Trick to reusing 2011+ Strut Mounts?

lsxjunkie

Established Member
I keep hearing how the 2011+ strut mounts are one time use only, even if you catch all the ball bearings during disassembly, they'll make noise if you reuse them. However, I've also heard that if they don't fall apart when you're taking them off, you should be okay to reuse. Is there a trick to taking them off in a certain way so they don't fall apart? I have a couple of sets of springs that I want to try out with my current struts and I don't want to buy new strut mounts every time.

BMR Tech

The "trick" is to take them apart properly.

Compress the spring with a spring compressor, and remove the strut mount.

Do not use an impact on the strut nut.

When re-installing, compress the spring, then seat the Upper Mount - tighten the nut, then release the spring slowly.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I think the problem is people trying to change them still in the car. Hell no. I take 5 minutes per side, remove the strut completely and put it in a strut compressor. Sometimes the rubber sticks to the spring, just poke a screwdriver in there.

vortecd

Established Member
I did my springs with no compressor using a floor jack, worked fine and no issues. I just made sure the strut mounts didn't come apart

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

When re-installing, compress the spring, then seat the Upper Mount - tighten the nut, then release the spring slowly.

+1, this is how I did it, but for the price of gt500 strut mounts I think buy the mounts and run 05-10 struts is still the best option IMHO.

lsxjunkie

Established Member

Is there any other way? I thought that was the only way to do it. I keep hearing stories about people losing ball bearings when the strut mounts separate. How the hell are those people disassembling their struts to be breaking their strut mounts like that? I don't have any experience with the 2011s though, I've only assembled GT500 struts.

Side note: I managed to hunt down a set of 55D springs. I'm planning on getting standard Boss springs for the front, and then putting the LS springs on my Brembo shocks. When I change over to winter tires, I'm just going to swap in the LS/Brembo strut into the front and the Brembo shocks into the rear. No need to beat up the LS shocks over another horrible NY winter. This way I can keep the drop and alignment, but have a more compliant ride over the craters we're inevitably going to see again this winter. Maybe this way, I can keep the miles off the LS shocks too and be able to keep them for the life of the car (hopefully 125k+)

Last edited:

ERS

Established Member
I was very careful when I took mine apart, got lucky with one, but the other side still fell apart. I think I found all of the bearings and put it back together, got lucky again and didn't make any noise at all. Im not playing that game again however, so I have a set of GT500's going in next go around for sure. Just take your time, do it properly, and go slow and careful. You might get lucky too.

bullet3z

Established Member
I still do not understand why it is better to go with the 05-10 GT500 mounts vs the 11-14 mounts? Is the only reason because the GT500 mounts are cheaper than the newer style mounts? I would think that the newer style system would be better than the older system? :shrug:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I carefully disassembled mine and still spilled the bearings. Found them and reinstalled. Still no popping 2000 miles later.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I still do not understand why it is better to go with the 05-10 GT500 mounts vs the 11-14 mounts? Is the only reason because the GT500 mounts are cheaper than the newer style mounts? I would think that the newer style system would be better than the older system? :shrug:

The 05-10 gt500 mounts are a better design, and do not fall apart. The cheaper price is a bonus.

BMR Tech

GT500 mounts are $120

11+ OEM Mounts are $80.

I can't help but find it funny how people believe the "newer style must be better" - when, a 2014 GT500 comes with - you got it, GT500 Mounts. ;)

Personally, I cannot stand the 11+ GT/V6/Boss Mounts. We have had way too many issues here, with them. Not only do they have issues with falling apart, breaking, etc....but they also have issues making noise - due to their poor design. The GT500 Mounts are also easier to install (properly)

Here is a direct comparison I did. GT500 Mount is the larger one, with the thicker rubber.

20140915_100255_zpsehvgk9n1.jpg

20140915_100330_zpsvbruyyf4.jpg

20140915_100401_zps8gx9bcu1.jpg

20140915_100617_zpshbt5mdty.jpg

20140915_100650_zpsbjrevobq.jpg

One of the "issues" I have with the 11+ Mounts, is the tiny amount of material they use. You can clearly see what I am referring to above, with the picture of it on the spring It is very common to see that rubber split/crack where the coil spring leaves the mount....causing some squeaking, groaning noises.

lsxjunkie

Established Member
GT500 mounts are $120

11+ OEM Mounts are $80.

I can't help but find it funny how people believe the "newer style must be better" - when, a 2014 GT500 comes with - you got it, GT500 Mounts. ;)

Personally, I cannot stand the 11+ GT/V6/Boss Mounts. We have had way too many issues here, with them. Not only do they have issues with falling apart, breaking, etc....but they also have issues making noise - due to their poor design. The GT500 Mounts are also easier to install (properly)

Here is a direct comparison I did. GT500 Mount is the larger one, with the thicker rubber.

20140915_100255_zpsehvgk9n1.jpg

20140915_100330_zpsvbruyyf4.jpg

20140915_100401_zps8gx9bcu1.jpg

20140915_100617_zpshbt5mdty.jpg

20140915_100650_zpsbjrevobq.jpg

One of the "issues" I have with the 11+ Mounts, is the tiny amount of material they use. You can clearly see what I am referring to above, with the picture of it on the spring It is very common to see that rubber split/crack where the coil spring leaves the mount....causing some squeaking, groaning noises.

I really wish there was a way to make the GT500 mount work on newer struts. The mount itself is easier to work with. I'm going to have to hunt down an offset socket to do this because I don't think I can even get my open 21mm down in there.

bullet3z

Established Member
GT500 mounts are $120

11+ OEM Mounts are $80.

Kelly, thanks for that. Now what is the difference between the 05-10 struts vs the 11-14 struts? I see that they are listed differently so there must be something different between them.

Users who are viewing this thread