Tried to get Emissions done--have a Problem

99_LS1

Established Member
I recently bought a 2003 Cobra with 6k on the clock. It came with a catback and off road mid pipe. Today I tried to get emissions done after having the stock mid pipe/cats put back on. The O2 senors where in the off road pipe and they just put them back into the stock one.

They told me they couldn't do the emissions bc the car is too low and their roller wasn't working. I guess they tried to just plug it in and it threw the Check Engine code on their screen only.

Tomorrow I am taking it to a place that just has the plug in and can do it, but I'm afraid they are going to get the same code and not pass it. I never had a problem like this before so I'm completely lost. What do I do now? Thanks.

bigmoose

Established Member
first find out what the code is! most local auto parts stores can check for free. if its an O2 code, maybe its just left from when you had the O/R pipe on there. If thats the case all you would need to do is clear the code.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
yeah, you can go to usually any local auto store and they can check the code for free. then just get it cleared off.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
It will also clear the code if you unplug the battery for like 5-10 minutes. If it really there really is something wrong though the code will come back whether you get it cleared or clear it yourself. You just have to hope it doesn't come back before the test it done.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
It will also clear the code if you unplug the battery for like 5-10 minutes. If it really there really is something wrong though the code will come back whether you get it cleared or clear it yourself. You just have to hope it doesn't come back before the test it done.

this works as well. i have a catted X and my Check Engine Light comes on here or there for no reason, most the time it turns off right away. but if it stays on, i just undo the battery and its off. you can always try that.

99_LS1

Established Member
Well the thing is, there is no code on the car itself (in the dash) that I can see. Nothing poped up after I got in the car and started it after the mid pipe switch. But the emissions place said they got a code. So with that, is it still a good idea to bring it to Auto Zone or something and get the code checked out?

This is what I don't understand. Why isn't the light coming on? If they are getting it on their screen, it should come on as a light in the car, no? It has to be working--it comes on when the car is running only on the battery.

Last edited:

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Well the thing is, there is no code on the car itself (in the dash) that I can see. Nothing poped up after I got in the car and started it after the mid pipe switch. But the emissions place said they got a code. So with that, is it still a good idea to bring it to Auto Zone or something and get the code checked out?

This is what I don't understand. Why isn't the light coming on? If they are getting it on their screen, it should come on as a light in the car, no? It has to be working--it comes on when the car is running only on the battery.

I think it could just be an old error. I'm not sure, but I think It stores the code in there, but since the problem isn't there the light doesn't come on. It's kind of like archiving your previous codes. If that's truly the case then clearing it at autozone or unplugging the battery would fix your problem. I would take ti to autozone though so they can see what the actual code was and be sure it get's cleared.

rexisme

Established Member
do the thing w/ the battery tonight, take it in tomm....... make sure you drive around a bit as well after clearing the code. on edit~ it might be the code it threw when the original owner might not of had the mil eliminators right away.

99_LS1

Established Member
Just took it to Autozone and no codes came up for them, they said it should pass. Could it be the computer had to reset after a little bit of driving around bc of the exhaust switch? Should it be ok to pass this time around? Thanks

PhillyCobra

Established Member
A few things here:

Autozone's policy is to check codes, but not clear them.

Many codes will be stored and not cause a Check Engine Light.

If you clear the code and the emissions test is done by a plug in, you will fail until the engine has had several run cycles (usually 3 or 4 trips of 8 or 10 miles). There is a code set that indicates the ECM hasn't had enough time to collect data. This is so people can't just clear a code on a malfunctioning car and get it past emissions.

Knowing what the code is will help solve your problem.

99_LS1

Established Member
^ Autozone said no codes, their thing said pass. Probably put about 40 miles on the car today. Is it even worth it to disconnect the battery to ensure anything or should I be good?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A few things here:

Autozone's policy is to check codes, but not clear them.

Many codes will be stored and not cause a Check Engine Light.

If you clear the code and the emissions test is done by a plug in, you will fail until the engine has had several run cycles (usually 3 or 4 trips of 8 or 10 miles). There is a code set that indicates the ECM hasn't had enough time to collect data. This is so people can't just clear a code on a malfunctioning car and get it past emissions.

Knowing what the code is will help solve your problem.

Yet another awesome post by PhillyCobra!:rockon::beer:

Do the drive cycles, miles alone won't give the ECM the data it needs.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Like the other guys said, it hasn't been through the "readiness monitors" as mentioned: several drive cycles. Some cars takes a short trip of varying speeds, other brands take several more drive cycles.

99_LS1

Established Member
Alright will see what happens. Been using it all day since I got it back, so hopefully between that and gettin to the place tomorrow will be good...

Users who are viewing this thread