Trying to Save My 2.75 RR for Heaton

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
Picked up a good deal on a 2.75 RR off the Facebook. Well I thought it was a good deal but that's usually my luck. Now i believe I have the ability to fix this at home with some heat and a press but before I do it my way i'd like to see if any body else has corrected this issue. Or is the a known shop with the ability to fix this back to near perfect? Now I know these pulleys are easy to bend and the seller states it happened in shipping. Well I know that's not the case but no sense in arguing. I have machinist background and I know when the metal has been tweaked vs. dropped. Not to mention I can clearly see the Marks behind the bends from the puller. It's a pulley worth fixing that's for sure since this is a harder Pulley to come by. Thanks for everyones input.

The pulley has two bends 45* from one another.

F8CB7772_zpsb80097bd.gif

5C4612A4_zps06e34318.gif

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I think you're screwed. I have a 3.5" RR pulley for a whipple that got bent from the blower moving around in shipping. I tried taking the pulley off and putting it on a hard flat surface and hitting the edge with a flat punch. I figured the lip would bend right back down being that it was aluminum I was wrong. All it did was begin to mess up the inside of the lip but not move the outside back to where it was suppsoed to be.

I think the best solution would be to try to bolt it to something large and heavy then put a 2 jaw puller on it the opposite way and see if you can bring the edges back out. Also I though aluminum pulleys on the snout of an eaton was a no no.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
I'm going to use a press and a flat surface with heat and a tapered end to see if it will go back with out damaging the belt side. If not a lathe and stable mounted roller to see if it straightens out.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Wtf? How does one even bend a pulley like that.....then try to pawn it off? Jeezus people are assholes :nonono: I'm afraid that's a paperweight...but best of luck trying to straighten it.

TRBO VNM

The puller they used jacked it up. They didn't use the right puller. The billetflow one I have comes with a plate that you use for hubs and I use it for the aluminum pulleys as well.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
The puller they used jacked it up. They didn't use the right puller. The billetflow one I have comes with a plate that you use for hubs and I use it for the aluminum pulleys as well.

Jason I believe you are right 100%. I can clearly see the marks from a regular puller. Kinda like the ones we use for pulling harmonic balancers. I'm making the insurance claim today.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Even if you "could" bend it back it just won't work. There's not a chance it's going to run true afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread