Toyo R888R talk

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Put 265/35 up front and sits perfect with the 315's

I already have 275/35 up front and no need to change. I have had 315/30s on these 18x11 CCW rims and it never looked right or even came close to hooking my power level. They're just too thin of a profile and too short. I have run the 315/35 toyo TQ (26.7" tall). They worked pretty well, but are slightly ballonish on the rim and the sidewall stuck out past the fender line. The 305/35 toyo r888 is the best fitting tire I've had for the rim and wheel well

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Well this sucks even though it will probably take quite a while before I'll need another set.

Looks like I may try the MT et street s/s next. I can't remember if other cobra owners have had good luck with them?

I'm going to consider those MT et streets if the r888s are indeed gone. The reason I'm hesitant to run those is those MTs will hook TOO good and I'm afraid at our hp/tq they will put the driveline parts more in jeopardy than the R888 without a doubt. The 305/35 R888 has been a great balancing act of looks, the right amount of traction, and tread longevity

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be willing to bet that Toyo will build the new R888 replacement in a 305.. It's to popular for them to get rid of it..

Toyo is not showing it being made in the R888R

However....I called tirerack and they told me they have 11 305/35 R888 in stock and they are having more delivered May 27th LOL. Gotta love how many different answers you can get when an apocalypse is near

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
They might not have it right now is what I'm saying, but bet that they will start introducing almost all the same sizes.. There are so many racers (not just street cars) that rely on the R888's in 305.. Think of just about every C5Z out there that open tracks..

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I saw talk of the R888's being discontinued back in 2007?? I also saw that Tire Rack has fewer than 11 with more coming 5/26/17??

SBVERT03

Established Member
Dang this really sucks. I've got the 305/35's on my 18x11 classics and I love them. Was planning on continuing to run them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I'm confused..... so are they doing away with r888's completely? Or just the 305's? I have 305/35/18's on my 18x10's and love them. I wasn't planning on ever running a different tire. I am going to need some new ones fairly soon so this news kind of sucks, if it's true.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm confused..... so are they doing away with r888's completely? Or just the 305's? I have 305/35/18's on my 18x10's and love them. I wasn't planning on ever running a different tire. I am going to need some new ones fairly soon so this news kind of sucks, if it's true.

Yes, the speculation is the ENTIRE R888 (non-R) is being discontinued. The new model is called R888R, but unfortunately there is no indication per Toyo's website the R888R will be produced in a 305/35/18 size. We shall see.

However, if you google this there has been speculation of the R888 being gone all the way back to 2007.....it's still here. It's on Toyos homepage. They're available at Tirerack. Tirerack indicates even more inventory is coming in late May, even the 305/35.

That's the story so far

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yes, the speculation is the ENTIRE R888 (non-R) is being discontinued. The new model is called R888R, but unfortunately there is no indication per Toyo's website the R888R will be produced in a 305/35/18 size. We shall see.

However, if you google this there has been speculation of the R888 being gone all the way back to 2007.....it's still here. It's on Toyos homepage. They're available at Tirerack. Tirerack indicates even more inventory is coming in late May, even the 305/35.

That's the story so far

Thanks for the info. Really hoping it's just more rumor than anything. Gives me an excuse to buy 3 or 4 pairs though in preparation if/when Tirerack restocks lol. Fiance is gonna be pissed.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Well that sucks.......I love mine

I wouldn't worry to much. I'd be willing to bet that Toyo will build the new R888 replacement in a 305.. It's to popular for them to get rid of it..

Would tend to agree with you, I really do see these tires on all sorts of cars, especially high end / high HP cars. Seems like a strange move to discontinue them now.

Time will tell

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
im sure they'll be making more sizes. just like cast wheels, tires are made from molds. so they have a lot of molds to make for all the different sizes. they are very popular tires so im sure they'll be replacing all the sizes that the R888 had.
the R888R is supposed to be a better tire. just an evolution of the already great tire. better tire in the dry and the wet. you can see they added a significant channel for the water to escape and there are bigger tread blocks on the edges. this is a good read on the differences

http://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/track-tested-toyos-proxes-r888r-dot-competition-tire/

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I won't buy any other tire but 315 r888 series tire!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't think Tirerack's website is accurate on more shipments coming of the R888's.

My rears came in and are in the process of getting mounted.

I like that the R888R's are asymmetrical opposed to directional like the R888s. Aesthetically, I don't like how it looks, but if I can squeeze a few more miles out of them, rotating them back and forth, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to consider those MT et streets if the r888s are indeed gone. The reason I'm hesitant to run those is those MTs will hook TOO good and I'm afraid at our hp/tq they will put the driveline parts more in jeopardy than the R888 without a doubt. The 305/35 R888 has been a great balancing act of looks, the right amount of traction, and tread longevity

Suppose I shouldn't put the Hoosiers qtp cheater slicks on my car. I was going to run them on the street once in awhile.

CobraLov3r

Established Member
Sorry if i got everyone in a scurry trying to get R888's before they went out. This was the first I heard about them being discontinued, but by the sounds of how Toyo was talking about the R888's it seemed likely they might be getting phased out, not about to start the rumor though xD Anyways, I ended up going with 255/40/18 R888R's up front and 305/35 R888's in the rear. Going on a set of refinished staggered BBS RK Plasma's :D :D

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Am I the only one on this forum who thinks the r888's are trash?
Had one set and wouldn't ever buy another.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Am I the only one on this forum who thinks the r888's are trash?
Had one set and wouldn't ever buy another.

depends on what youre using them for. ive read theyre not the greatest for heavier cars on track. even the article i linked before which compares them to the new R version says the new version works better with heavier cars. on the street i dont think it makes as much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread