Trans noise????

scott818

Banned
Just bought my 04 cobra and it only has 7k on it bone stock. 1rst gear is very noisey, is this normal? There are no vibrations or hesitation but there is a bumping noise evry once and a while with the clutch pushed in, as I select a gear. Anyone have an idea?

svtrookie

Established Member
Hey man,

I bought a cobra a few months ago with 13,000 miles on it. I experience the same thing. After doing some research, I determined it's a common issue on most cobras. Use the search feature to read more about the situation.

-Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is common with the T-56 unfortunately. Some get lucky and don't experience the first gear noise you describe. Mine was very noisy in first gear. So much so that I'd bump up the revs to mask it. For the more common tranny gear noise, one of my shifter gaskets will help by providing a complete seal between the shifter and the tranny, thus helping to minimize the tranny (gear) noise from being transmitted through the shifter into the cabin. A cheap mod. And it works.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Hey Bob, does your gasket cure that rolling gear sound? I can hear my transmission whine during regular driving... aftermarket shifter. That the noise your talking about?
Drives me insane.

balls deep

Established Member
CobraBob said:
It is common with the T-56 unfortunately. Some get lucky and don't experience the first gear noise you describe. Mine was very noisy in first gear. So much so that I'd bump up the revs to mask it. For the more common tranny gear noise, one of my shifter gaskets will help by providing a complete seal between the shifter and the tranny, thus helping to minimize the tranny (gear) noise from being transmitted through the shifter into the cabin. A cheap mod. And it works.

My cobra makes a noise similar to marbles rolling around, when accelerating slowly in first or second gear. Is this due to the clutch, or would this gasket your referring to help?

Users who are viewing this thread