TT vs Single T

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
This question is asked over and over and there is no real answer IMO. Twin's have their downside because the system is going to have to have twice the amount of hardware (wastegates, turbos, tubing, etc) but I think they're a little more civil on a street car.

It depends on your power goals and the intended use of the car. I'm aiming for 1000 rwhp on my twin setup - and at the same time keeping the car completely streetable and keep spool between 3000-3500 RPM.

4WD-Open

Banned
For a V configuration motor two turbos will spool quicker and be more responsive. Two turbos will always move more air than one as long as the motor has enough displacement to spool each turbo quickly enough to produce usable power under the curve. Those who say twin setups are less reliable clearly have never had a turbo setup of any kind.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
4WD-Open said:
For a V configuration motor two turbos will spool quicker and be more responsive. Two turbos will always move more air than one as long as the motor has enough displacement to spool each turbo quickly enough to produce usable power under the curve. Those who say twin setups are less reliable clearly have never had a turbo setup of any kind.

I was going to throw in that I thought twins were better for V motors, but didn't want to get flamed. Thanks brother :beer:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Thats funny, maybe you should tell Randy Haywood or Tim Palmer that(of course Tim doesn't own his cobra anymore).

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
yeasure said:
Thats funny, maybe you should tell Randy Haywood or Tim Palmer that(of course Tim doesn't own his cobra anymore).

Randy Haywood and Tim Palmer, I am 99% sure were limited to only running a single turbo, in NMRA, or FFW they do not allow two power adders(i.e-Twins) to run in classes such as Drag Radial, etc. The only class which allows two power adders that I know of is the Modular Class in FFW, and that is bracket racing only. Now if twins were allowed I think Randy or Tim would be running them, but then again I could be wrong. :beer:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
yeasure said:

As far as I know we're not talking about NHRA class racing.. Given the choice I took twins.. Not given a choice, I'd still make a single fast :beer:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Is Big John running single or twins now?
Tim Palmer's car is gone and has been gone for awhile.
Randy has ran at my local track for the fun of it, does he even compete anymore?
Btw i'm not starting anything but i've seen a lot of single turbo mod motors and they make stupid power, i'm not talking about 800-900hp.
But for the street i you may be correct, i'm honestly not sure.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
LTHL PSI we should ask them, i'm sure we could get Randy to speak up on corral(maybe if he has the time).
I need to rag on him for not being on mirc as of late :poke:

psikillz

turbo 94 cobra
Established Member
4WD-Open said:
For a V configuration motor two turbos will spool quicker and be more responsive.

I'm not sure I would completly agree with that.... Twins typically use two smaller turbos vs. one big one. Which leads people to assume it will spool quicker. However, you have to keep in mind you are only using half the engine to spool each turbo. Whereas with a single, you are using all 8 cylinders to spool the turbo.

Last edited:

Rara

Established Member
Turbo system design is all about proper sizing of the turbo(s) whether it be for a single or twin setup. For a given engine, you can put together a virtually identically performing system whether single or twin turbo as long as you size the turbo(s) correctly and package things intelligently.
Twins are often chosen for V-engines for packaging reasons, and for "pimp factor" (face it, "Twin Turbo" sounds cooler than just "Turbo")

In the real world, it really just comes down to what turbos do you have to choose from, what setup will they suit best? and what type of plumbing does your system have room for . . .

wolfsburg2

50 trimmed
Established Member
i know personally i would go with a nice sized single. with all of the displacement a v8 has, you can spool a pretty large turbo quickly.

and save yourself the cost of another turbo(600+) and wastegate(200+) among other little stuff.

stevenscamaross

SVT Pimp
Established Member
wolfsburg2 said:
i know personally i would go with a nice sized single. with all of the displacement a v8 has, you can spool a pretty large turbo quickly.

and save yourself the cost of another turbo(600+) and wastegate(200+) among other little stuff.

That's teh route I would go as well. Hellion is testing their system right now. Looks promising.

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
jdk said:
As far as I know we're not talking about NHRA class racing.. Given the choice I took twins.. Not given a choice, I'd still make a single fast :beer:

I know, thats why I stated that Randy, and Tim used Singles because it was in the rules, and they didnt have a choice. Given the choice though they might have gone twin, but I dont know that. I do know Twins arent allowed in certain classes. I went twin, because I didnt plan on running at any events,a nd I hear twins spool quicker, and make big power.

wolfsburg2

50 trimmed
Established Member
"I went twin, because I didnt plan on running at any events,a nd I hear twins spool quicker, and make big power."

the reason this is the general rule is because usually you use 2 smaller twins vs 1 large single. But, like i said earlier with your guys displacement and bottom end stoutness i would urn a meaty singly. i'd think 70whp on pump and 900+ on race gas should be pretty doable with a nice sized turbo. and still keep spool somewhere in the 4k's.

Users who are viewing this thread