Transmission fluid came out at the race track!

wenger828

Established Member
Anyone experience this? I was at Pocono raceway over the weekend and after the last turn, opening it up on the straight, shifting into 4th (or maybe 5th? i don't remember), i lost power and instantly saw a huge plume of smoke behind my car. I don't know if I had actually lost power or simply missed the gear since it all happened so quickly. Coasted and took it easy the rest of the lap. I jacked the car up and saw trans fluid all over the place. Since the search function doesn't work on this site I couldn't really find if people had a similiar issue although google did bring up a few posts about trans fluid spitting out of the vent tube. Has anyone experienced this? I read somewhere someone had installed a catch can, any recommendations as to what catch can to use? I'm lucky the fluid didn't get on the rear tires doing almost 120mph next to the wall at Pocono!

Blackmax

Established Member
I had oil coming out the vent, I was going to install a catch can at first but the decided to extend the vent hose up the firewall. Its been fine since.

barspen

Established Member
If it's temperature related (that would be my guess), you might want to invest in a trans cooler scoop. Takes about 10 minutes to install and shoots fresh air over the trans. It will set up back about $115. A nice side effect is that the center console area stays noticeably cooler during highway driving.

Blackmax

Established Member
under what condition did the oil come out of the vent?

80 plus degrees at track running quarter miles, like I say just add enough tube to extend it up the firewall and keep the valve on the end. If you still have oil coming out then look at catch can and maybe cooler.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Did you just change the trans fluid? If so, did you use thread sealer on BOTH the drain and fill plug?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Can anyone tell me the location of the vent? I briefly looked but couldn't find it

Runs along the top of the case on the passenger side. End should be right about at the bell.

You can see it in this pic:
tremec_tr-6060_650.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread