Tube k member?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
is it common to get a little noise from this swap .a few times i here a little creaking sound like a floor board in a old house. and its cold here if that makes a differene.

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Make sure u have clearance between the steering rack and the oil pan. Want brand is it and do u have the stock or aftermarket a arms on it

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Yes, it is to be expected to gain some NVH when going to a tubular k-member. After installing my bmr k-member and a-arms, I had a huge vibration and steering issue. I had my car realigned and it cleaned up most of the vibration and all of steering issues, now I barely notice my car has a tubular k-member. I also gained .2 and 2mph at the strip, same setup/tune, worse DA. I've been looking at my oem k-member and a-arms laying in my garage for a few weeks, they are total garbage and feels like an anchor, worth getting rid of alone for that simple aspect.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Yes, it is to be expected to gain some NVH when going to a tubular k-member. After installing my bmr k-member and a-arms, I had a huge vibration and steering issue. I had my car realigned and it cleaned up most of the vibration and all of steering issues, now I barely notice my car has a tubular k-member. I also gained .2 and 2mph at the strip, same setup/tune, worse DA. I've been looking at my oem k-member and a-arms laying in my garage for a few weeks, they are total garbage and feels like an anchor, worth getting rid of alone for that simple aspect.

Was that all alignment related? Seriously thinking about a new K-member/A-Arms swap for my own car.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i do have the factory a arms. to get good clearance i had to grind some of that lip on the back a- arm mount on driver side. not enough that u can even tell after a little spray paint.i always get the dealer alighnment and its drives same as the day i bought it.what steering issue did u have.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
oil pan has good clearance.steering shaft looks pretty close but with solid motor mounts engine should not move and i guess the steering shaft doesnt move either?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Was that all alignment related? Seriously thinking about a new K-member/A-Arms swap for my own car.

yes, I had to immediately get a realignment, steering wheel was crooked and had huge vibrations, but all was resolved after a front end alignment. I also have the chassis brace and radiator support, installed the same time as my k-member and A-arms.
IMG_0360_zps9996631f.gif

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i see bmr makes a k member brace thats bolts in on the inside of the arm mounts.u think this will stop the little bit of flex i am hearing?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I installed that with my k-member, cant tell you if you made any difference, but I doubt it made anything worse.

Holovacko

Established Member
My K-member (BMR) makes zero noise...slight steering wheel vibration at idle, otherwise feels stock. I use stock A-arms

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i havent heard any noise after a few days of driving.i did grease the a arm mounts and ball joint so maybe it worked in.i do have a small amount of NHV but the big rubber pods the engine was sitting on is gone that has to be a good thing and BURNIN4 said he got 2 tenths.glad to hear that for sure.andys phone 11-26-14 024.jpg

Last edited:

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
make sure the k member is center on the studs.it will only move maybe a half inch but with long tubes a 1/4 inch clearance is a lot on the steering shaft and arm mount.this will also help the alighnment shop too.i bolted everything together then raised it with floor jack.only tip i have is put a arm bolts with the nut to the front and grease.nuts to the top on steering box bolts.What brand u buy?andys phone 11-26-14 014.jpgandys phone 11-26-14 015.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread