Tried to sell back my extended warranty. No Go!

BLUBYU2

Established Member
I called my ford dealer in Naperville today and stated that I wanted to sell back my extended warranty and they told me the only way I could do that is to bring the car in to verify the mileage and they would refund the portion of the extended warranty back to the bank who is financing my loan. Isn't that a b*tch. He then proceeded to ask me "Why I would want to sell back my warranty?" I obviously forgot to mention what kind of car I was talking about.

Oh well looks like I will be looking for a mod friendly dealer in the Chicago land area. :bash:

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Yeah, they want to make sure your not over the mileage on the warranty coverage. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Its not like the F&I guy at the dealer is gonna pop your hood and point at the pulley, he has no idea what's what on the car, aside from what the odemeter reads.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That is standard process. In my experice they want you to sign a document with the date and odometer reading on it. They didn't care what was under the hood at all.

When/if you do sign the document, ask for a copy. In my case they gave me a little less cause for some reason the document kept "disappearing". More miles on car, less money back from extended warranty.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I believe you should be OK if you are thinking they will look for mods .. I doubt the mods in your sig would deny you anything ... FYI .. they just want to verify mileage I'm sure ..

Crowley

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Maybe I wasn't clear. They are going to send the check back to my finance company who has the loan and they are not going to cut me a check. I thought others on this board received checks from the residual of their warranty?

10thTerminator

Established Member
Dealer told me the same thing when I bought the car, the warrenty could only be refund to the finance company.

Been thinking of selling mine back too. If I have engine problems I don't really want the dealer touching it.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That is typically. The only reason I got the check was because the car was traded in and the loan was paid off. But they will send the $$ to the finance company. Either way, it helps you drop the principle on the loan and should help with the "title in hand" mod... :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BLUBYU2 said:
Maybe I wasn't clear. They are going to send the check back to my finance company who has the loan and they are not going to cut me a check. I thought others on this board received checks from the residual of their warranty?
Yes, that is the way it is done if you financed the car. I had the same thing done with mine. I would have liked to have had the $1500. or so for mods at the time but at least it reduced the balance on the loan. What I don't like is that even if you never use the EW they still take out a couple of hundred bucks for "servicing" your account. I sold mine back with two months of buying the car new and they still took that $200. or so out. :fm:

dtd01svt

Established Member
Hey guys, what happens if you want to sell back your warranty but the loan for the car is paid off? Will they then send YOU the check for $1500?

TK Doom

Established Member
You get the balance of the warranty pro-rated back to you in check form. That's what I got when we traded our 2001 Mustang Vert for an Aviator.

Users who are viewing this thread