Triple Fore hat/#80s/2.75"/E-85 installed. Heading to dyno Friday

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well, I've been working on a new combo for a few weeks. Triple Fore hat, #80s and a 2.75" upper on my Whipple 2.3. I've got E-85 in the tank and heading to Alternative Auto near D town Friday for a tune and some numbers.

Then Sunday going to Mid Michigan Motorplex with some buddies for test and tune. I'll post results after both. Wish me luck!

Ray H.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well, I should have some results sooner than I thought. Lideo was able to get me in Thursday instead of Friday. I'll post dyno numbers tomorrow night when I get back home. I'm hoping for some significant gains with the new fuel system and the 2.75 pulley and the E-85.
I'll keep you posted.

Ray H.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Well, I should have some results sooner than I thought. Lideo was able to get me in Thursday instead of Friday. I'll post dyno numbers tomorrow night when I get back home. I'm hoping for some significant gains with the new fuel system and the 2.75 pulley and the E-85.
I'll keep you posted.

Ray H.

i wish we had E85 here in Ct because my car loved the timing...im @ 18.5* @ 18psi with a 2.8 upper only. You should with e85 and 23* make 670/630

forcefedcobra

Established Member
congrats Ray. I'll be needing to swap to your high boost overlay since I'll be running 23 psi on the corn fuel now.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I hear you Forcefedcobra. I still have the regular overlay and with the Whipple 2.75" upper making 20+ now I'll need to upgrade to the High boost Overlay myself.

Unfortunately I had to postpone my tuning/dyno trip. I finished getting everything bolted up and ready to take to the tuner last night. Then, this morning, when I activated the fuel pumps I discovered I have a leak at the hat somewhere. I now have to drop the tank and investigate/fix the problem. Major bummer! Probably won't be able to repair and reschedule till next week sometime. I'll keep you guys posted.

Ray H.

Teej281

Established Member
AWW MAN!!! Buzz kill!!! Good luck! Hope you find it in time! Maybe you can find it and fix it today and maybe get your old appointment tomorrow?

liedenfrost

Established Member
I didn't know Lidio was doing tuning on E85. I thought he was shying away from it? Anyway, I plan on doing a similar combo and will likely get a tune from Lidio if he is doing E85. Not sure whether I will use a 2.3 or a 2.9 Whipple.
Looking forward to hearing the results.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
AWW MAN!!! Buzz kill!!! Good luck! Hope you find it in time! Maybe you can find it and fix it today and maybe get your old appointment tomorrow?

I discovered the leak at the hat about an hour or so before I was to load the car on the trailer and head out to Lideo's. I knew my day was shot. Unfortunately Friday was out so today was my only chance this week. I'll drop the tank Sunday and try to fix the leak and reschedule for next week sometime.

I didn't know Lidio was doing tuning on E85. I thought he was shying away from it? Anyway, I plan on doing a similar combo and will likely get a tune from Lidio if he is doing E85. Not sure whether I will use a 2.3 or a 2.9 Whipple.
Looking forward to hearing the results.

Well, you're right, as a rule he's not. We go back a lot of years so maybe that's why I was able to talk him into it. I assured him I had confirmed/tested E-85 in the tank. I'm sure that was also a factor.
Anyway, we'll see when I can get it repaired and reschedule the tune next week.

Ray H.

liedenfrost

Established Member
I discovered the leak at the hat about an hour or so before I was to load the car on the trailer and head out to Lideo's. I knew my day was shot. Unfortunately Friday was out so today was my only chance this week. I'll drop the tank Sunday and try to fix the leak and reschedule for next week sometime.

Well, you're right, as a rule he's not. We go back a lot of years so maybe that's why I was able to talk him into it. I assured him I had confirmed/tested E-85 in the tank. I'm sure that was also a factor.
Anyway, we'll see when I can get it repaired and reschedule the tune next week.

Ray H.

Did Lidio have a bad experience with E85? That is the rumor anyway..... It seems that E85 would be more consistent than pump gas. At least you can test E85 for ethanol concentration and the fuel is 85% a single component. I'm a chemical engineer and have tested gasolines on analytical instruments (hplc) at several gas stations while in school. Pump gas is not consistent and has varying amounts of 12 or more components. :shrug:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I got mine running on the corn and it is amazing Ray! You are going to love it. the part throttle response from the added timing is just amazing!

Now it's time for that high boost overlay............I'm gonna wait for the dead of winter to hit first. I want to enjoy driving it for now. she has spent too much time down due to issues.....

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah, I hear you! This is getting a bit exasperating trying to track down the hat leak. I resealed it a couple days ago and I have found what appears to be a minute crack in one of the #6 fittings that go into the hat. I ordered up a replacement that might be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will do it. Solving this leak thing has really been a PITA!

I'd like to get the '03 back on the road for a least a little driving before bad weather hits and I have to put it up for the winter.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread