Trunk Light doesn't light up?

mdisalvo85

Established Member
My trunk light has never worked since I bought the car...I tried replacing the bulb but it didn't do anything. I looked in the manual for the fuse it would trace back to, but I found nothing. I figure this wouldn't really help anyhow because it would probably be attached to some other things that wouldn't work either if the fuse was blown. Anybody have this problem/tips/hints?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
i'm curious about this too, mine flickers quite a bit while the lid is opening. Then again, i've never really looked at it to fix it.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Check for voltage, and/or a good ground. If no voltage, start tracing the wire back to the source.

Last edited:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Do your hood, cabin and glove box lights still go on?
If they do then you might just have a bad trunk light
switch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have
never seen a dedicated PUSH ON/OFF Switch in the
trunk area. This leads me to believe that the On/Off
Switch is an inertia switch (like the hood light) located
on the Bulb connector or surrounding area. I'll take a
look at one of the tech books to see what they detail and
post later if no one else clarifies this.

Last edited:

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Yea, cabin works...strangest thing though...just realized I have NO under hood light nor do I have a glove box light...I searched and I couldn't even find where they should be...it's a 97 convertible, does this have anything to do with it? Also, I checked the voltage on the light harness and there is none at all.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Well then I guess it's not so strange then hah. I forgot about another thing, under the trunk there's a male connector with a couple wires in it that isn't attached to anything...it's coming from the direction of the drivers side...anybody else have this? it's up under the trunk and comes out of the main wire harness...

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Where is the trunk light switch?

It is a mercury switch mounted to the inside of the trunk lid just to the left of the latch mechanism. It's black with a couple of angled legs, about 1/2" x 1" x 2", with a gray electrical connector having two wires: light green with yellow stripe and black with pink stripe.
If you have ever stuffed the trunk to the rear lip, chances are pretty good that when you close the trunk you knocked the switch out of its mounting holes resulting in the mercury switch not ever reaching the proper attitude for the mercury puddle to close the contacts.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Well then I guess it's not so strange then hah. I forgot about another thing, under the trunk there's a male connector with a couple wires in it that isn't attached to anything...it's coming from the direction of the drivers side...anybody else have this? it's up under the trunk and comes out of the main wire harness...

If the connector is gray, and the wires are light green with yellow stripe and black with pink stripe, somebody stole the mercury switch that used to be connected to the wires and mounted to the inside of the trunk lid to the left of the latch. Or the switch assembly got destroyed when some slammed the lid on something stuffed into the trunk, so it was extracted to avoid electrical troubles.

mdisalvo85

Established Member
Yea...it's gone...I just connected the harness ends with a wire and the light lit right up...anybody know where to get one of these switches?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Yea...it's gone...I just connected the harness ends with a wire and the light lit right up...anybody know where to get one of these switches?

Salvage yard. Call ahead. Take an ohmmeter with you to test it as you rock it back and forth.

Alternately: a Ford stealership's parts department. Call them ahead too for price and availability.

PS - Mine doesn't work either: NO BULB!

Users who are viewing this thread