Track Key... How much power added?

Tyler72

Established Member
Getting my track key programmed tomorrow. Was kinda hesitant to do it until I found out that SCT is working on a template to allow tuners to retain use of the special strategy required to use the 2 different keys.

Anyone heard how much difference the key makes power wise?

If not, anyone care to guess?

We might have time to strap it up tomorrow after work & make a few pulls on the dyno with & without the key just to see what it really does.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
The graphs I've seen showed 0 gain. I've gotten used to driving with the TracKey over the last year but the other day I drove with the regular key and it was weird. I almost rear ended someone b/c I'm so acclimated to the engine braking! More fun to drive with the TracKey for sure. I'm still wanting to drink the AED syrup when my nerts fully drop.

Tyler72

Established Member
Read it on some other mustang forum. I can't remember which one though. The guy that posted it said he had a buddy that works for them.

I don't know for sure as its really just hearsay, but it makes sense to take advantage of what the key can do from a tuning standpoint. For example, if you have headers, intake, mo cats, & a big fat shot of nitrous, you could use the regular key for use without nitrous, & the track key could activate a tune that used less timing for a safe nitrous setup. It would ne like the days of old with the switch chips, except that the switch is really the key.

cbj5259

Established Member
Probably more HP gained by taking your side exhaust baffles out, then by using the track key.

Sent from my sharona

mtrsprt

Established Member
I never use the track key... or shall I say I barely used it before my supercharger install.

My car was faster 0-60 with the regular key. (4.3 best on track apps) (4.5 red key)
My car dropped 3mpg AVG with the red key.
Car sounds like a beat up old Chevelle with glasspacks with the red key.
Car generally feels smoother with the regular key.

For daily driving, and maybe going down the 1320, regular key is better hands down.

Road course, tight tracks, etc. Red key....

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
My car Dynoed +5 across the rpm with the track key. A/f was leaner too... I happen to enjoy the driving experience with it much better. However at the track the car has run about the same with either key on Dr.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I never use the track key... or shall I say I barely used it before my supercharger install.

My car was faster 0-60 with the regular key. (4.3 best on track apps) (4.5 red key)
My car dropped 3mpg AVG with the red key.
Car sounds like a beat up old Chevelle with glasspacks with the red key.
Car generally feels smoother with the regular key.

For daily driving, and maybe going down the 1320, regular key is better hands down.

Road course, tight tracks, etc. Red key....

I've done pretty extensive mileage test with and without track key... Hwy they are equal. In city driving the track key is 0.75 - 1 mpg less. That does not factory in driving it more aggressive with the track key however. That nght be where you saw the 3 mpg difference

Last edited:

isrboss

Established Member
I have tried 2 different dealerships and a week in between, to a fail both times to get it programmed. Ford Racing is telling me it is because of the Ford database/system having issues. Were you able to get the key programmed OP?

Tyler72

Established Member
Yeah they were able to get it working for me. Although they ripped me off. Ford Racing told me they recommend to the installing dealership to charge 1 hour of labor to program everything. The dealer charged me 1.5, so out the door it cost me $503 to get it done. The red key is a neat feature, but it should come standard with the car. I'm not impressed with it enough to justify that kind of money. But if SCT comes out with the stuff to keep the track key in a custom tune it will be sweet when paired with bolt ons. Ill have the car programmed with the red key being a very aggressive tune with a very prominent lope, not the crap Ford puts in there... their "lopey idle" is barely even noticeable.

Unrealford

Established Member
Yeah they were able to get it working for me. Although they ripped me off. Ford Racing told me they recommend to the installing dealership to charge 1 hour of labor to program everything. The dealer charged me 1.5, so out the door it cost me $503 to get it done. The red key is a neat feature, but it should come standard with the car. I'm not impressed with it enough to justify that kind of money. But if SCT comes out with the stuff to keep the track key in a custom tune it will be sweet when paired with bolt ons. Ill have the car programmed with the red key being a very aggressive tune with a very prominent lope, not the crap Ford puts in there... their "lopey idle" is barely even noticeable.

Dealership bent you over, like they did to me. I was charged $430.00 including our wonderful state of 8 3/4% state tax.

isrboss

Established Member
OP I completely agree, I had the trackey voucher and labor thrown into the deal. They should give the voucher along with the sale. How else would they have gotten to be marketing savvy and sold something for $302 though. Apparently the free way does not program though. I just want the engine braking for free, all the other stuff is useless to me. The launch control is cool, but I'm not a dig guy anymore.

Tyler72

Established Member
OP I completely agree, I had the trackey voucher and labor thrown into the deal. They should give the voucher along with the sale. How else would they have gotten to be marketing savvy and sold something for $302 though. Apparently the free way does not program though. I just want the engine braking for free, all the other stuff is useless to me. The launch control is cool, but I'm not a dig guy anymore.

This...

About the only cool feature to the key that justifies spending money on it. If the lopey idle was more prominent I would be a lot happier with it. But hopefully down the road I'll be able to get an x cal & have the car tuned for exhaust & Cai with the regular key being a street moderate tune with a smooth idle & the red key being very aggressive 93 octane tune with a very aggressive idle.

Brewmaster

Established Member
I have tried 2 different dealerships and a week in between, to a fail both times to get it programmed. Ford Racing is telling me it is because of the Ford database/system having issues. Were you able to get the key programmed OP?

I had a dealership waste 6 hours trying to install my TK and they kept blaming Ford Racing. The next day I found a dealership that had a technician that really knew his craft and had it installed it pretty quick fashion after getting a new TK number from FR. He said the first dealership tech probably didn't use Windows XP and/or didn't have a fast enough internet connection when doing the install. Food for thought when you ask the next dealership to do the install.

wlane

Has anyone done a dyno run with regular gas (87 octane) vs premium(93 octane)? Saving 40 - 50 cents/gallon by using regular is significant, but would love to know what I am giving up.

Tyler72

Established Member
Has anyone done a dyno run with regular gas (87 octane) vs premium(93 octane)? Saving 40 - 50 cents/gallon by using regular is significant, but would love to know what I am giving up.

You know the Boss engines are 11:1 compression and designed for 91+ octane only correct? The standard GT's only require 87 octane fuel, but you are supposed to run at least 91 in a Boss.

Users who are viewing this thread