Traction control

freebird50

Established Member
Any options out there for traction control with my 98 vortech cobra? I know about Davis and wonder if I can use it with my stock ECU or if I need a stand alone. Really struggling with grip up to freeway speeds and I would like to be able to go to the track and not spin my tires. Maybe certain tires would help too? Currently running 275s pilot sport PS2 and have no traction whatsoever. It's fun but for competition spinning doesn't do me much good. Thanks.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
First of all the PS2 is the most worthless tire ive ever owned for traction! The absolute WORST. U need MT SS's.

U need a stand alone to run a Davis. There is another option for those that do not have stand alones. I have this on my Mustang. Its not cheap but it works great. Its from Racetronics.....

The Gamechanger is just a hidden version. I went with the 2 sensor option with brake control. When u start making big power it works less efficiently but thats at 1000+ whp otherwise it works great!

Imo this is far better than the Davis as the Davis imo only works good at the track when conditions are perfect. I had a Davis on my Turbo Hayabusa with a stand alone.

On the street getting the Davis to work properly with continuing road and weather conditions changing its almost impossible to get it to work right.

This unit doesnt pull timing in the brake version it just applies brake pressure when the front sensors see that the rear sensors are slipping and applies very light and quick brake activation to stop the rear tire from spinning.

Any options out there for traction control with my 98 vortech cobra? I know about Davis and wonder if I can use it with my stock ECU or if I need a stand alone. Really struggling with grip up to freeway speeds and I would like to be able to go to the track and not spin my tires. Maybe certain tires would help too? Currently running 275s pilot sport PS2 and have no traction whatsoever. It's fun but for competition spinning doesn't do me much good. Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
First of all the PS2 is the most worthless tire ive ever owned for traction! The absolute WORST. U need MT SS's.

U need a stand alone to run a Davis. There is another option for those that do not have stand alones. I have this on my Mustang. Its not cheap but it works great. Its from Racetronics.....

The Gamechanger is just a hidden version. I went with the 2 sensor option with brake control. When u start making big power it works less efficiently but thats at 1000+ whp otherwise it works great!

Imo this is far better than the Davis as the Davis imo only works good at the track when conditions are perfect. I had a Davis on my Turbo Hayabusa with a stand alone.

On the street getting the Davis to work properly with continuing road and weather conditions changing its almost impossible to get it to work right.

This unit doesnt pull timing in the brake version it just applies brake pressure when the front sensors see that the rear sensors are slipping and applies very light and quick brake activation to stop the rear tire from spinning.

My Davis worked good. I ran it off the driveshaft speed setup to pull timing and ramp back in. You can set it up to do boost bleed if u have a wastegate too. But I always turned it off during races. Proper suspension setup and tire made traction a non issues on a prepped track.

I never got into no prep but I know setting up for that is a trickier.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
What’s your power setup? I just put a set of 315/35-17 Toyo TQ drag radials on my mach1 they stick like glue approx 320 rwhp and I run Hoosier 275/60-15 drag radials on my cobra they hook great 550 ish rwhp

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

freebird50

Established Member

Thanks for the info.

freebird50

Established Member
Suspension setup is key. Get that sorted and the tire will do its job.
I have Bilstein shocks and struts non adjustable. Not sure what the springs are since they've been on the car longer than I've had it. It's lower than stock and pretty stiff. Still has front and rear sway bars. Maximum motorsports lower control arms and j and m upper control arms. And Bilstein quad shocks.

freebird50

Established Member
Good luck finding any tire that hooks.

My 305 Dr and 730hp are a mess under 60-65
As far as suspension goes can you set it up so it still corners well and also has grip at the drag strip? Or is it pick one or the other?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
As far as suspension goes can you set it up so it still corners well and also has grip at the drag strip? Or is it pick one or the other?

One or the other lol my car went from a carver to a straight line had to redo all my suspension now I can hook on a 275/60-15 Hoosier drag radial with the proper conditions at the track now street it’s a different thing if the tire isn’t warm it will blow them off 1-2 gear and hook in 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
One or the other for hooking or cornering with that power level. Or you can try to do both not great if that makes sense.

Dusten

Established Member

Drag racing needs soft suspension and weight transfer.
Weight transfer is the enemy of a road course.

You can do 1 or the other well. Or both half assed.

Users who are viewing this thread