Towing with my half ton....

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
Hey guys,

I need some help. Just got back from Indian Princess campout and I have had it with sleeping in a tent with four little precious girls. Either its freezing, raining, or someone has to go to the potty and it always becomes a 45 minute ordeal during the night. Its just life, but I sure would like it to be a tad bit easier.....so I am going to buy a camper, something with a toilet praise the Lord, and a shower Hallalujah! and the best part of it, a dang heater so that I and the girls dont catch pneumonia.

Okay, first things first. I own a 2008 1500 Chevy Silverado. Its a crew cab Texas edition. I was researching the maximum towing capacity, and it looks to be roughly 7600lbs (drivers manuel). Its two wheel drive, which worries me a little if we get in some bad weather, but I am trying to get out of debt at the moment, or else I would just go buy my dream 6.7 f250 and a camper to boot. So I am going to try and pull this off with my half ton.

What would yall suggest? am I safe to get a 28-32ft camper trailer? Have you all had any experience? does it feel like the half ton was getting pulled off the road with wind?

Thank you so much, also, anyone with some camper experience on what brand to buy and what not is much appreciated.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
There is no way I would use a half ton to pull that size camper. Something in the low 20' range would be about as big as I would go until you can upgrade trucks. I've pulled a 32' in my F350 many times and couldn't imagine doing it with a smaller one.

Check out Craigslist, and avoid dealers. Just like everything else, they have book value and dealers love to mark them up. Jayco is a good brand, but can get pricey.

Unless you plan on camping in areas that see snow and cold temps (sub 20*) you wont have to worry about getting a 4 season camper. Most are propane heated, but honestly get a few portable heaters and save the propane for cooking.

I spend days-weeks in a camper at a time, so I can go into greater detail on anything you may want to know.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Go upgrade the rear suspension, springs and shocks, shouldn't cost that much $$.
This isn't all of the equation. I own a 02 2500HD and dad has an 05 1500. I've been under both of them doing tons of maintenance / repairs and towed with both. Not only are the springs, shocks and axles bigger on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but so much more. The frame, the BRAKES, the mastercylinder, the tires *load E instead of D*, the transmission, programming in the ECU for the transmission downshifting and lockup solenoid operation, gear ratios, spring perches, sway bars and a few other things I've forgotten are all bigger and set up to handle heavier loads and towing. I'm not saying you shouldn't or couldn't upgrade your 1500 to tow a heavier camper than what its rated for but you need to weigh in with all the factors before you think about doing upgrades on something that wont do what you want to correctly. Also, if you hook up to a heavier camper even after you've done upgrades and a cop pulls you over, its still a truck thats overloaded in the eyes of a state trooper. I've had a cop who had a bad night try to pick my truck apart one night on the side of a highway at 3am just so he could write me a ticket. Luckily the trailer was unloaded so it was hard to find anything on me but still got me for having the wrong tires on the trailer *it was a borrowed trailer going to tow a car for the guy who owned the trailer*. Long story short, be careful what you plan to do. There are many more factors than just a pair of springs. I'm NOT TELLING you not to, just giving you more to think about.

*Edit*
Screw-Rice has a lot of good advice. Do your research on the campers you're looking for and go from there.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
24-26' light weight (Feather lite) would be about the most I'd put behind a half ton.
And that is pushing it depending on distance.

His Grace

Established Member
There is no way I would use a half ton to pull that size camper. Something in the low 20' range would be about as big as I would go until you can upgrade trucks. I've pulled a 32' in my F350 many times and couldn't imagine doing it with a smaller one.

Check out Craigslist, and avoid dealers. Just like everything else, they have book value and dealers love to mark them up. Jayco is a good brand, but can get pricey.

Unless you plan on camping in areas that see snow and cold temps (sub 20*) you wont have to worry about getting a 4 season camper. Most are propane heated, but honestly get a few portable heaters and save the propane for cooking.

I spend days-weeks in a camper at a time, so I can go into greater detail on anything you may want to know.

Hey bud, I appreciate your wisdom on this subject very much. Would it be feasible if the trailer only weighed around 6500lbs? They have some ultra lites and hemisphere lites that are about 30ft and weigh around 6500lbs.

His Grace

Established Member
24-26' light weight (Feather lite) would be about the most I'd put behind a half ton.
And that is pushing it depending on distance.

Argh, okay, I was hoping to get around a 32ft, I have seen a couple that are half ton pullable and weigh around 6500 lbs. My truck is almost paid off and is rated for 7500lbs towing. I just didnt want to have to upgrade my truck and have another payment. But I understand what you are saying, you gotta pay to play.

His Grace

Established Member
This isn't all of the equation. I own a 02 2500HD and dad has an 05 1500. I've been under both of them doing tons of maintenance / repairs and towed with both. Not only are the springs, shocks and axles bigger on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but so much more. The frame, the BRAKES, the mastercylinder, the tires *load E instead of D*, the transmission, programming in the ECU for the transmission downshifting and lockup solenoid operation, gear ratios, spring perches, sway bars and a few other things I've forgotten are all bigger and set up to handle heavier loads and towing. I'm not saying you shouldn't or couldn't upgrade your 1500 to tow a heavier camper than what its rated for but you need to weigh in with all the factors before you think about doing upgrades on something that wont do what you want to correctly. Also, if you hook up to a heavier camper even after you've done upgrades and a cop pulls you over, its still a truck thats overloaded in the eyes of a state trooper. I've had a cop who had a bad night try to pick my truck apart one night on the side of a highway at 3am just so he could write me a ticket. Luckily the trailer was unloaded so it was hard to find anything on me but still got me for having the wrong tires on the trailer *it was a borrowed trailer going to tow a car for the guy who owned the trailer*. Long story short, be careful what you plan to do. There are many more factors than just a pair of springs. I'm NOT TELLING you not to, just giving you more to think about.

*Edit*
Screw-Rice has a lot of good advice. Do your research on the campers you're looking for and go from there.

Thank you for your advice. We may only pull the trailer 3-4 times a year, thats another reason why I didnt want to have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Trying to get out of debt with a family of six is tough, and I can justify getting a camper because I am building memories with my daughters and think it is very important, so the extra 300.00 a month payment is okay, and of course I will pay more then that, to pay it off sooner. I know for sure I will use the camper trailer, all four are in Indian Princess and there ages are 4,5,6,7 so we will be doing this for many years.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Argh, okay, I was hoping to get around a 32ft, I have seen a couple that are half ton pullable and weigh around 6500 lbs. My truck is almost paid off and is rated for 7500lbs towing. I just didnt want to have to upgrade my truck and have another payment. But I understand what you are saying, you gotta pay to play.

maybe its something that I dont get but your truck is rated to tow 7500 and the trailer weighs <7500 arent you go to go

I mean there is a safety factor built in so the the truck can actually pull more than 7500 so shouldnt 6500 be doable

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
How far are you pulling it?

6500 3-4 times a year withing 100-200 mile radius I'd say go for it. It won't kill the truck and just take it easy.

2 times a month and going 300+ miles then hell no.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

The problem with a longer trailer/camper is trailer sway. Think of it as a lever, the longer the trailer is the more it will be able to move the truck if sway is induced. I would really try to keep it under 28 feet with your truck, 24 feet would be preferable. 28 feet is still doable though, you just have to be more cautious.

Weight is also not the only factor in this equation either, you have to account for wind resistance. I have pulled an empty 24 foot flat front enclosed car hauler with the SVTP F-350 that felt far heavier, used more fuel, and actually caused the truck to down shift more (something that's actually rare with that truck), than the 32 foot SVTP gooseneck trailer loaded to over 9,000 pounds.

The biggest reliability issue you are likely to have with your truck is tranny life. If you have the 4L60 (or whatever GM was calling that tranny in 08) you will basically have a time bomb if you do lots of towing. It's absolutely imperative to keep it cool if you want it to live. That will involve getting some tuning, a deep tranny pan (I like Mag-Hytec), and the biggest tranny cooler you can mount up. One long heavy pull in the mountains can roast a stock 1/2 ton tranny, and I'm unfortunately saying that from experience.

Let me know if you have any questions.:beer:

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
The one thing I dont understand, people always say but the brakes are bigger on the f250.

So? I always thought thats what the trailer brakes are for. I'm not towing as much weight as you, i'm probably around 10k,10.5k including the weight of the truck, but with my brake controller I have the brakes set to maybe half of full power and it the truck can stop basically in the same distance.

The trailer brakes should be what stops the weight of your trailer.

Last edited:

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
One other thing. Why do people still say 1/2, 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton in 2012 is like a 3/4 ton in 1995. It's a poor description.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The one thing I dont understand, people always say but the brakes are bigger on the f250.

So? I always thought thats what the trailer brakes are for. I'm not towing as much weight as you, i'm probably around 10k,10.5k including the weight of the truck, but with my brake controller I have the brakes set to maybe half of full power and it the truck can stop basically in the same distance.

Larger brakes give greater thermal mass, which allows the brakes absorb more heat, which helps resist fade, which means the larger brakes won't overheat and fail in a scenario where smaller one might. I have overheated 1/2 ton brakes to the point where they failed to stop me as I was expecting them to and they were smoking badly. The rotors were also very glazed. I then greatly upgraded the brakes and have never had that issue again.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Larger brakes give greater thermal mass, which allows the brakes absorb more heat, which helps resist fade, which means the larger brakes won't overheat and fail in a scenario where smaller one might. I have overheated 1/2 ton brakes to the point where they failed to stop me as I was expecting them to and they were smoking badly. The rotors were also very glazed. I then greatly upgraded the brakes and have never had that issue again.

isnt it more than size that matters

for example what if you make brakes that can disapate more heat than steel

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member

I understand, but it sounds like your trailer brakes were failing you first. Your truck brakes shouldn't be used to stop the trailer.

The upgraded brakes are for things like, well if you have your truck bed loaded with stone or something. Then I understand perfectly. When it comes to trailer towing though, doesnt make sense to me.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Trailer brakes assist, even with them in most cases you can feel the extra weight and it does build up more heat in the trucks brake system.

One other thing. Why do people still say 1/2, 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton in 2012 is like a 3/4 ton in 1995. It's a poor description.

I would slightly disagree but don't feel like typing that much right now. lol

His Grace

Established Member
getting out of debt = rent an RV 3-4 times a year

problem solved

I absolutely agree bud. One of the dads rented an rv this last weekend, it was 360.00 for the weekend. Yes you are right, that would keep my debt low, but if I am using it 4 times a year, within 8 years I could own one. I know, half a dozen in one hand or six in the other.

Users who are viewing this thread