Tune and E85 Questions

thehunterooo

Established Member
I have been debating on getting a tune now at 20,000 miles. Most likely just going to get an intake and a tune, the Injen intake has my interest as of now. Still debating on a tuner that has a good tune for the A6.

Mainly still trying to figure out things about E85 as I think I would get a flex fuel tune. The bigger fuel injectors seem like they are a must even though some say they are not needed. Being in Florida is there anything to worry about when it comes to temperatures? I have read a lot of things but the information is contradicting at times. Any long term risks or maintenance to consider?

Most likely will get a the 350 manifold down the road as well so I am planning for it now.

Shaun@AED

You should avoid repeated short drives with E85. If your daily commute is 15-20min each way, you will end up with excessive amounts of ethanol in the oil. We recommend you drive the car HARD and get the engine hot at least every 5th drive.

The worst oil test results we get are from our customers with trailored race cars running E85 that let the engine cool down 45min+ between drag strip runs. We have to change the oil quite frequently due to fuel contamination. Those customers that drive the piss out of their cars don't have problems as the oil pan always gets hot enough to vaporize any fuel that gets in there from cold start.

Since fuel does get into the oil and alcohol does break down oil you can run Royal Purple XPR which was designed for Methanol burning engines. Although the E85 will still get into the oil during cold start, it will not absorb into XPR and break it down, so once the oil pan is hot enough to vaporize the fuel the oil is as good as ever. We recommend this oil for those who want to keep the long factory oil change intervals.

It's also recommended to swap back to gasoline if you plan on letting the car sit for more than 4-6 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread