tranny options

dublekick

Established Member
Ok so I'm throwing in a new engine set up that's looking to be around 800hp/tq. Right now I have a standard t56 with a 26 spline and a spec stage 3+ clutch. I realize that the tranny will be on borrowed time. It seems that everyone has a different experience with how long theirs lasts. But I would like to upgrade anyway. I do not want an auto at all. I love my 6spd. I have checked out many options from tremec liberty d&d lethal performance etc. And everyone has a different tq rating. I was curious as to who runs what and what their experience is as well is lethal blowing smoke up my a$$ with their 1000+ tq rating. As far as how I drive I don't race but I do a bit of hooning and hard pulls on freeways and such. I never dump the clutch at high rpms etc.

itSSlow98

Established Member
RPM transmissions builds some nasty 6 speeds but your talking $3k+. Make sure you discuss what options you have to make sure the fluid reaches the input shatf and cluster gear under long pulls. Mine overheated and ruined both in just a few thousands miles from highway pulls. Its fixed now and im putting a sprayer setup on it.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Are you referring to your stock t56 over heating?

Stock with a tremec 26 spline input. Either way the front gears are gonna be deprived of fluid under long pulls when the fluid goes to the back of the case. The new magnums and tr6060s come with gear driven fluid pumps in the front of the trans now for this issue.

SlowSVT

Established Member
A Magnum would be a better starting point and are not too expensive. It has wider gears and all the shifting fork and syncro upgrades. Then again talking to Liberty they have mods for even the Magnum so there is room for improvement there (will it ever end? :nonono:).

The OEM T56 are pretty impressive though. Frying one on top end runs is not uncommon but keep in mind putting 800 hp thru any tranny is going to take it's toll.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread