Trans grinding ?

Skip03Vert

Established Member
Alright so whats up guys, I have a 03 with a 3.0 pulley and simple bolt ons. The throwout started making noise and then as i would drive i would go 1-2-3-4-5-6 and it had a little like howling noise that slowly turned into grinding inbetween each gear.

Last night we replace the throw out bearing (steeda quad and FWA) with my spec 2+. First off the pedal feel is so much NICER, but it drove 5miles PERFECT then the noise/grind came back. Like when it is in neutral i push in the clutch and go to rev it it makes the grinding noise again and when I shift inbetween gears.

If i drive normally and like seriously push the clutch in in between shifts and let the r's drop it doesnt do it.

Seriously this is driving me nuts, especially pulling that damn bitch bolt at 1:00 on the tranny out.

Any ideas?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Whens the last time you changed the tranny oil? I'd drain it and see what comes out..... Put some syncro max back in there....

SVT_Troy

Established Member
No, use the penzoil syncromesh fluid.

and thats what I meant....just saw I said sycro max.....haha sorry! but either the penzoil or RP is what most say works better. I myself experienced less noise and smoother shifting with the RP. Im not sure what the previous owner had in there but when I drained it, it didn't look/smell to good....

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I would have replaced the sleeve while you were in there with a beefed up aftermarket unit, the OEM ones have a tendency to come apart at the shoulder.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I actually just changed my TOB over the weekend as well. If I drive real easy - there is no issue. If I push the car a bit - there is a little bit of grinding between shifts.

I was just coming to SVTP to see if anybody else had this issue - and this thread was a the top.

Skip - did adding a little fluid correct your issue?

I know I lost a little fluid when I swapped out the TOB - I didn't think it was much to be concerned about. I'll try to get the levels right and see if that corrects the issue.

Skip03Vert

Established Member
Nah chip I was too nervous about the synchromesh so I flushe it and put in Mobil 1 and it was a little better but it's right back to square one. I'm thinking of replacing the cable, clutch fork and putting a beefy sleeve on it. Otherwise I'm just going to put the turbo on and wait for it to shit out then do a full rebuild

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I finally got my new quadrant and firewall adjuster in last night. I adjusted all the slack out and a little more for good measure. In driving to work today - it feels different, a little more notchy I guess, but slight grinding seems to be gone.

I do have a little more "Marble" noises than normal still - so I still think I may be a little low on fluid (does that sound like something that may cause this?). I'll try to get the transmission fluid changed out or topped off this weekend and see if that makes all the odd noises disappear.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
l added a little fluid into the transmission through the shifter hole. It was just the pyramid portion of the quart bottle worth of fluid, and it sure did quiet down the marble noises a lot. If I overfilled it - it can't be my much at all as I don't think I even added a quarter quart.

After tightening up the clutch cable - I still get a little bit of grinding when I drive aggressively. I really don't understand why. I have set the clutch engagement closer to the end of the clutch pedal's rest position - thinking I may have not been disengaging the clutch enough - but the slight grind is still there every once in a while. Fortunately - with the extra stuff done I can at least drive normal now (versus granny shifting).

I can only think that I somehow damaged the transmission when I removed it to change the TOB or while I drove it with slightly less fluid. I just don't understand what I could have been damaged.

Skip03Vert

Established Member
I currently started my single turbo build so I haven't dining anything to mine yet, we are rebuilding my buddy's t56 from his vette in our down time while we wait for parts so if his holds together and we did it right I'm gonna rip mine apart. No lift power shifting probably toasted it.

stradt03

Established Member
I have the same grinding issues when performing "spirited driving"

It drives me nuts. I am waiting until fall to start digging into it. I'm interested to see if you find a remedy

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I've done everything I can think of short of sending the car to a transmission shop for them to diagnose the issue. I'm at a loss on this one. At the same time - I'm far from a Transmission expert.

One co-worker of mine suggested that maybe I somehow damaged a syncro. He suggested if I double clutch and it shifts smoothly that way - that more than likely that is the culprit damaged part. A shift done in the amount of time it takes me to double clutch produce the same result as double clutching, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Users who are viewing this thread