Toyo tires

stangfreak

Established Member
so I have been watching some videos. Lots of people are raving about the R888R. One would think, that the proxes TQ, the drag radials, would be better. Has anyone tested both of these tires?

Santiago

Established Member
so I have been watching some videos. Lots of people are raving about the R888R. One would think, that the proxes TQ, the drag radials, would be better. Has anyone tested both of these tires?
I’ve had both and I like the TQ better seem to hook a lot better even tho I have the r888r at the moment i love how the r888r look but if you want something that hooks hard I would go with the TQ

Attachments

• 114E819A-E719-4B61-8482-5DB0875B4DA5.jpeg
    114E819A-E719-4B61-8482-5DB0875B4DA5.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 139

stangfreak

Established Member
yea I was watching a few reviews and they were raving about the 888's. I was like, but those are not drag radials. which I found confusing. still going back and fourth on what tires to get for my new wheels. Iv always had mickeys

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
yea I was watching a few reviews and they were raving about the 888's. I was like, but those are not drag radials. which I found confusing. still going back and fourth on what tires to get for my new wheels. Iv always had mickeys

I've had multiple sets of both. TQ hook better from a dig, but R888R are no slouch with a minor roll out when warm. I prefer them over the TQ due to my stiff suspension and driving style (I like turns) Plus they are way less scarey in the rain. If you always had mickeys you're used to that though.

jtkz13

Established Member
I've had 3 sets of MT SS in 305/35/18 and I wish I would have tried the TQ in 315/35/18.

The MT's hook awesome, but wear out friggin fast and to get even wear I have to keep them at like 25psi. Otherwise they wear out the middle twice as fast as the outside.

The TQ's are back in stock at Summit, if they were there a couple months ago I wouldve got them.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have a set of R888’s I bought last fall I am going to try out. BFGoodrich stopped making the Rivals in the size I run. I hope they are as good as everyone says they are.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It all depends on your goals. I ran 555R's for a few years and they hooked decent until they wore out. I'm currently on R888R because I wanted to turn a little better. When cold they spin pretty good. But when it's warm outside they're a good hooking tire.

stangfreak

Established Member
It all depends on your goals. I ran 555R's for a few years and they hooked decent until they wore out. I'm currently on R888R because I wanted to turn a little better. When cold they spin pretty good. But when it's warm outside they're a good hooking tire.
I am not taking turns at 80mphs or care about the twisties. I just need some rear tires that will hook. I like straight line. If it was a different car, like a vette or whatever, my goals would be different.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I am not taking turns at 80mphs or care about the twisties. I just need some rear tires that will hook. I like straight line. If it was a different car, like a vette or whatever, my goals would be different.
Then I'd skip the R888R and run the TQ's.

And post up your thoughts because I'm curious about how they do.:)

robvas

Established Member
I wonder what the best sixty foot times with the R888R's are compared to the MT or even Nittos 555R-II

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I ran R888s in 315/30/18 when I was at about 550rwhp and had 4.10s. First gear was, of course, completely useless beyond 50% throttle. Half to 2/3 of second was sketchy. Best combo with these for getting out of the hole was slipping the clutch and rolling into a max of 60% throttle. Short shift first a bit (30-35mph with the 4.10s) and ease back into her until half way through second where I was confident enough the rear would stay under me. The 888s fought like hell at the bottom of second, though. Nothing like the symphony of screaming blower, tires, motor, and exhaust. lol

Brought her just north of 600whp, returned to 3.55s, and switched to 315/35/18 TQs. Worlds better. Then I added the FTBR IRS kit and now I have the majority of first gear back. I nearly shat myself the first time I tried taking off with the new setup. Expected wheel spin (was actually intending to let em rip) and she just went like hell.

I also think the taller sidewall of the TQ looks better unless you're running rubber bands on the front. Maybe if you go with a 305/35 888 assuming they come in that profile...

MG0h3

Established Member
Correct on the mickeys. I’m done with them until reviews change.

I’m getting the 555 DRII when it’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I’m getting the 555 DRII when it’s time.
I ran those for a short time and was impressed with them. I think you'll be pleased as well. It's too bad cuz I'm selling the wheel/tire setup after a whole 350 miles. lol

03' White Snake

Established Member
I ran R888s in 315/30/18 when I was at about 550rwhp and had 4.10s. First gear was, of course, completely useless beyond 50% throttle. Half to 2/3 of second was sketchy. Best combo with these for getting out of the hole was slipping the clutch and rolling into a max of 60% throttle. Short shift first a bit (30-35mph with the 4.10s) and ease back into her until half way through second where I was confident enough the rear would stay under me. The 888s fought like hell at the bottom of second, though. Nothing like the symphony of screaming blower, tires, motor, and exhaust. lol

Brought her just north of 600whp, returned to 3.55s, and switched to 315/35/18 TQs. Worlds better. Then I added the FTBR IRS kit and now I have the majority of first gear back. I nearly shat myself the first time I tried taking off with the new setup. Expected wheel spin (was actually intending to let em rip) and she just went like hell.

I also think the taller sidewall of the TQ looks better unless you're running rubber bands on the front. Maybe if you go with a 305/35 888 assuming they come in that profile...

I am having some 305/35’s mounted tomorrow. I’ll post up some pictures after it’s done.

Users who are viewing this thread