transmission fluid

Salmonsnake

Established Member
Hey guys i just swapped an 04 cobra t56 into my 96 cobra and i was wondering what trans fluid i should use? i just picked up some napa non-synthetic atf (stock) but ive heard i should be using, amsoil, mobile 1 or even gmsynchromesh fluid? some help here would be great !

Blueline

Established Member
Do a search on here quick, because some guys are gonna come on here and blast you for not searching this topic, it has been asked ALOT ha. Either way, I have 4 qts. of GM synchromesh waiting to go in this weekend when I change out my rear gear fluid after break-in. GL!

satin03cobra

Established Member
man its easy to shop for fluids without even knowing which one you need...here is how you tell. Look at the prices ex. differential fluid.

8.00, 7.00, 10.00, 19.00......there we go, that must be the one I have to use.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have had this in since 05, love it, it did slightly improve shifts, and it did slightly quiet the rolling gear noise.

synchromax.gif

Royal Purple Manual Transmission Fluid

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I've been running the Pennzoil Syncromesh in mine since it was built two years ago. Zero issues. I changed the fluid after a year and it was still as clean as when it went in.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I emailed tremec and the only two they recommended other than motorcraft atf was pennzoil synchromesh and mobil 1 atf. Many people have used other stuff with great success. I myself am switching to the synchromesh when the car gets out of storage.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I put GM synchromesh in mine about a month ago and it cured my hard to shift concern at high rpm at the track. I figure the T56 is in the camaro and it calls for that sooooo.....

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I put GM synchromesh in mine about a month ago and it cured my hard to shift concern at high rpm at the track. I figure the T56 is in the camaro and it calls for that sooooo.....

Probably 'cause it's a GM fluid in a GM transmission;-)

Here's a copy of some info I posted in that other thread (post #79):

Adding to all that, most of these fluids that get used in the T-56 are the equivalent of a 20wt motor oil (or an 80W gear oil). The SAE measures the viscosity in what is called "CentiStokes" (cSt) @ 100C (212F). The higher the number, the higher the viscosity.

For a 20wt, the cSt range is 5.6 - 9.3
For a 30wt, the cSt range is 9.3 - 12.5

With all that in mind, here are the viscosity numbers for many of the fluids for the T-56:

Redline MTL: 10.6
Amsoil Synchromesh: 9.6

Penzoil/GM Synchromesh: 9.08
Royal Purple Synchromax: 7.7
Amsoil ATF: 7.6
Redline D4 ATF: 7.5
Motorcraft Mercon V: 7.5
Mobil 1 ATF: 7.5

For what it is worth, if you ask Tremec directly, they will tell you that Mobil1 ATF is what they recommend.

Adding this for a good reference:

ViscosityClassificationEquivalents.jpg

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
So, what you are saying is that the Penzoil Synchromesh is the best COST EFFECTIVE fluid to put in a T-56.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So, what you are saying is that the Penzoil Synchromesh is the best COST EFFECTIVE fluid to put in a T-56.

Thats what I've gathered from searching on here and modularford and talking to tremec they say its fine. But I'm wondering how often it should be changed?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

What are you using to infer it is the most cost effective??

As for changing intervals, there is really nothing specified. All depends on how you use the vehicle and how much you abuse it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Not actually,

There is a trade off between Synchromesh versus ATF. Just for reference, Pennzoil makes cheaper base stock synchromesh.

Synchromesh is more viscous. When the transmission is cold, it will not shift as well as the same transmission using ATF. When it's hot, the shifting differences may not be as noticeable, especially if you are using a top tier synchromesh. Since it's also more viscous, this is why it makes a transmission quieter than ATF.

That's the comparison I really want to see. Hmmm....maybe that's my next project. Although, my current fill of AMSOIL ATF shifts so well, I don't see how an improvement is possible, so I think it's a waste of time and money for me to experiment.

I've compared cheap base stock synchromesh to a top tier ATF, but have never tried a top tier synchromesh. Hands down, the top tier (grade) ATF beats the performance of cheap synchromesh. IMO, I wouldn't choose a cheap synchromesh over a top tier ATF.

Now, if you want to talk about cost effective using extended drain intervals...

I would look no further than Amsoil

Amsoil ATF
Amsoil Synchromesh

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Not actually,

There is a trade off between Synchromesh versus ATF. Just for reference, Pennzoil makes cheaper base stock synchromesh.

Synchromesh is more viscous. When the transmission is cold, it will not shift as well as the same transmission using ATF. When it's hot, the shifting differences may not be as noticeable, especially if you are using a top tier synchromesh. Since it's also more viscous, this is why it makes a transmission quieter than ATF.

That's the comparison I really want to see. Hmmm....maybe that's my next project. Although, my current fill of AMSOIL ATF shifts so well, I don't see how an improvement is possible, so I think it's a waste of time and money for me to experiment.

I've compared cheap base stock synchromesh to a top tier ATF, but have never tried a top tier synchromesh. Hands down, the top tier (grade) ATF beats the performance of cheap synchromesh. IMO, I wouldn't choose a cheap synchromesh over a top tier ATF.

Now, if you want to talk about cost effective using extended drain intervals...

I would look no further than Amsoil

Amsoil ATF
Amsoil Synchromesh

The statement about the transmission fluid being cold and "harder" to shift with the Pennzoil is true. However, it only takes me getting out of the neighborhood and a half of a mile down the road for that issue to be gone. I've driven it in 30-40 degree weather as well, so it really isn't that big of an issue. Other than that, it seems to be fine. For reference, I used GM syncromesh in the TKO in my foxbody years ago and it was the same with having to get a little bit of heat in it when it was cold.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I agree, the cold conditions shouldn't last long. I simply meant that the ATF would shift easier at comparable cold start ambient temperatures due to the lower viscosity. This shouldn't make a big difference at normal operating temps.

Users who are viewing this thread