Transmission grind

slowbra1

Established Member
We've been put on double secret probation.

Dean_Wormer_Animal_House.JPG

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Get the MGW2. I have the gen 1 but heard that this fixes it. I have had the tranny fixed by two different dealerships with some improvement but the shifter made the most improvement

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The problem is internal, but is compounded by the absolutely horseshit design of a shifter that the factory put in these cars. The MGW2 does without question, take the shifter problem completely out of the equation, so if you're one of the lucky ones that got a transmission that works almost like its supposed to, the MGW2 will absolutely make a huge difference and might make your shifting grind diminish or go away altogether. However, if you were graced with one of the many transmissions that is just completely flawed internally, no shifter or external mod you make will "fix" it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The problem is internal, but is compounded by the absolutely horseshit design of a shifter that the factory put in these cars. The MGW2 does without question, take the shifter problem completely out of the equation, so if you're one of the lucky ones that got a transmission that works almost like its supposed to, the MGW2 will absolutely make a huge difference and might make your shifting grind diminish or go away altogether. However, if you were graced with one of the many transmissions that is just completely flawed internally, no shifter or external mod you make will "fix" it.

True story.

frizi

I am currently dealing with the same problems... Rebuilt tranny back in January by a "reputable" shop, McCleod RXT, MGW Gen 2 shifter. Still does not want to go into second. Picked up the tranny yesterday and hope to have installed Saturday. Needless to say, I am disappointed with everything except the clutch at this point. Took the tranny to shop, they say they dissassembled and there were no problems, but the fluid came out looking like brain matter. Replaced all synchros with carbon hybrid, brass shift fork pads, new 2nd gear and slider assembly. They blame the clutch for not releasing. You guys are right, this transmission is a POS.

Users who are viewing this thread