Tune issue or FRPS?

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Alright having a issue with my car, here are the symptoms

* A/F ratio while driving fluctuates from 11.9-13.7 just normal driving
*A/F ratio once started regardless of engine cold or warm is 10.2-11.5 until vehicle is moving then fluctuates to above A/F ratio
* No codes thrown at all.
* sometimes will randomly go extreme lean exp: 17.8 A/F ratio for a second. I back off and it goes back to ~12 A/F
* slight miss just at idle, goes away with RPMs
* Oil smells highly of gas

Here is what I have tried to do

* Custom tune from VMP- ran exactly the same with no changes to any above issues except now have slight idle hang when deceleration in neutral
* replaced both upstream O2 sensors
* replaced all spark plugs with TR6
* Replaced all fuel injectors with a newer take off set
* replaced 3 COPs due to degration from time
* cleaned MAF and TB
* purchased new wideband O2 sensor just in case my wideband was off.

Now I'm not sure where to go from here. I have asked for a retune from VMP but they assure me that their tune is spot on and unless I want to go the datalogging custom tune route there is nothing else for them to do.
I researched bad FRPS and it seems that I have some of the symptoms but usually when they go bad the car won't even drive.

Ideas??

Thanks for any help guys

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Well, being that you replaced so much stuff already, you have 2 options. 1) replace the FRPS and see what happens.
2) get your laptop out and start logging.

The smell of gas in the oil could certainly indicate a blown FRPS. I've seen it go both ways. My car would not even start when mine blew, but I've seen others say that it just ran bad.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Doing remote tuning through datalogging will the only way to ascertain the status of equipment and/or its issues. If our tune that we sent resulted in the same thing, it would lead me to believe there's an equipment issue at some point. The "hanging idle" should be around 200 rpm over idle until the car comes to a complete stop. Is that what it's doing? If so, it's by design.

The things you've already changed are a smart thing to do.

We're most happy to assist. Let us know how you'd like to move forward.

leroyt10

Established Member
I would recommend you monitor Long and Short trims while wiggling the FRPS. Have seen some fail internally and the press would spike to 70+psi. Also have seen the Canister purge solenoid stick open on some and allow vacuum from the engine to pull vapors form the Charcoal Canister, at any rate a good look at your data logs should help you weed through the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread