Tranny cooler?

BurninRubb3r

Established Member
I was sooooo bored today at work. So, I started o browse around the internet for things I could buy for my 99 lightning. I began writing down everything I wanted in a nice and neat order (all intake/exhaust mods together, all interior mods together etc).

I looked over my list and realized I don't have anything to support the tranny. Instead of building it, or replacing it, I was thinking more along the lines of a transmission cooler. I don't beat the hell out of my car, but I do drive a little aggressive from time to time (I do take it to the track on the weekends when it isn't snowing!)

Beginning my search with google (where else?), I came across this:

Mishimoto Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler W/ Electric Fan, by Mishimoto

After doing even more research on it, it looks as if it was just released and has extremely high expectations to perform well. Anybody else see this?

Once the holidays are over, I am hoping to be able to buy a nice digital camera and start a "build" thread!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I didnt click the link but the Super Duty tranny cooler i put in mine (and lots of others have too) dropped my temps by about 45 degrees (hot summer conditions)

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Ok looked at the link..... a Ford Super Duty cooler is about 2 1/2 times bigger than the one your looking at. No fan but i really dont think you need one. If you get in touch with fordsvtparts here on the boards and tell him you want the super duty cooler that everyone puts in the lightnings he will know exactly what you need

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ok looked at the link..... a Ford Super Duty cooler is about 2 1/2 times bigger than the one your looking at. No fan but i really dont think you need one. If you get in touch with fordsvtparts here on the boards and tell him you want the super duty cooler that everyone puts in the lightnings he will know exactly what you need

That's your best bet. It's a very simple mod.

PaulthePUNISHER

Established Member
dont use the tube/fin style coolers. the stacked plate factory type ford coolers are much more efficient. think of it this way......a 90* bend in a pipe is equal in restriction to 25ft of straight pipe. there are usually 8-12 180* bends in those tube/fin coolers. do the math.......

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
what kind of tranny temps has anyone datalogged verus the stock cooler??

Well i didnt data log but going by my guage. Sitting in park and just letting it bake in the summer i could get the tranny up to 180 (summer heat mind you)
Start driving and would take getting on the highway for about 10 miles to see a real drop in temps. Now with the superduty cooler sitting in park in summer heat mine will not go above 150 and pretty much as soon as i start moving the temp starts dropping. On the highway it sits at about 130 i guess (been a while since i have driven the truck.
edit: in this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2nd-generation-22/655514-small-things.html the second photo down is my truck and you can see the cooler thru my grill, not to much narrower than the radiator. I also put an inline filter (ph8a) just incase

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread