Transmission??

Jettsaleen281

UT at Austin
Established Member
hey swtmustangman... would you be willing to show me ur car one day? i've been thinking of doing a tko 600 upgrade.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i'm going with a tko500; because i busted a 3550 (the predecessor of the new TKOs). D&D performance told me the tko500 and tko600 have the same input shaft and only the input shaft cluster gears and gear ratios are the only difference between the two transmissions. :shrug:

Don't expect the PHP adapter to fix anything, it won't by itself. it will clear it up a bit though. a few people on the corral have seen good results by using about 1/4" of spacers (along with the adapter) to lift the back of the trans up to correct driveline angle. You'll also want to look in to the UPR or Steeda driveshaft spacer. I have the UPR version. Get which ever one is cheaper, its just a hunk of aluminum.

i would keep to the GM syncromesh. that's what Tremec calls for, that's what should go in it.

I asked the guy at D&D about whether it shifts good at high rpms because i also read on the corral that the new TKO's don't like high RPM shifting. THe guy at DD said that they use the same synchro's as my 3550 and will just like it.

Your trans won't get any smoother, its a sturdy transmission and will take a LOT of abuse. trust me on this one. you'll be pleased with it i think :)

Last edited:

swtmustangman

Established Member
The Tko 500 and the TKO 600 have different input shafts. D&D told you otherwise? According to tremec there are 3 different input shafts available. Stock input is 10 spline if I'm correct.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
swtmustangman said:
The Tko 500 and the TKO 600 have different input shafts. D&D told you otherwise? According to tremec there are 3 different input shafts available. Stock input is 10 spline if I'm correct.

i know, even D&D website has two different versions to buy. I can only assume that he meant its made out of the same material. i dunno.

quadcammer said:
I hear they don't love to shift smoothly over 7000rpm, if you plan to rev it.

what i found on the corral was that they didn't like shifting above 6500...which got me to worrying. But the guy at D&D said its the same synchros and it will shift however my 3550 shifts. i've shifted my 3550 off the limiter before....so i guess we'll see.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Badasp5.0 said:
A t-5 behind a modular??? :shrug:

I would get a T56 since you can get them with a modular bellhousing so easy these days!

The G-Force T5 can go behind a modular because T5's have a removable bellhousing. They just use a modular bellhousing and wa-la! The G-Force T5 is one of the strongest trannies out there, and it is one bad bitch for sure.

If I was you, I'de spend $700-$1000 dollars and have ProMotion Powertrain build you a built T45 with 26-spline input shaft and carbon-fiber synchros (among other things) and have the stock fit and finish with good strength as well. Not to mention, the T45's are smooth-shifting and love RPM.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Slick shift???

Please expound.... I may be swapping up to a 600 (481 lbs of torque to the tires means my tranny may have its days numbered, plus the 3.27 1st gear needs to go) and this may be something I'm looking for since this 500 is notchy as hell...

swtmustangman

Established Member
damn, maybe I should have done more research before buying the tko600. I ordered the php adaptor plate to eliminate the really terrible vibrations. It literally sounds like I'm dragging my exhaust. Another inch and a half, I would be....*sigh*.....

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
their slick shift mod is cutting every other tooth off the synchros to allow for high rpm shifting. they assured me that it would not affect streetability or downshifting. But they said i could get about 400-500 more rpms for shifting.

svtcobra306: if you do any drag racing on the motor, you will NEED that 3.27 first gear. These cars are HEAVY and have NO TORQUE. you'll need it to get the car rolling.

swtmustangman: yeah, i had that problem too with my 3550. i had the php adapter, the d/s spacer and it still vibrated. then i found out my bellhousing was way out of alignment. do you have the big red lakewood scattershield? if so you should really get it indexed and aligned. if not you will have vibes and could possibly destroy your transmission like i did.

Users who are viewing this thread