Trackey - standard or option?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hey Fellahs,

So some of the stuff I've read implies that Trackey is a dealer installed option, while other info implies that it is standard on all the Boss cars.

What is the real info?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Oh yeah, and when is the Utah track day? Or will it be an ongoing thing with periodic events over the course of B302 production?

StillIntense

Established Member
I just came from ordering my Boss. My understanding is that the key itself comes WITH the car, but we must order the additional track tune separately and the dealer installs it in the PCM.
No word on the track day yet as to the date. It sounds like it's one event only to me, but I'll be there no matter what.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
I just came from ordering my Boss. My understanding is that the key itself comes WITH the car, but we must order the additional track tune separately and the dealer installs it in the PCM.
No word on the track day yet as to the date. It sounds like it's one event only to me, but I'll be there no matter what.

Did they give you a quote or at least an estimate on the PCM / setup for the Trackey?

StillIntense

Established Member
No, there is no documentation on price or option check on the order guide or in the ordering system in Ford (that we could find). Additionally, the press releases from Ford describe the keys as essentially coming with the car. After also watching the Boss 302 special on SPEED last night, where they stated that the new owners would get both keys, I can only assume at this point that the key comes with the car. I am much less certain about the deal with the PCM tune. It could be that both the key and the tune are on the car when delivered.....

StillIntense

Established Member

Husker

Established Member
I wonder if you get TWO keys that work normally, one just happens to be red and if you decide to go with the TT you would use the red one, I bet the black one would also work if you programed it....:shrug:

Husker

sprint200

Established Member
As I understand it, the Trackey comes standard with the Laguna Seca but is an aftermarket Ford Racing Parts option for the base Boss. When they (FRPP) have said in the past "keep your warranty" it has usually meant only a 12 month, 12k mile warranty period (as with the TVS s/c upgrade for the GT500's). I don't know about this one though. We'll have to wait and see.

I still don't think they've spilled all of the proverbial beans regarding the Trackey yet though:pop:

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
On the speed channel thing last night they had said that the red key turns the car into a 302R like what was raced during the Continental tire series.

sprint200

Established Member
On the speed channel thing last night they had said that the red key turns the car into a 302R like what was raced during the Continental tire series.

Can't completely get there on 91 octane unleaded pump gas, though..................

but I do think there's more to the tune than just driveability tweaks and throttle response. We'll have to wait and see what the dyno numbers are

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
As reg gt guys can have 2 or 3 keys I can see someone coming up w various instant key options as gt guys already can program a valet key for the gt also. As good as a old switch chip. Ford themselves already said it was built in just nobody had done these many parameters before. I'd love the cj/scj 2 step if I had a stick.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Can't completely get there on 91 octane unleaded pump gas, though..................

but I do think there's more to the tune than just driveability tweaks and throttle response. We'll have to wait and see what the dyno numbers are

it does completely change the engine calibration to the racing tune. the key turns off something called skip shift. it turns on a traction control. it changes the calibration to the racing settings.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member

That is not possible with all the emissions equipment, OEM restrictive exhaust, and fuel requirements.

This key will probably change stability and traction control profiles, Drive by wire response, possibly ignition timing, and maybe slight changes to the fuel map.

It is not going to give the car 50 more HP... maybe 15 with all the exhaust baffles removed.. and that is optimistic.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It will most likely be someone's aftermarket 93 octane tune, but I am expecting someone to get a BOSS to one hundred HP per liter flywheel within 6 months of launch.
Basic mods and tune. Such as long tubes, 3" cats(in and out), perhaps a different cold air.

No inside information just a pure guess since the design just appears so right to me and also if BMW can get more than 100 per liter on the 4.0, so can FORD.

I know, I am hopeless.:dw: I have been a Ford guy since I knew what a Ford was. It was when I was about 6 years old in 1958.:rockon:
This thing makes a Cosworth almost look primitive.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
They will have these things making 500 crank HP in about 2-3 months.

Longtubes, a good exhaust, good tune, and an intake will put it very close to 500. I'm sure the Boss intake manifold will respond even better than the GTs do to cold air intakes and better piping.

That and a set of 302R BBS wheels make me really want to buy one.

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
That is not possible with all the emissions equipment, OEM restrictive exhaust, and fuel requirements.

This key will probably change stability and traction control profiles, Drive by wire response, possibly ignition timing, and maybe slight changes to the fuel map.

It is not going to give the car 50 more HP... maybe 15 with all the exhaust baffles removed.. and that is optimistic.
Understanding that the full 302R HP is not going to be available how much HP does the 302R have?

My bet is the Trackey adds 20-30 HP.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Understanding that the full 302R HP is not going to be available how much HP does the 302R have?

My bet is the Trackey adds 20-30 HP.

How much it has and how much it is allowed to make in competition are 2 different questions. I don't know how much it could make, but I heard on Speed a couple times it was limited to between 420 and 430 HP.

I suppose 20 ish HP may be possible from timing advancement and 91+ octane fuel.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Do you have the answers to the two questions?

I edited my post above...

Considering the street Boss will make 444 (I had heard the output was upped by 4 HP) I'm sure the 302R could make well over 500 with the better exhaust, cams and intake system it has, but I dont have any real evidence of that.

Users who are viewing this thread