Tune with Killer Chiller

DSGNator

Established Member
I recently started taking my 03 Cobra to the 1/8 mile track and now It's safe to say that I've got the bug. As much as I enjoy racing it worries me how hot my car runs. It's never overheated, but it puts off a lot more heat than some of my friends' cars. Granted none of them are racing terminators. I've read a lot of go of things about the Killer Chiller set up in our cars. I'd like to install the drag version on my car. However I was also considering getting a new tune on my car because the one that im running is around 10 years old and done by the previous owner. I'd like to get a new tune that is more aligned to my style of driving and the mods I've done since I've owned the car. I was planning on getting it tuned before installing the KC. But I got to thinking about it and I think maybe I should do the killer chiller first since it's going to lower my engine temps. What do ya'll think?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
tuning before adding the KC wont cause a problem, all the KC is doing is cooling the intercooler fluid to keep IAT2s from getting so high that the computer starts pulling timing to prevent detonation.

I know tons of people, myself included when I had my Lightning, that added a KC without tune changes and there were no issues

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yup what he said. The KC doesn't require any retuning so tuning before or after it makes no difference.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
But wouldn't you guys agree that he could possibly go a little more aggressive on the timing if there is a KC in place? So not saying the KC would require a retune, just that he would be better off installing it first and running it on the dyno and possibly getting more aggressive on timing and seeing how the motor likes it. Another thought, cold air = dense air and the KC is impacting the charge after the MAF, maybe making the car go a little lean. Again, this is all likely within the margins, but if it were me I would install the KC before the re-tune.

Tractionless1

Established Member
But wouldn't you guys agree that he could possibly go a little more aggressive on the timing if there is a KC in place? So not saying the KC would require a retune, just that he would be better off installing it first and running it on the dyno and possibly getting more aggressive on timing and seeing how the motor likes it. Another thought, cold air = dense air and the KC is impacting the charge after the MAF, maybe making the car go a little lean. Again, this is all likely within the margins, but if it were me I would install the KC before the re-tune.

Only if the car responds positively to more timing in the first place. Mine does zilch over 17* advance KC or not.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member

That's what I was thinking too. I'm going to have mine fixed before I get a custom tune.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't think it works like that.

The amount of air going past the maf is recorded for the pcm to use, it doesn't matter what temperature it is the computer knows the amount of the air because its a Mass Air Flow sensor. Its not like you have 100 grams of air pass the MAF at 100 degrees then go into the intercooler getting chilled, and then that same 100 grams of air becoming 120 grams. For the air to become more dense you'd need more of the air to pass the MAF to pack the air in a tighter area.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I don't think it works like that.

The amount of air going past the maf is recorded for the pcm to use, it doesn't matter what temperature it is the computer knows the amount of the air because its a Mass Air Flow sensor. Its not like you have 100 grams of air pass the MAF at 100 degrees then go into the intercooler getting chilled, and then that same 100 grams of air becoming 120 grams. For the air to become more dense you'd need more of the air to pass the MAF to pack the air in a tighter area.

Yup what he said. Unless the KC is adding or removing air from the intake it'll be just fine. All it's doing is changing the temp of the air.

Users who are viewing this thread