Tune?

CobraG

Established Member
I'm looking at tuning options for my 2014. I have an nGauge from a previous Mustang I owned, I believe it'll work on this car. My previous Mustang was tuned by Lund. I'm thinking about Lund again or possibly going with someone local for a dyno tune.

What do y'all recommend, mail order or dyno tune? Is there a preference for the 13/14's for mail order tuners?

Mods:
Revan Racing 13-6 Carbon Fiber Kit - No pulley
JLT passenger side catch can
Ford Racing mufflers
Ford Racing 65mm Twin Blade TB

Thanks

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I'm looking at tuning options for my 2014. I have an nGauge from a previous Mustang I owned, I believe it'll work on this car. My previous Mustang was tuned by Lund. I'm thinking about Lund again or possibly going with someone local for a dyno tune.

What do y'all recommend, mail order or dyno tune? Is there a preference for the 13/14's for mail order tuners?

Mods:
Revan Racing 13-6 Carbon Fiber Kit - No pulley
JLT passenger side catch can
Ford Racing mufflers
Ford Racing 65mm Twin Blade TB

Thanks
Is the nGauge still married to the previous Mustang?

If so, youll need to contact lund or the local tuner and see if that's an issue. you may need to get a new RTD for it.

CobraG

Established Member
I contacted Lund, he said I'll need to power up the nGauge, press Tuning then Status and send them a picture of the screen.
Come to think of it, they'll probably want me to go through them if they unlock it. Lol, well, I guess that answers that, mail order is Lund.

Tezz500

Established Member
I contacted Lund, he said I'll need to power up the nGauge, press Tuning then Status and send them a picture of the screen.
Come to think of it, they'll probably want me to go through them if they unlock it. Lol, well, I guess that answers that, mail order is Lund.

Lund also does remote dyno tuning. You could set that up with them if you’re set on having it on the dyno.

I’d also weigh the options of getting it tuned by your local shop and not even bother with the nGauge.

It’s probably only a couple $100.00 difference and less hassle. Might worth the time just to ask the shop.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
If you have the option of a reputable, local dyno tuner I would do that. A lot less hassle. Im sure some will disagree with me but I always prefer to deal with the tuner in person and get it all done in a few hours compared to logging, emailing, re-loading, logging, emailing, etc….just my personal opinion.

CobraG

Established Member
I found a local place that does dyno tuning, I plan on going to talk to him. Are there any questions in particular I should ask?
I've had tunes on Mustangs in the past, always mail order where I just put my mod list.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Understand that mail order tunes will be on the conservative side, by design.
Ask your local tuner if they'll tune it on the street.
Both of mine were done that way, prevents any driveability issues..

VNMOUS1

Established Member
There are about 5 professionals that tune more of these cars in a week than most "local Mustang tuners" will do in a few years.

Most of those 5 will do their best to remotely tune the car at a dyno local to you. A final street logging and edit of the tune should be part of the process.

In our case, we're on live, in real time, screen sharing and monitoring every step. We edit, move the file to your laptop, load it on your device and all that happens on your end is flashing the car and paying attention to the feel of the car.

Don't fear remote tuning by reputable, experienced pros.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CobraG

Established Member
I got the code to have my nGauage unmarried from my previous car so I can now get a tune from Lund. But then I started thinking, if the car is running great and I don't have any mods right now that require a tune, why do I need a tune? Is there anything to be gained by adding a tune?

Tezz500

Established Member
I got the code to have my nGauage unmarried from my previous car so I can now get a tune from Lund. But then I started thinking, if the car is running great and I don't have any mods right now that require a tune, why do I need a tune? Is there anything to be gained by adding a tune?

Yes…. But I would personally do a tune after you’ve done some mods otherwise you’re gonna be paying twice.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Ah, the lightbulb (y)

The sooner you can start building a repour with your tuner, the better.
My course of action has always been with a pre owned car, prior to doing consistent pulls in boost, was to get the tune verified. I would drive 3 hours to get it on a dyno.

$400.00 for piece of mind.

Yes, add as many mods as you can that require a tune. Bundle and save

Kevinbonds

Established Member
Why do you want to tune it? In my opinion, the 2013/14 make great power, just lack a little on the traction side. Have you thought about upgrading some of the suspension, and seeing how it handles, then doing the tune?

railroad

Established Member
Revan Racing may still be selling a kit of bolt ons that are easy, work and offered in different levels.
At the time he tested this stuff, hands on.
I was very pleased with the 13-6 kit and he helped me out with a few questions.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If anything ask Lund what it would cost to send a datalog to him to review it and make sure everything looks good, which I'm sure it does, tunes don't go bad.

Users who are viewing this thread