Tractionless, Texas DD tire recommendation?

my95z28

Established Member
Exhaust/ Intake/ Tune 2011 GT Manual

Currently have 305/35-20 MT Street Comps on the rear, and I can't hook until the top of 2nd gear. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DD tire that will see rain occasionally? I would LOVE to hook at a ~20 roll in 1st, am I asking too much of a street tire? Thinking about going to a 555r to get some mileage out of the tire, but I'm afraid I won't be happy with the rain performance.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
If it's in your budget, look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have yet to see a street tire that can beat it for everyday use. They're not cheap though.

rotarymagic

Established Member
Exhaust/ Intake/ Tune 2011 GT Manual

Currently have 305/35-20 MT Street Radials on the rear, and I can't hook until the top of 2nd gear. Does anyone have a recommendation for a DD tire that will see rain occasionally? I would LOVE to hook at a ~20 roll in 1st, am I asking too much of a street tire? Thinking about going to a 555r to get some mileage out of the tire, but I'm afraid I won't be happy with the rain performance.

Thanks in advance!

You have ET street radials or street comps? That doesn't make any sense that you can't hook et street radials in 1st or 2nd. Are you on sportline springs or something? I run 275/60/15 nitto 555R drag radials as DD tires and can hook from a stop or 10roll or any of that (A6 with stock converter currently though). I have driven them through 3 hurricanes worth of rain and never had any issues as I drive very carefully in the rain. I definitely feel like the 555R is way safer in the rain than the stock Pirellis which tended to hydroplane very easily and would spin aggressively when the car was at WOT.

my95z28

Established Member
You have ET street radials or street comps? That doesn't make any sense that you can't hook et street radials in 1st or 2nd. Are you on sportline springs or something? I run 275/60/15 nitto 555R drag radials as DD tires and can hook from a stop or 10roll or any of that (A6 with stock converter currently though). I have driven them through 3 hurricanes worth of rain and never had any issues as I drive very carefully in the rain. I definitely feel like the 555R is way safer in the rain than the stock Pirellis which tended to hydroplane very easily and would spin aggressively when the car was at WOT.

Street Comps, my bad. Corrected the typo

my95z28

Established Member
If it's in your budget, look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have yet to see a street tire that can beat it for everyday use. They're not cheap though.

Honestly what I was looking for. If I need to spend 400 a tire to get that traction I will, just didn't want to do it blindly and not see a big difference. Thanks!

badblackhemi

Established Member
I second the MPSS's. I've always recommended them for a dd tire. I went from blowing the tires off on my bolt on 2011 to hooking from a 20 roll. And that was with 275s. Car had mt82/3.73 gears. Same mods, intake/exhaust/tune

KushBandit

Established Member
NT05R or MT SS > MPSS

NT05R has no traction in the rain whatsoever. The M/T ET Street SS are also terrible in the rain, worse than the Nitto. The NT05R is better than anything M/T makes, IMO. Having used both, I say they hook great when its hot but don't get caught in the rain. Tread wear is minimal on both. Somewhere around 0-100. They definitely hook up better than the MPSS when you're racing around, however they aren't good DD tires.

_Snake_

Established Member
I've done a ton of research looking for a the best DD tire and Kush's feedback matches everthing I've found. I already decided to go with the MPSS, and its good to see something else backing my choice.

OP - the bottom line is that there are much more sticky tires out there, but they either have no tread life or don't do well in the rain.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Look at Toyo R888s as well,have a friend that has them on his ZR1 and swears by them,I am gonna try some when I need new tires.

Myusername

Established Member
Michelin pilot super sports or if you don't mind a little soft side wall continental extreme contact dw

noldevin

Established Member
I love my super sports but I'm still wanting more. Bridgestone RE11s are worth a look. Still decent in the rain (though you have to be a bit careful in heavy rain), but more sticky at 200TW.

evil281

Established Member
I use the 305/35/20 NT555R and they have pretty decent traction considering my power levels and they were fine in the rain. I'm actually surprised how long they are lasting tread wise as well.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
What kind of tread life can you expect with the MPSS? I know driving habits will have a big influence. I daily drive with occasional aggressive driving, most of the time just drive normal.

george.arnold

Established Member
I'm on my second set of Continental Extreme Contact DW and I really like them. Hook well for me with an Exhaust/Intake/Tune/Suspension 2011 manual. I have no issues with them in the rain.

rotarymagic

Established Member
For a really soft DR, I have had good luck with M&H's in the rain before. When I say "good luck", I drive for conditions and do not perform any sudden movements.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Started with nt05r. Not a bad tire.

Now have mt SS and it is far and away a stickier tire tbat provides WAY more traction than the nt05r.

MT will hold 10psi of boost on a 3rd gear hwy roll.

Nt05r will not.

Nt05r handles better.... Much better.

Neither tire is good in the rain... At all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread