TRT discussion

tom_tom

Established Member
I thought about making a TRT thread for awhile but figured I would get reamed for my conservative approach to it lol

Been on it for 2 years. The first 18 months through a clinic. Started at 240mg a week. Had to blood dump every 3-4 months and hated it. I have a phobia about needles in my arms. I had them lower to 180mg a week. Blood was still getting thicker than I wanted. BP was ok. Estrogen was high so I went on 1mg of anastrazol and hated it.

Clinic was audited by the DEA haha so I called my PCP and he was nice enough to fill it for me. Stayed at 180mg a week. BP was rising (though not totally due to TRT). Long story short. I’m now on 2 small doses a week of 60-70mg through a diabetic needle. Test is sitting at 800s. Blood work is great. Hemoglobin is in range, hematocrit is within range. BP is still sitting elevated but I think it’s due to my diet.

Overall, my advice is to go with the dose that makes you feel the best. Start low and work your way up. If that’s 200mg a week, so be it. If it’s 100mg a week, so be it. If you’re at 250+mg a week you are on a low dose cycle and just it call it that. That’s not TRT.

I’m a weight lifter, done an all natural bodybuilding show, done a powerlifting meet. I’m 5’9 190s right now and I feel great. Body fat % is probably in the 15-17% range. For folks who may be thinking of doing it, just know clinics, gym bros etc will tell you “You have to do 200mg or more or it’s not even worth it…” Don’t believe them. Be safe. Use the lowest effective dose and don’t let “clinics” make your decision for you. They will put you on a low-dose cycle just because they can.

I always inject in my upper thigh. Switch left to right each time. No scar tissue. Again, using the diabetic needles has been a game-changer for me.
What size needles are you using for thighs? Doing 27 gauge but would like to go smaller.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Still waiting on my PCP appt but I see that I was at 583 8 years ago. Mid 40's now, is there a specific lab or draw type I should be asking for to get a good baseline???

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Still waiting on my PCP appt but I see that I was at 583 8 years ago. Mid 40's now, is there a specific lab or draw type I should be asking for to get a good baseline???
Just ask for a hormone test. Make sure total testosterone is tested. Depending on the lab anything under 250 is “low”. I doubt your PCP will do anything if it isn’t “low”. Good luck.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Like 2003RedFireVert said, get a hormone panel done. Total test, free testosterone, shbg etc.. wouldn’t hurt to check luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone as well for the first panel since you aren’t on TRT yet. Those will show if the LH/FSH are signaling the nads to work. Though this test isn’t absolutely necc. Once you start TRT there is no point in checking LH and FSH, they shut down with exogenous T.

96dreamer

Established Member
Just got my most recent labs back and my total test came in at 381.00 ng/dL. Down from 496 4 years ago which was the last time I had it tested.

I'll be 35 in August, 6'2" ~250lb and 20ish% bf. I eat pretty well, work out consistently and all other labs look fine. I suspected my test levels may be declining as I've had noticeably more fatigue and less motivation the last few years. I also have a 2.5 year old and new born which undoubtedly factors into the fatigue.

I cruised through this thread looking for guys numbers before supplementing and only found a few but it looked like I was on the lower end of normal but higher than a lot of guys that started supplementing.

That being said are my levels where you guys would recommend looking into supplementing? What would be you're first steps? Talk to pcp to see how he feels about test? Call into telle med and get an express ticket to the test train? Buy some mystery vials in the alley behind the gym.

I'm starting to look at it more seriously now as I know I'm on the low end and after having my daughter recently am done with having kids.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Just got my most recent labs back and my total test came in at 381.00 ng/dL. Down from 496 4 years ago which was the last time I had it tested.

I'll be 35 in August, 6'2" ~250lb and 20ish% bf. I eat pretty well, work out consistently and all other labs look fine. I suspected my test levels may be declining as I've had noticeably more fatigue and less motivation the last few years. I also have a 2.5 year old and new born which undoubtedly factors into the fatigue.

I cruised through this thread looking for guys numbers before supplementing and only found a few but it looked like I was on the lower end of normal but higher than a lot of guys that started supplementing.

That being said are my levels where you guys would recommend looking into supplementing? What would be you're first steps? Talk to pcp to see how he feels about test? Call into telle med and get an express ticket to the test train? Buy some mystery vials in the alley behind the gym.

I'm starting to look at it more seriously now as I know I'm on the low end and after having my daughter recently am done with having kids.
Mine were equivalent to yours. Same symptoms and characteristics as me. Same lifestyle. I went on it. So far, I haven’t regretted it. I am a very small dose (120mg-ish a week split into two doses). My labs are always great. My levels are always on the 800s now. My RBCs and cbcs are always good. My BP has been higher but I think it’s diet related.

MG0h3

Established Member

You’re right where I was when I started feeling wonky.

I’d start with the PCP and see what they say.

I use a place called Defy.

I only take test and a low dose of anastrozole.

Nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mine were equivalent to yours. Same symptoms and characteristics as me. Same lifestyle. I went on it. So far, I haven’t regretted it. I am a very small dose (120mg-ish a week split into two doses). My labs are always great. My levels are always on the 800s now. My RBCs and cbcs are always good. My BP has been higher but I think it’s diet related.
RE: BP, yeah could be diet. Ask your doc for low dose Telmisartan, its angiotensin II blocker, very mild BP med that has a ton of other benefits and is well tolerated. I typically have regular even somewhat low BP. I take my bp in the morning, sometimes after cardio and at night. This past year or two have been kinda rough. I noticed more transient spikes in BP, not super high, but enough to get my attention. My doc isn’t concerned, but when I asked for telmisartan, she pen whipped a script for me. This drug has many other benefits, metabolic, endurance, distribution of body fat to name a few.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

I would do it, don’t wait, that is my only regret with TRT, not starting in my mid/late thirties when I first noticed a decline. Did they also read LH, FSH, and SHBG/Total testosterone?

TRT is one of the best things will ever do for yourself.

96dreamer

Established Member
I would do it, don’t wait, that is my only regret with TRT, not starting in my mid/late thirties when I first noticed a decline. Did they also read LH, FSH, and SHBG/Total testosterone?

TRT is one of the best things will ever do for yourself.
No, the only test related result was total. I didn't specify anything other than total test level. Probably my fault for not being well enough informed when asking for the labs. I like my pcp but he doesn't strike me as necessarily being the most versed with test.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
RE: BP, yeah could be diet. Ask your doc for low dose Telmisartan, its angiotensin II blocker, very mild BP med that has a ton of other benefits and is well tolerated. I typically have regular even somewhat low BP. I take my bp in the morning, sometimes after cardio and at night. This past year or two have been kinda rough. I noticed more transient spikes in BP, not super high, but enough to get my attention. My doc isn’t concerned, but when I asked for telmisartan, she pen whipped a script for me. This drug has many other benefits, metabolic, endurance, distribution of body fat to name a few.

Thanks. My sister is a nurse and she isn’t overly concerned when I talk to her about it. My doc wasn’t too concerned either. It’s always 120–130/80-90 but can spike to 135-140/90-100 at times which makes me nervous. I’ll keep this in mind next time I talk to my PCP. Appreciate it brother!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thanks. My sister is a nurse and she isn’t overly concerned when I talk to her about it. My doc wasn’t too concerned either. It’s always 120–130/80-90 but can spike to 135-140/90-100 at times which makes me nervous. I’ll keep this in mind next time I talk to my PCP. Appreciate it brother!
That’s pretty much what’s going on with mine. I am usually in range, but occasionally have a spike.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I just want to drop this 14 off at Triangle Speed Shop and hand them my wallet. I hate tearing into these DOHC motors.

I will do a compression test and probably pull the valve cover, but I am not sure how far I want to go beyond that in the driveway. LS motors on the other hand I have torn down in my garage/driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread