Trouble Getting in Reverse

StewartJ23

Established Member
Hey for all you transmission experts. My 03' has about 60,000 miles on it, stock t-56, when I first start it and drive it, it will go into every gear smooth and perfect, but after about an 1 1/2 to 2 hours of driving it WILL NOT go into reverse and will start having mild struggle going into first, just needs a little nudge but still a pain. I don't understand what this could be, someone mentioned maybe the clutch wasn't getting engaged all the way, but I know that is not the problem. If you all need any other information or anything please let me know. This is driving me crazy! Thanks for any help!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I don't understand what this could be, someone mentioned maybe the clutch wasn't getting engaged all the way, but I know that is not the problem.

what makes you say that you know that's not the problem?

what kind of cable/quadrant/adjuster setup is on the car?

the reason i ask is because in my experience what you describe is because there is too much slack in the cable

StewartJ23

Established Member
Because if it was the cable why would it take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to start acting up? Also why wouldn't I have problems getting into other gears other than reverse. Not sure when the tranny fluid was changed last I'll have to check. Clutch, tranny, all the drive train is stock from the factory so about 60,000 miles on em

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
when i first bought my car i had this problem. I changed the quadrant put in a firewall adjuster, changed the transmission fluid and backed up the shift stops. never had a problem since then

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I had his problem when my clutch cable was out of adjustment. I'd do what everyone else recommended already. Fluid change and get the fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster and get it adjusted right. I would doubt its an actual tranny issue until those things were done first

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
1st and reverse are the toughest ones to get in gear if there is too much slack, because the input shaft is not spinning at all, so full disengagement is required. once the car is already moving, it makes it a easier to mesh

as far as the 1 to 2 hours, can't explain that other than maybe the problem gets worse when the car is hot :shrug:

regardless, you should check out this thread and try this on your stock setup, it might help your problem

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html

but i always tell everyone that the best mod i ever made was the quadrant/adjuster. anyway, best of luck with it! :beer:

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Search on here about this. Sounds like u still have the stock Quadrent and over time the cable stretches. Theres a simple fix.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My car does exactly what the OP mentioned. After an hour or two 1st and reverse get difficult, especially reverse. I still have the stock quadrant. But monday my trannys coming out for repairs.

emily

Established Member
I'm having the same problem with mine! Only difference I'm experiencing is that I haven't had any issues with any other gear (so far), but reverse has been a struggle recently. I noticed it only happens after driving for a while as well; I have to literally grind it into gear. I'm hoping it is just a clutch issue (although the guy I bought it off of said it was replaced about 9 months ago), but am inclined to think its tranny related as I have to jam it into gear. The only thing I can think of having to do with the clutch is the fact that the previous owner had the clutch cable adjusted so that it engaged closer to the seat, for lack of a better term, but wouldn't see how that would affect only reverse. Its a painful situation...

Users who are viewing this thread