Track Pack oil change

jtfx6552

Established Member
Over on the Shelby forum, a few people complained the filters leaked with a 3/4 turn passed contact.

How tight are you guys making the filter?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Contact and 3/4 turn, 270 degrees and no leaks. 820S filter.
Make sure you remove the old filter gasket before installing new filter.

From the 2014 Factory Service Manual

Install a new engine oil filter.
  • Lubricate the oil filter gasket with clean engine oil and tighten until the seal makes contact.
  • Using a suitable oil filter strap wrench, tighten the filter an additional 270 degrees.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

• Lubricate the oil filter gasket with clean engine oil and tighten until the seal makes contact.
  • Using a suitable oil filter strap wrench, tighten the filter an additional 270 degrees.
About this. Probably closer to a full turn. I've done it enough that I know when it's tight enough and won't leak and I will be able to remove it by hand at the next oil change. Never leaks a drop of oil.
S.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I tighten until the gskt. touches the filter base, then turn a little bit more by hand till it is tight and I'm good.

Your title made me think this post was about a way to drain the oil from the oil cooler, still would like a way to do this without opening up a lot of things to do this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just don't go crazy on it, there's no reason too. I can't image how loose those guys are putting the filer on if they are getting it to leak. I've never had a filter leak.

Snoopy49

Established Member
All the leaks I have read about were caused by the double gasket problem. Failure to confirm removal of old gasket before installing new filter and gasket.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

Just don't go crazy on it, there's no reason too. I can't image how loose those guys are putting the filer on if they are getting it to leak. I've never had a filter leak.
All the leaks I have read about were caused by the double gasket problem. Failure to confirm removal of old gasket before installing new filter and gasket.
+1 to all of this.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Another little trick I do is grab a sheet of aluminum foil from the kitchen. I form it over the top of the K-member/subframe and sort of funnel it down to the drain pan. It eliminates the mess when removing the oil filter.
S.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Yup, I do something very similar. I wrap the frame with a plastic grocery bag and paper towel, then blue painters tape it. Then take a fast food plastic soda cup, one of the large ones, cut a little bit off the top to shorten it, and after you get the filter loose, you can "grab" it through the cup and take it off, the cup catches all the excess.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Then take a fast food plastic soda cup, one of the large ones, and after you get the filter loose, you can "grab" it through the cup and take it off, then the cup catches all the excess.

Sure beats a white tee shirt with a coffee colored sleeve and 1st degree burns.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Then take a fast food plastic soda cup, one of the large ones, and after you get the filter loose, you can "grab" it through the cup and take it off, then the cup catches all the excess.

Priceless! Need to grab the 2 liter out of the recycle bin and cut the ends off.

Tom

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Another little trick I do is grab a sheet of aluminum foil from the kitchen. I form it over the top of the K-member/subframe and sort of funnel it down to the drain pan. It eliminates the mess when removing the oil filter.
S.

Genius!!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Yup, I do something very similar. I wrap the frame with a plastic trash bag and paper towel, then blue painters tape it. Then take a fast food plastic soda cup, one of the large ones, and after you get the filter loose, you can "grab" it through the cup and take it off, then the cup catches all the excess.
That is a good idea. I'll have to try that in lieu of my aluminum foil wrap, lol.
S.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Sure beats a white tee shirt with a coffee colored sleeve and 1st degree burns.

^^^ This is what drove the plastic cup. Even it you just hold it up there until the residual drains out, it helps to avoid getting burned and trying to hold onto a hot filter.

Users who are viewing this thread