trashcan heat shield mod

Robert Francis

Established Member
If you're talking about the "trash can" air box, theres not much too it.

I've made a couple up over the past 6-7 years. I used a "Rubbermaid" trash can - don't recall the size - but you can tell the right size by looking at one. With the stock air box removed it's not hard to visulize how to make the trash can fit in there. I already had removed my stock airbox and had a cone filter adapter on my MAF. I just cut one side of the trash can off and cut it to length to fit where the stock box went and made some measurements as to where the MAF opening should go - and used an "Exacto" knife to cut the opening. And once you have it fittign over your MAF, you then trim the sides to fit against the inside of the hood. Once you have the trash can it's not hard to do - just a couple of hours of measuring and some cutting, etc.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
granted the chikenears setup looks great, i think if he is looking for the trash can mod, he isnt looking to spend all that money and work on the setup. just my thoughts

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
i dont now how people spend that much money on a kit like that?? how much cool air are you really gonna pull up into the filter for power gains? just crazy imo

I dont know how people can buy a bad ass limited production truck and use ricer mods to half ass everything instead of just doing right the first time...

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I dont know how people can buy a bad ass limited production truck and use ricer mods to half ass everything instead of just doing right the first time...

dude its just like saying you did it 1/2 ass by getting a MP blower and not a real twin screw... dont knock the guy for saving some cash and getting the same results. the dude that did the first trash can mod make it look damn good and you cant even tell its a trash can. it held up the the heat and everything.

to the OP more power to you man, the air raid box on my truck is EXPENSIVE for what it is... piece of sheet metal with a few bends and some rubber window seal.. you can get a metal trash can too and paint it black when its all done.

Robert Francis

Established Member
For me, making the "trash can" CAI, was about the money. I would not have done it for a show truck. At the time I could'nt see paying $150+ for something I could make for $5. The "trash can" has no seams or rivets (as many of the purchased CAI cans have) and I trimmed mine on the top edges with 1/2 pipe insulation. I also cut two holes in the bottom of the trash can and ran two 3" dryer vent hoses which I connected to two plastic 3" square couplings - both painted black and bolted underneath my front fascia to draw in additional outside air. The hoses and plastic pieces probaly cost me about $16. So the whole thing was probaby cost me about $20.

Enemy

Established Member
I just did the mod, came out nice and clean, just gotta do the weather stripping around it. It came out looking nice. Sorry if I take more pride in the things that I can make than what I can buy. I just paid $3.50 with tax and made something that you paid $75+ and most of the heat shields that you guys are buying are made from the same materials as trash cans or dildo's haha. Just because mine was a trash can first makes no difference

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
dude its just like saying you did it 1/2 ass by getting a MP blower and not a real twin screw...

LOL show me ANY twin screw for $100 bucks and I would show you one that would be on my truck.
As for it being half assed talk to Topgun and his trucks halfassed MP power.

thorntonSVT

Established Member
LOL show me ANY twin screw for $100 bucks and I would show you one that would be on my truck.

I don't think he was knocking getting a MP over a twin screw. I think he was just comparing that its not half assed when ur saving money and getting the same results.. I could be wrong but that's just what I got from it.

jec1521

Jay
Established Member

Show the OP an intake heat shield for $5. It's his truck, he can do what he wants with it. I see nothing wrong with it.

Robert Francis

Established Member
And the "trash can" shield won't rust out and/or rivets work loose - and it's easy to "trim to fit" - and when you add trim to top edges, it looks very similar to an "Airaid" or "K & N" intake.

DolSVT00

Established Member
i dont now how people spend that much money on a kit like that?? how much cool air are you really gonna pull up into the filter for power gains? just crazy imo

Ive got plumbing for sewer lines,trash can parts and home made junk all over my truck...................................

But the "Half A$$" POS runs 7.40s in the 1/8 mile on the Eaton almost every weekend.

And last time I had a good quater mile run over 2 years ago on nothing more than homemade junk and a 5# lower on a ported blower it ran 12.10 @ 109

Judging by track times, I'll take my homemade sewer pipe/trashcan junk over your expensive stuff anyday.

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
12.1?
Sweet, I netted a 109.35 a few weekends ago, with some traction its ncie to know low 12s are possible.

And to the OP, if it works, good enough for me

Ive got plumbing for sewer lines,trash can parts and home made junk all over my truck...................................

But the "Half A$$" POS runs 7.40s in the 1/8 mile on the Eaton almost every weekend.

And last time I had a good quater mile run over 2 years ago on nothing more than homemade junk and a 5# lower on a ported blower it ran 12.10 @ 109

Judging by track times, I'll take my homemade sewer pipe/trashcan junk over your expensive stuff anyday.

Users who are viewing this thread