traction control

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I've never heard of anyone turning it on at the track. Any movement of the car left or right, for example, could cause the motor to cut out, which would counterproductive when drag racing. Here's some more info if you need it. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092337

Disabled TC with the XCal2 because it's worthless.
I forgot to turn it off once at the track. Almost cropped the grass.
Hitting an apex then having the power disappear is scary.
Forgot how it works...
Retarded timing and fuel-shut-off?
Jeff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Disabled TC with the XCal2 because it's worthless.
I forgot to turn it off once at the track. Almost cropped the grass.
Hitting an apex then having the power disappear is scary.
Forgot how it works...
Retarded timing and fuel-shut-off?
Jeff

Yep. Here's the exact info from my link above.

The Cobra's Traction Control System is an all-speed traction control system (TCS) that is standard equipment on all the 2003/2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobras. The system's "Power Start" feature allows the driver to spin the drive wheels under acceleration, as long as the car tracks straight. If the system senses the vehicle slipping sideways, the traction control system will engage. The system also has a driver-selectable on/off switch.

With the TCS activated, when either of the two rear ABS/traction control sensors detects a wheel spinning at a rate higher than its counterpart, the engine management system retards ignition timing and modulates the fuel-air ratio to reduce power to that wheel. If the spinning continues, engine management cuts off one or more cylinders, and the ABS applies braking to the spinning wheel, transferring power to the other drive wheel.

The sophisticated system can detect the difference between wheel spin due to acceleration from cornering slippage, based on differences in slip rates at the wheels. The TCS engine management strategies work at all speeds, and the system can apply braking to either rear wheel at speeds up to 62 mph.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Yep. Here's the exact info from my link above.

The Cobra's Traction Control System is an all-speed traction control system (TCS) that is standard equipment on all the 2003/2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobras. The system's "Power Start" feature allows the driver to spin the drive wheels under acceleration, as long as the car tracks straight. If the system senses the vehicle slipping sideways, the traction control system will engage. The system also has a driver-selectable on/off switch.

With the TCS activated, when either of the two rear ABS/traction control sensors detects a wheel spinning at a rate higher than its counterpart, the engine management system retards ignition timing and modulates the fuel-air ratio to reduce power to that wheel. If the spinning continues, engine management cuts off one or more cylinders, and the ABS applies braking to the spinning wheel, transferring power to the other drive wheel.

The sophisticated system can detect the difference between wheel spin due to acceleration from cornering slippage, based on differences in slip rates at the wheels. The TCS engine management strategies work at all speeds, and the system can apply braking to either rear wheel at speeds up to 62 mph.

Bob, you have a plethora of knowledge.
People should feel lucky with such folks as you who have been there and done that.
Jeff

Crazy Ray

Established Member
I was just confused on one thing. When the light is on that means that the system is off or not. Reason I ask is that the fog light switch light is on when their on. So if the light is on for traction control that means it on right, or wrong ?

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
I was just confused on one thing. When the light is on that means that the system is off or not. Reason I ask is that the fog light switch light is on when their on. So if the light is on for traction control that means it on right, or wrong ?

If the Light is ON the TCS is off:)burnout:).... if the Light is OFF then the TCS is ON

mysticalsnake

Established Member
think of it this way. any system that comes activated or deactivated by default from the factory will leave the light off (the headlights, foglights, TCS being ON in this case) all come with the light off and the switch also being in the default setting. When you make the opposite happen (such as turn on the headlight/foglights) you have different things happen. The gauges become lit up green with the marker/head lights on, the led on the foglight switch comes on with the foglights on, and the light above the TCS comes on when you turn it off as you have then changed it from the factory setting of "ON"

so in short: light on, TCS off. light off, TCS on

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is confusing....until you get the hang of it. My routine was always to start the car, and then turn TC off.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I leave mine on most of the time especialy on rainy days. During daily driving it helps me practice keeping the traction right on the edge and not spin. Racing I turn it off .

Users who are viewing this thread