said, the next step needed once some extra boost is added, would be the 8's then. Or would you run out of pump gas octane before you made enough boost to require 8's?
Yes, stock to mild boost increase would be 7s. Aggressive boost I would recommend 8 but that depends on fuel and tune.
I stayed on a non projected tip 7 as E85 tolerates a hotter plug but I plan on trying 8s as well.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just found a quick validation on a good basic mod vid by a new member and VMP. Justin mentions the ‘13-14 having a colder plug here on vid around 13:30
So, for everyone on TR6s....go 7s :)
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Just found a quick validation on a good basic mod vid by a new member and VMP. Justin mentions the ‘13-14 having a colder plug...
Makes me wonder why he hasn't updated his "'Spark Plugs 101 for GT500s' VMP Performance guide to spark plugs for 2007-2014 Ford Shelby GT500s," where it says "NGK TR7-IX... This is a full step colder than stock"... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread