Trying to diagnose a ticking sound

etgt500

Established Member
So I’ve noticed a ticking sound underneath my car located on the passenger side. 1. I can only hear it when I stick my head underneath the car on the passenger side 2. I can’t hear it from the driver side 3. The sound only comes after driving the car for a bit. I can start it up and let it warm up and the sound won’t be there at all. It also doesn’t get louder if I rev the car so I’m confused what it could be. I have a video of it as wellVideo to the ticking sound. This is to my 2008 gt500

HKusp

Established Member
Sounds like a valve ticking or MAYBE a header gasket leaking, but you say it doesn't get louder with rpm. Does it match rpm?

etgt500

Established Member
Well like I’ll rev it to 2500 and keep it there and the sound doesn’t get louder or I’ll rev it a bit higher and still it doesn’t get louder , now if it were to be a valve tick should I be worried about it ?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
So I’ve noticed a ticking sound underneath my car located on the passenger side. 1. I can only hear it when I stick my head underneath the car on the passenger side 2. I can’t hear it from the driver side 3. The sound only comes after driving the car for a bit. I can start it up and let it warm up and the sound won’t be there at all. It also doesn’t get louder if I rev the car so I’m confused what it could be. I have a video of it as wellVideo to the ticking sound. This is to my 2008 gt500

Maybe a fuel injector or (Valve Train) Lash adjusters? Get yourself a EngineEAR/ChassisEAR or stethoscope to further isolate the noise.

etgt500

Established Member
Maybe a fuel injector or (Valve Train) Lash adjusters? Get yourself a EngineEAR/ChassisEAR or stethoscope to further isolate the noise.
I will do that , I’m wondering if it’s the lash adjusters ticking should I worry about it or is it just a normal sound

HKusp

Established Member
Like Vinnie pointed out, you need to isolate where it is, so you can better determine what the action steps are to remedy the situation moving forward. If it's a gasket leak, it explains why it could be going away after the headers/manifolds warm up enough to seal. The fix could be as easy as tightening up a bolt or two, or you may have a gasket that is going south, but determining as close as possible WHERE the sound is emanating from is the first step. Get an automotive stethoscope and listen for the noise. Narrow it down.

etgt500

Established Member

Like Vinnie pointed out, you need to isolate where it is, so you can better determine what the action steps are to remedy the situation moving forward. If it's a gasket leak, it explains why it could be going away after the headers/manifolds warm up enough to seal. The fix could be as easy as tightening up a bolt or two, or you may have a gasket that is going south, but determining as close as possible WHERE the sound is emanating from is the first step. Get an automotive stethoscope and listen for the noise. Narrow it down.
Well the thing is , as the car is warmed up and not driven the sound isn’t there , it’s when I start to drive it , that’s when the sound comes. But I’ll use it when I get home and see.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I will do that , I’m wondering if it’s the lash adjusters ticking should I worry about it or is it just a normal sound
Some lash adjuster noise (Tapping) can be considered normal at idle. If noticed underload or while driving you need to investigate more thoughly.

etgt500

Established Member
Some lash adjuster noise (Tapping) can be considered normal.
I took it to a mechanic and he was telling me the sound was nothing bad just a lil loud lifters to use marvel oil to reduce the sound . He was explaining as the car gets older and with the mileage it has , it’s a normal thing , I got it with 28 k miles and the previous owner said when he got it , the old owner wouldn’t really drive it, he would just have it sitting. I’m just posting it on here to make sure because I posted it on fb and I was just getting flamed , they were saying that the mechanic doesn’t know shit and blah blah , so it made me rethink the problem lol

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I took it to a mechanic and he was telling me the sound was nothing bad just a lil loud lifters to use marvel oil to reduce the sound . He was explaining as the car gets older and with the mileage it has , it’s a normal thing , I got it with 28 k miles and the previous owner said when he got it , the old owner wouldn’t really drive it, he would just have it sitting. I’m just posting it on here to make sure because I posted it on fb and I was just getting flamed , they were saying that the mechanic doesn’t know shit and blah blah , so it made me rethink the problem lol
Im sure there is some minor wear. Its normal. A higher quality oil might help quite down the valvetrain as well. Amsoil works wonders on the 5.8's compared to motorcraft......IMO.

etgt500

Established Member
Im sure there is some minor wear. Its normal. A higher quality oil might help quite down the valvetrain as well. Amsoil works wonders on the 5.8's compared to motorcraft......IMO.
I’ll look into that , Now here’s a video of me holding my revs at 2k and then revving it to 3k it comes back after i release on the gas. Hopefully this is a better video to the sound

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll look into that , Now here’s a video of me holding my revs at 2k and then revving it to 3k it comes back after i release on the gas. Hopefully this is a better video to the sound
Thats alot more noticable in that clip! I would not assume anyone's word of how much minor wear they think is there, I would prefer a mechanic get real numbers than assume and compare to motor specifications. Thats the right way!!! Just my 2cents.

etgt500

Established Member
Thats alot more noticable in that clip! I would not assume anyone's word of how much minor wear they think is there, I would prefer a mechanic get real numbers than assume and compare to motor specifications. Thats the right way!!! Just my 2cents.
So take it back to the shop and get it inspected again ?

etgt500

Established Member
U think it’s a spin bearing or rod knock lol ?

buddha93

Established Member
Running Stainless Works long tubes on this car, so the sound is more pronounced than yours with manifolds:

Swap the plugs over, see if the ticking follows. Easy and free way to check. Don't do what I did and assume it was an adjuster, could have saved myself a lot of aggrevation.

etgt500

Established Member
Running Stainless Works long tubes on this car, so the sound is more pronounced than yours with manifolds:

Swap the plugs over, see if the ticking follows. Easy and free way to check. Don't do what I did and assume it was an adjuster, could have saved myself a lot of aggrevation.
What was the problem for you at the end ?

buddha93

Established Member
1 bad plug.

etgt500

Established Member
1 bad plug.

Hm I’ll check that out , cause I just changed them recently like a month ago and got it retuned , they don’t even have 1 k miles on them

Users who are viewing this thread