Tractionless, Texas DD tire recommendation?

7upstang

Established Member
Started with nt05r. Not a bad tire.

Now have mt SS and it is far and away a stickier tire tbat provides WAY more traction than the nt05r.

MT will hold 10psi of boost on a 3rd gear hwy roll.

Nt05r will not.

Nt05r handles better.... Much better.

Neither tire is good in the rain... At all.

What size was the Mickey Thompson?

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Another vote for MPSS, I can hook even in first gear with only 275's If i ease into the throttle. I don't DD my car but they are an excellent tire for traction as well as the rain

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Exhaust/ Intake/ Tune 2011 GT Manual

Currently have 305/35-20 MT Street Comps on the rear, and I can't hook until the top of 2nd gear. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DD tire that will see rain occasionally? I would LOVE to hook at a ~20 roll in 1st, am I asking too much of a street tire? Thinking about going to a 555r to get some mileage out of the tire, but I'm afraid I won't be happy with the rain performance.

Thanks in advance!

I am having the same issue as you. Mine wont hook even 3rd. I can be rollin at 60 then hit it they just smoke and I go sideways.

Last edited:

TheBorkinator

Established Member
I am having the same issue as you. Mine wont hook even 3rd. I can be rollin at 60 then hit it they just smoke and I go sideways.

With the mods you have in your signature you're breaking loose in 3rd? I have mostly the same stuff and if it's warm out I can hook from a 20 roll. You won't hook if it's not warm out though. I think that holds true for any tire.

KushBandit

Established Member
With the mods you have in your signature you're breaking loose in 3rd? I have mostly the same stuff and if it's warm out I can hook from a 20 roll. You won't hook if it's not warm out though. I think that holds true for any tire.

Eh, M/T street comps on a 6R80 car with 3.73s is asking for a smoke show lol. Honestly, I don't know anyone who has liked those tires.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member

Yes sir 3rd. Are you on street comps? BTW on 88+ degree days it wont hook.

Last edited:

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Yes sir 3rd. Are you on street comps? BTW on 88+ degree days it wont hook.

shit my fault I didn't look at your tires. I'm running the Pilot Supersports. Like I said I can hook pretty hard from a 20 roll and we have mostly the same mods. You ever try the Pilots?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
No I thought these were going to grip lol. The American Muscle chat guys were telling me they would grip from a dig lol.

No the only other tire I have had on this car are the stock p-zeros.

We drove it the other day and did a little burnout and they sorta gripped better. Maybe on those 105 degree Florida days maybe they will be better when the roads are consistently hot.

TheBorkinator

Established Member
No I thought these were going to grip lol. The American Muscle chat guys were telling me they would grip from a dig lol.

No the only other tire I have had on this car are the stock p-zeros.

We drove it the other day and did a little burnout and they sorta gripped better. Maybe on those 105 degree Florida days maybe they will be better when the roads are consistently hot.

Should be mentioned that mine is manual, I'm not sure how the different transmissions affect traction. Try out the Pilots on your next go. On a 75 degree day I usually have to do a short burnout to heat them up but after that I'll chirp 2nd and grip hard. I'm excited to see what they do when it's really hot out.

cjd223

Established Member
305/45-18 555Rs are my daily driver tires. They work just fine in the rain. Did a 1.59 60' with them. Launched from idle with TC on. Turned it off before it shifted to 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread