trade cobra for GT500?

gtmuscle

Established Member
I have a buyer for my 03 anniversary cobra. I am thinking about getting an 07 GT500 with about the same miles (17,000) and with just a little more power, 550 for the GT500 and 525 for the cobra.

If anybody has done this, are there regrets or was it a good change?

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
I have an 03 with 450 and test drove an 07 with supposedly 600 HP. I couldnt see trading as i felt my 03 was faster still and the inside didnt wow me like i thought it would.

hunterp

Established Member
I think you'd have to drive one to make up your mind, but there's no doubt that a current Shelby platform is better to work with than a platform that got its start in the late 70's intended for a sedan.

gtmuscle

Established Member
i drove the one i would get and it did not feel as fast.

It had 550 vs. the 525 in my cobra, and was tuned by the same shop, but it felt heavier. I can put it up to 600 or so and it would probably feel as fast.

Im in my mid 40's and thought the GT500 was a little more refined for my age.

It is larger inside and out and has a more modern feel due to the age. its just that the cobra feels like a race car and the GT500 feels like a fast sedan.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
i drove the one i would get and it did not feel as fast.

It had 550 vs. the 525 in my cobra, and was tuned by the same shop, but it felt heavier. I can put it up to 600 or so and it would probably feel as fast.

Im in my mid 40's and thought the GT500 was a little more refined for my age.

It is larger inside and out and has a more modern feel due to the age. its just that the cobra feels like a race car and the GT500 feels like a fast sedan.

It probably won't feel as fast with power numbers that similar, but if you looked at actual times, it would probably be comparable. The power seems to be a little more refined in the GT500's, so although it may not feel as fast, it probably is. Also, mod for mod for the GT500 and will always have more power than the Cobra. At this point, it just depends how much more you have to pay on top of your Cobra to get the GT500. If it's not that much, it's a no-brainer imo, but if you're looking at some serious cash, it may not be worth it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
my car and 12K

Huh? I thought you said you had a buyer for your Cobra? This deal sounds like a dealership trade-in. Or by "buyer" did you mean a dealer? :??:

I definitely would sell your car privately and then buy a GT500 if that's what you want. Only problem is, you'll likely lose the GT500 you're currently looking at. Unless the interested buyer you have is a private sale. Technology/quality wise the GT500 is a superior car. You just have to decide which car you like more. It sounds to me like you're unsure. If you're unsure, I'd stick with what you have. JMO.

Just curious. Have you considered a 2007 Z-06? Two seats, of course, but 505hp and approximately 3,175 lbs. (depending on the packages chosen) is mighty nice. The 2007 GT500 weighs 3,920 lbs. That's a difference of 745 lbs. The Terminator coupe, by the way, weighs 3,665 lbs. Might not be a car you have any interest in owning.

gtmuscle

Established Member
i have a buyer for the car and the guy who has the GT500 is willing to swap plus i give him 12K.

I am happy with the cobra just looking for a little more room and size inside, plus the creature and modern comforts. Im just worried about losing that sports car feel.

the 12K isn't really an issue just hate to make the wrong decision.

skyhighsd

Established Member
i have a buyer for the car and the guy who has the GT500 is willing to swap plus i give him 12K.

I am happy with the cobra just looking for a little more room and size inside, plus the creature and modern comforts. Im just worried about losing that sports car feel.

the 12K isn't really an issue just hate to make the wrong decision.

If thats what you are looking for you will get it, if the GT500 is not lowered you will miss the sports car feel. But once you take care of some susp. mods you will be happy.

Also I traded my 03 cobra for my 08 GT500 in the fall of 07 and only once and awhile do I miss it. Someday I will put another 03/04 in the garage next to the 500. GL

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
a 2003 cobra + 12k sounds a bit too much for a 2007 gt500. Maybe for a 2010.

Agreed.

With the prices I have been seeing while cross shopping GT500's and 03/04 Cobras, seems to be only about a $8k difference between an 03, and an 07. I personally have leaned towards a GT500 since not only is it newer, but better overall for slightly more money.

Both are unique to themselves, so all comes down to preference.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
The 500 is a heavy car and I see alot more of them than Cobra's, if its not your DD I'd keep the 03.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Drive the GT500 at least one or two more times. The more you test drive it the more you'll be able to make an objective comparison. Then decide which car you like better overall. Make a short list of pros and cons of each to help you. If you are then leaning towards the GT500 then see if the guy will come down a bit on his cash price.

gtmuscle

Established Member
i am doing that today!!

He will come down to 10K plus my car.

the GT500 has a lot of mods, to inlcude full suspension, revan heat exchanger, brakes and lines, pullies, CAI, throttlebody, 3.73 grears etc., but so does mine!!

i would consider the mods a wash and consider the deal a 03 cobra with 17,000 miles for a 2007 GT500 with 12,000 miles as we all know you won't get your mod money unless its a upgraded supercharger, even if you do then!

Users who are viewing this thread