Trying to diagnose a ticking sound

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What about a head gasket?

No sir. You usually cannot hear a bad head gasket.

To me, it sounds like a lifter that won't pressurize, or an exhaust leak.

I would run some Lucas additive through her and see if any of it quiets down some. If so, change oil and install fresh filter and run it.

What oil viscosity is in the car now?

etgt500

Established Member
No sir. You usually cannot hear a bad head gasket.

To me, it sounds like a lifter that won't pressurize, or an exhaust leak.

I would run some Lucas additive through her and see if any of it quiets down some. If so, change oil and install fresh filter and run it.

What oil viscosity is in the car now?
Motorcraft 5w 50, I was thinking of that but mystery marvel oil additive , when adding it , do I just add with my current oil and run it for 100 miles and then flush it ?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Motorcraft 5w 50, I was thinking of that but mystery marvel oil additive , when adding it , do I just add with my current oil and run it for 100 miles and then flush it ?

5w50 is too thick IMO unless you beat on the car often in warm temps (SoCal August summer as an example).

Here is what I would do:

--I'd add a bottle of seafoam and run it that way for 250 miles or so
--Drain oil and seafoam
--Add your choice of 5w30 oil (Penzoil Ultra Platinum is a good choice and affordable)
--If there is still a noise that bothers you, now go ahead and add a bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec oil additive

Drive it like you stole it and sleep good at night.

etgt500

Established Member
I went to a exhasu
5w50 is too thick IMO unless you beat on the car often in warm temps (SoCal August summer as an example).

Here is what I would do:

--Drain oil and seafoam
--Add your choice of 5w30 oil (Penzoil Ultra Platinum is a good choice and affordable)
--If there is still a noise that bothers you, now go ahead and add a bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec oil additive

Here is what I would do:

--Drain oil and seafoam

I went to an exhaust shop and he said there’s no exhaust leak but sounds like its coming near my clutch area , New video

buddha93

Established Member
Those sounds can travel and seemingly sound like they are coming from that area. I promise you, it's not.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You can give this stuff a try

Roush6018

Established Member
I think you can drive the car with the ticking noise and change the Engine Oil more often, i would not run the additive to help with the Ticking. you would want to run the additive to a motor that runs good.

If you want your car to run perfect and enjoy driving it without the noise, you are going to need to pull the head and take it to a Good Machine shop and have them find the Valve Train Part that caused the ticking. ( If no problem is found then the noise might be coming from the Short Block) then, Re-install with new head gasket and exhaust gaskets and enjoy many many more trouble free miles!

Users who are viewing this thread