Tow hooks for '04 Cobra

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
Has anyone put tow hooks on their '03-'04 Cobra? I am trying to figure out how to do it with minimial "alterations". The front end is so full of radiators/heat exchangers that I may have to opt for a strap. Any suggestions?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I found a company that makes tow hooks for vettes and porsches. I contacted them and asked why they didn't make any for one of the most raced cars out there (Mustangs), and they said they'd like to, would I mind trying one. I said yes, and immediatly lost all their contact info in a computer crash. :(.
I'm still trying to find them before next season, if I do I'll post up. And I have the back covered, I have a trailer tow bar they can hook to. :D

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
I found a company that makes tow hooks for vettes and porsches. I contacted them and asked why they didn't make any for one of the most raced cars out there (Mustangs), and they said they'd like to, would I mind trying one. I said yes, and immediatly lost all their contact info in a computer crash. :(.
I'm still trying to find them before next season, if I do I'll post up. And I have the back covered, I have a trailer tow bar they can hook to. :D

Theres a good reason they make tow hooks for vettes and porsches....

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
What thickness steel or aluminum do you guys want them made out of? Im thinking 3/8th's would work well. I have a self fabbed tow hook setup on my '00 GT. I need to do some more design work on it but it could easily be reproduced.

I can have any design cut out by laser and would be more than happy to pass on the savings to you guys. The more I order the lower the price!

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
What thickness steel or aluminum do you guys want them made out of? Im thinking 3/8th's would work well. I have a self fabbed tow hook setup on my '00 GT. I need to do some more design work on it but it could easily be reproduced.

I can have any design cut out by laser and would be more than happy to pass on the savings to you guys. The more I order the lower the price!

very interested, I want to start racing my stang next season but need to have tow hooks front and back to pass tech. any pictures of your setup on the car?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Anthony, how about posting some pics of your custom hooks and where you have them mounted. I may be interested.

I saw a guy at my last NASA event that had a hook on his '05 that was behind his rear tag.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I would be interested in purchasing a front one if you go into production. :thumbsup:

[edit] Is your's steel or aluminum?

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'll get some pics soon.

What I first built was a simple 3/8" thick 4"x2.5" steel base plate that I welded parrallel underneath the metal front bumper, I then welded a 2.5" long peice of 3/16" wall square tubing to with the open ends facing front to back. This was done to create as little drag as possible through the lower opening of the bumper cover.

I have yet to build a tow eyelet to install onto the base that I built. I will fab something up this week, draw a print up on it and take it to the laser. As for a rear hook I need one of those on my car as well so give me some lead time and I will have something for the rear of our cars as well.

racebronco2

Established Member
Here are some pictures of my tow hook. One of the reasons i decided to mount it this way was because i damaged my bumper cover and drilling a hole thru it didn't matter. There is not a whole lot of room to install one. I used a 5/8 threaded rod, welded in a 3/4 inside diameter pipe to the front and rear of my bumper support(the pipe goes thru my bumper support). There is 5/8 nut welded to the backside of the bumper support.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I guess some would have an issue with cutting through their bumper cover and some wouldn't.
I wouldn't mind cutting it if I had to, but if it was where the tag mount is, that would be better.

That's an interesting setup, Carlos. Do you just carry the hook in the car when going on track?

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I guess some would have an issue with cutting through their bumper cover and some wouldn't.
I wouldn't mind cutting it if I had to, but if it was where the tag mount is, that would be better.

That's an interesting setup, Carlos. Do you just carry the hook in the car when going on track?

There isn't much room on our cars with the h/e in front. Our car's bumper covers are already low so one under the bumper cover wouldn't work.

Yes i carry it in the truck with the other track stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread