TRACTION and OR LONG BAR set up

gazim

Established Member
I'm on the market for some long arms just wanted to get a feel for what some of you guys are running and or some idea of the best quality name brand stuff thats out there and worth the money.

I just got back from the track last night with a 4 hour tow him dude to a broken drive shaft.. truck went 13.06 @ 103.6 with a dead hook 1.80 60 ft. with ET STREET 2 tires 4# lower and a can tune. lowered with a 3.5" shackle rear drop everything else is stock.

so in short what is the best product to buy? lol and yes i have ordered a DS loop along with a new stock allot DS.

Thanks

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Long bars are t-bars.

Long bars are fine despite their lack of adjustility and pre-load like some brands provide. Many 10 second and even 9 second trucks run long bars, its just a metter of choosing the brand.

I've had JLP long bars for years. If I were in the market to buy now I'd opt for Stiffler's setup. Stifler's wasn't an option in 2006 when I bought mine. My biggest complaint with long bars is the adverse ride quality that results from the limited suspension travel/articulation since they mount directly to the frame.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Long bars are t-bars.

Long bars are fine despite their lack of adjustility and pre-load like some brands provide. Many 10 second and even 9 second trucks run long bars, its just a metter of choosing the brand.

I've had JLP long bars for years. If I were in the market to buy now I'd opt for Stiffler's setup. Stifler's wasn't an option in 2006 when I bought mine. My biggest complaint with long bars is the adverse ride quality that results from the limited suspension travel/articulation since they mount directly to the frame.

Do stifflers limit travel as well?

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I'm not entirely familiar withy how the Stiffler's mount, but they are long bars and I believe they secure directly to the frame and/or the Stiffler's X-Brace so limited suspension articulation will still occur. Another perk of the Stiffler's is that the difference in where they mount allows for more clearance than other long bars.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
while you're back there have you ever checked your pinion angle? Might be worth looking at to help, hope it didnt tear up a buncha other stuff under there

gazim

Established Member
i have been leaning towards the stiflers set up... thanks for the feed back.

As for the truck everything else seems to be ok, just basically tore the DS right out of it.. alloy is the weakest thing back there so thats what let go first i guess. sticky track , a 1.800 60 and axle wrap . :) and i don't really know what i am looking for as to the pinion angle. truck is lowered with Eibach shackles... thats about all i know I'm new to the lightning world.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Shackles by themselves won't affect pinion angle enough to warrant shims but you can measure just to be sure. It takes seconds to determine pinion angle, you'll spend longer jacking up the truck.

0 to -5* is acceptable pinion angle.
-3.9* is stock.
-1* is great for DD'ing.
-2* is great for racing due to the additional axle wrap during hard launches.

Negative pinion angle refers to the snout of the differential pointing towards the ground and is important because as the axle rolls during acceleration the snout rotates towards the bed of the truck, nearing (or exceeding) 0*.

Positive pinion angle refer to the sount of the differential pointing towards the underside of the bed... no good since the angle gets more severe during acceleration.

On the other end of the drive shaft the output shaft angle is of equal importance and is measured using the same method used to measure pinion angle. The pinion angle and output shaft angles should basically be the same, the only difference being that the pinion angle should be negative whereas the output shaft angle should be positive (ex. -3* pinion angle and a +3* output shaft angle).

gazim

Established Member
Thanks so much for the info man... I'm going to look into that on saturday! The reason for all my questions is that i have been into mustangs for almost 18 years now and have spent thousands on certain parts only to realize that i should have gone with different things from the get go. I just want to do this truck right the first time... so i will be going with the stifflers set up i just want to spend my hard earned money correctly and the first time. I appreciate all the input from everyone. I love my truck, and just want it to work well and hook nails and NEVER have to spend 600 bux on DS again! LOL

Last edited:

Tom@Stifflers

Established Member
This is the link to our long bar setup if you haven't seen it yet. They have been a great product for us: http://buystifflers.com/lightningharleydavidsonlongbarsystem.aspx

If you have further questions, beyond what has been answered here or in the link above, feel free to reach out to Brian at the shop. He can answer any of your questions or concerns with our long bar setup.

Users who are viewing this thread