Track alignment help

sonic cobra

Established Member
Had my annual alignment done before my first track event. I have MM coil-overs. My regular guy couldn't do it cause his machine is down so I had to try someone else. Print out shows -1.5 camber left and right just as I wanted BUT...
for a quick and dirty check, I measured from the top of the strut to the edge of my fender and the difference from one side to the other is 3/4 ". I understand manufacturing tolerances but this seems excessive to me. Car seems to track straight. Leaving for Summit Point on Friday. Whaddaya think?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The tolerances on these cars is freaking terrible! With my MM C/C plates I can get 3 degrees on the left front if I want it.

The problem is I can only get about 1 3/4 degrees on the right front!

All we can really do is try to make sure the car is squared up(shifting the K can sometimes help with this) and then equalize the alignment.

I am going to have to dremel out my strut holes(top hole usually) and weld a washer in to get more camber from the right front. I would like to be able to get at least 2 3/4 to 3 on that side in case I ever want to run 3 degrees or there abouts.

So yeah wide variations are pretty normal from talking to people and from what I have seen at the tracks.

Last edited:

rueljr

Established Member
You can't measure anything from the frame to a body panel. The body panels are aligned for proper seams and body lines, not to the frame and all car body panels measure different from side to side. ALL meaningful measurements have to taken from the the frame, or in our case, points on the unibody structure.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I will admit, using body panels for a reference is less than ideal, especially given the wide tolerances noted above. However, just comparing the bolt position in the slots on the CC plates, one side is all the way inboard, the other side about mid slot. I will just have to see how it behaves on the Shenandoah Circuit next weekend.
If my guy gets his machine fixed, I may have him check it, just for peace of mind and before Watkins Glen in June

Users who are viewing this thread