Tranny temps and towing (results inside)

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Hey, gang--

I towed 400 miles with the Lightning this past weekend, and it was the first trip after installing my transmission temperature gauge. Trailer was 1,200lbs and my drag car project weighs right at 2,500lbs. So, a grand total of 3,700 lbs in tow.

The results:

-With the temperature at 88* and about 50% humidity, the tranny temp climbed to about 155* and stayed there. This was at 55-65mph steady highway driving with no stops.

-Once in town and doing the stop-and-go thing, the temps would raise up to 165-ish* but would never go past the 170 mark.

-On the drive back (at night time, with 75* showing on the outside temp display), the tranny temps never got above 155* at all.

Comparing those temps to my unladen temps of 135-145* when daily driving....and I'd say the factory tranny cooler does a pretty good job, at least in my situation.

Greg Evans states on his website that 190* is where the tranny fluid begins to really get hot and break down. So, I feel the 165 and even 170* temps aren't anything for me to worry about.

Packrat

Established Member
First, thanks for the great information!! :rockon: I would like to add that the 190* trans oil temp seems very conservative and believe that if you check with one of the major oil companies, they would agree. I currently tow a 20' Haulmark enclosed which is slightly over 3,000# empty and then throw a 69 big block Camaro inside just for added measure. The L handles this combination exceptionally well with the only draw back being you can't pass many gas stations along the way. The only mod that I've installed related to towing is the addition of "Air Ride" load assist on the rear leafs. I personally like to tow in "style" and feel the Lightning has all that is required to get the job done and look great doing it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll also be hooking a 26' boat up to my girl in the near future which will be slightly heavier than the other combination and pulling in the extreme Utah (Lake Powell) heat. You just need to pay attention to those tires! Tow on girls and boys! :beer:

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Just an additional note on this: I towed a friend's Civic hatch from the dragstrip on Sunday (broken tranny). I could not believe how light that car is. *Maybe* 1700 lbs, if that.

It was so light that you couldn't strap it down too hard or else the car would move in the direction of the tie-downs when you cranked them down. With the e-brake engaged. And in gear.

Compared to my 2,500lb SE-R... that Civic hatch felt like I had an open trailer in tow. It was really light.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Originally posted by SERprise SVT
Comparing those temps to my unladen temps of 135-145* when daily driving....and I'd say the factory tranny cooler does a pretty good job, at least in my situation.

Yes, the factory trans cooler is hard to beat.

Good post! I've always wondered what kinds of temps my trans was seeing when I have my Stang in tow.:thumbsup:

Blown347Hatch

so long
Hey, gang--

I towed 400 miles with the Lightning this past weekend, and it was the first trip after installing my transmission temperature gauge. Trailer was 1,200lbs and my drag car project weighs right at 2,500lbs. So, a grand total of 3,700 lbs in tow.

The results:

-With the temperature at 88* and about 50% humidity, the tranny temp climbed to about 155* and stayed there. This was at 55-65mph steady highway driving with no stops.

-Once in town and doing the stop-and-go thing, the temps would raise up to 165-ish* but would never go past the 170 mark.

-On the drive back (at night time, with 75* showing on the outside temp display), the tranny temps never got above 155* at all.

Greg Evans states on his website that 190* is where the tranny fluid begins to really get hot and break down. So, I feel the 165 and even 170* temps aren't anything for me to worry about.

What thermostat are you running?

Reason I ask, doesn't the Lightning have the trans fluid go through a cooler installed in the radiator tank before going through the external cooler? My 1993 F-150 was set up that way from factory.

Thanks,
Greg

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Factory thermostat in the truck. I have no mods, nor have I changed anything other than fluids, etc. since buying the truck.

Kujo...take that $165 and buy some of those sharp floor mats from Chickenears. ;)

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Last week I had to take a little trip down south to the island in NC where I grew up to get the rest of my furniture, tools, and lawn tractor out of storage. Not certain how much weight I had, but the tongue scraped several times during the trip. The mountains of WV were no problem for the L, weighted down or not. :) I pulled it at 70 the entire way in overdrive. Only shifted down 3 or 4 times times.
This is my truck on the island causeway the day we got there
558027_74_full.jpg

Took this of the light house the day before we left
558027_70_full.jpg

And this is the truck with the furniture and mowers in the trailer.
Had to put the tools in the bed after I took this picture because the trailer was full.
558027_73_full.jpg

This was just a picture I took of the sunset the night before we left.
558027_71_full.jpg

Last edited:

Purerock105

Established Member
Originally posted by Rainman15
Last week I had to take a little trip down south to the island in NC where I grew up
558027_70_full.jpg

Cape Lookout. :) I'm from Virginia Beach and my wife have
visited most if not all(access) of the NC lighthouses. Love
taking the ferry to Ocracoke. I was at the Cape Hatteras light
when they re-lit it after the much debated move in 1999.

:beer:

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Cool pics. I love the small coastal towns of NC. Southport is my fav, so far.

Hope you enjoyed the WV Turnpike on the trip down. Nice and twisty.

Rainman15

Petey RIP 04/29/05
Established Member
Cool pics. I love the small coastal towns of NC. Southport is my fav, so far.

Hope you enjoyed the WV Turnpike on the trip down. Nice and twisty.
Southport is a nice little town. The WV twisty was an awesome road to travel, without the trailer. I love how everyone else is gradually slowing down as soon as you hit an incline, but the L digs in and maintains speed. Torque is great!

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Hey Rainman15, I would never, ever tow in O/D. Especially up and down hills. I know, the truck pulls fine because of all the torque, but it creates lots of heat. It will shorten the life of your transmission. I manage an AAMCO transmissions and although I'm not a mechanic I see this happen all the time.

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Originally posted by ITHAULS
Hey Rainman15, I would never, ever tow in O/D. Especially up and down hills. I know, the truck pulls fine because of all the torque, but it creates lots of heat. It will shorten the life of your transmission. I manage an AAMCO transmissions and although I'm not a mechanic I see this happen all the time.

My numbers at the top of this post were all with the transmission in OD. I'm sure you see this a lot at AAMCO...however...most vehicles these days do not come with a factory tranny cooler. Or if they do...they are too small.

Do *you* think 160-170* temps are too high for our trannies?

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
My numbers at the top of this post were all with the transmission in OD. I'm sure you see this a lot at AAMCO...however...most vehicles these days do not come with a factory tranny cooler. Or if they do...they are too small.

Do *you* think 160-170* temps are too high for our trannies?

Nope. It may have to do with my location. High 90's+high humidity=all summer long. Also, your average person does not maintain things (like flushing cooling systems on time) as well as an L enthusiast. That stuff makes a difference. I don't know what it is that makes O/D so weak, but it goes for any automatic. Just like a Lentech AOD tranny. They hold like 800HP in 1-3, but only like 400 in O/D. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread