TUNER PROBLEMS... HELP?

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
Hi guys, 1999 Cobra here.

I had an unmarried diablo predator and was trying to tune my car but the tuner crashed and failed to detect the car after trying to load tune after the back up was finalizing. Now my car won't turn on.

I called diablo to troubleshoot and they gave me two options 1) Send them the ECU and the tuner or 2) go to Ford to get the ECU re-flashed and then call Diablo to unlock the tuner and reboot it

I told them I'd get the tuner re-flashed myself since a buddy of mine is a tech at a local Ford dealership. The tech came over and tried re-flashing the ECU with his laptop but the laptop failed to detect my car just like the tuner. He couldn't even give me a diagnosis.

I told him, I was going to run a few tests on my own.

FYI the alternator and battery were recently replaced.

So... first of all, the instrument cluster displays all dashes in the odometer and the theft light is flashing. The cooling fan is running for no reason.

I've ran a few tests on the fuses.

1. With the key OFF there was no voltage to F2.2, F2.5, F2.8, F2.34

2. With the key OFF there was power to F2.21

3. With the key ON there was power to F2.2, F2.5, F2.8, F2.21, and F2.34

I'm running out of options here. A buddy of mine suggests I get a new key since the PATS transponder (the chip in the key) might not be communicating with the security system.

Any other suggestions?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The keys would only affect trying to start the car. It sounds like an ECU issue to me. Was everything working fine before you tried to flash it?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
The keys would only affect trying to start the car. It sounds like an ECU issue to me. Was everything working fine before you tried to flash it?

Love the misspelling quote at the end lol...

Everything was working fine before attempting to upload the diablo performance tune to the car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I hate to say it but it sounds like the tuner killed your ECU. Do you know anyone with an ECU you can plug in and see if things still connect?

cj428mach

Established Member
It sounds like the time I screwed up while flashing my car with Binary Editor. I screwed up the process while it was erasing the memory the fan ran full time the key was on and the car would crank but not start. I just had to reflash it with Binary Editor and all was well again.

Back when i had my Fbody if it failed while reading the tune it would make the pcm act like it was toast (fans would run, the car wouldn't start and I couldn't connect to the pcm) I could disconnect the battery and then the pcm would go back to normal. It might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^ Yup I'd at least try to disconnect power. PATS issue too with lines on odometer. Mine malfunctioned some years back when I was importing a tune with a Diablo. Does your predator display anything on the screen when attached to the OBD? Does crashed mean dead?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Pull the battery cables and ground them to each other after they are pulled from the battery.

What you are talking about, is the exact same thing my wife's 2004 Mustang GT did when I installed the Procharger kit on my wife's car and plugged the diablosport pretuned chip into the ECM. It was the wrong strategy code or something, I can't remember, but luckily all I had to do was pull the chip and call procharger. They sent me a new one which I had no issues with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread