tranny problems

tweetersvt

Established Member
I know I havent been around in a while, but I'm back now. I posted a couple of days ago about problems with my tranny. I can take it to the dealership tomorrow, but I like fixing my own stuff. Here's the deal. After about every 450miles if highway driving, my tranny throws the out-put seal. There is a sleeve that the driveshaft goes into when it is inserted into the tranny. That sleeve keeps backing out pushing the seal out with it. Then the sleeve moves further down the driveshaft yoke and then the vibration starts. I had to change the seal 3 times on the way from Florida to Texas, and re-insert the sleeve into the tranny. Any ideas on what caused this, or how I can fix it for good?

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
That 'sleeve' is a bushing. It should be staked into the tailhousing. The tailhousing needs to come off and looked at by someone who can tell you why it spun the bushing. Is your truck slammed? Have you checked your pinion angle?

tweetersvt

Established Member
No, I havent dropped it at all, but I was running around with my tractionbars preloaded for a short period of time. You think that could be the cause of it?

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
I work at an AAMCO and we get a lot of fleet trucks/vans where that happens when they're so overloaded that the ass end is sagging. If the bars were set up with too much pinion angle it's the same effect. Whatever you do, get it fixed because if it that bushing starts spinning in the tailhousing it will produce an amazing amount of metal and damage the transmission in a hurry. On the other hand, you might just be able to knock a new bushing in without any problem.

Edit: BTW, how does the yoke look?

Last edited:

tweetersvt

Established Member
the yoke on the driveshaft has "hot spots" where you can tell it has gotten hot. The bushing is no longer backing out of the tranny, but I think it's to late for my tranny. I've got vibration at highway speeds, and the panitary shaft has about 1/4 inch of play in it. As soon as I am able to take it in, I'm going to put it on a trailer and take it to Austin for the warranty work.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Sorry, I haven't been online in days! Anyway, did it have any vibration before? If it did, that can cause the bushing to come out also. I happen to have a good front yoke if you end up needing one. I'd damn sure take those bars off before you take it in for warranty work.

tweetersvt

Established Member
Well, I took the bars off about half-way through my 1800 mile road trip, but I have one problem. I can change the bracket from the leafpack/rearend to stock, but I had to install a solid bushing and bracket for the front of the leafs. There is no way I can change that back. I have come to the conclusion that driving with my springs preloaded is the culprit of my delima but I think I have found a good dealership that dosent frown on mods too much.

Users who are viewing this thread