Totally disappointed!

Mr. Bungle

Established Member
Well got my car back from the shop where all the parts were installed. Here is a list of the mods
Borla stinger exhaust
Bassani X-pipe with high flow cats
SCT 2400 MAF
Kenne Bell BAP
New Billet FLow Throttle Body and Plenum
4lb Lower Pulley
2.93 upper
Stage IV Steggy Blower
Gords Heat exchanger with dual spal fans
The numbers I made are 414rwhp and 456rwtq. This was on a superflow dyno.
Now when I took it out for a drive I was quite dissappointed with the way it felt while driving. It really didn't feel like I thought it should. I thought it would pull a lot harder than what it did. Now first off the car just broke 3K miles so that might have something to do with the lower power but I still think it wouldn't make that much difference. Also do you guys think that the cats could be making a difference? I am making 16lbs of boost and 11.9 AFR across the board. I thought I read a while back that you had to do some sort of by pass so all the boost could be used, if that makes sense. I am really frustrated and I really thought that this combo would make a hugh difference but so far the only thing it has made is a louder whine which I do want but would prefer the power.
TIA
MIke

Last edited:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
are you sure that your belt is not slipping at all? what kind of octane are you tuning with? taking the cats will help with flows which mean more power but it wont be huge where youll feel the diffrence. you can bypass boost using your tuner. another thing is that it might just be a conservative tune or even a bad one. someone elser will chime in. BTW what is that dyno? is that kinda like a mustang dyno type of thing?

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
414RWHP is REALLY low. Even with belt slip, your numbers are about 100RWHP from what they should be.

Your numbers could be low because of a combination of belt slip, a bad tune, and the dyno you were on. I've never heard of a "Superflow" dyno. And your car should pull HARD.

If you think it doesn't feel like it should, then with those numbers, something probably isn't right.

I'd say wait for someone else from your area to chime in and suggest a reputable tuner to you. That way you can get your car up on a good dyno, and get it tuned by someone who knows these cars.

Mr. Bungle

Established Member
Totally agree with all of you. I am totally bummed. I guess it could be the belt slipping but the boost guage doesn't ever show a deduction in boost. Not to familar with the dyno used but he said it shows lower than a dyno jet. How could I see if the belt is slipping? Anything esle I can look at?

vr4_007

Established Member
that just cant be.

Please go to a different Dyno,.. with that AF Ratio solid at 11.9 you should have an insane machine at your right foot.

A simplr mistke on the Dyno's roller ratio/weight could lead to faulty numbers.

oldmodman

Established Member
If your boost guage shows the same boost from 3K to 6.5K there is no belt slip. If the boost drops off as the rpm goes up you do have belt slip. On a graph from a dyno run it would show up as a drop in boost or a drop in HP at higher rpm. If your boost pressure stays constant but your dyno show a jagged line at higher rpm your spark is getting blown out at higher rpm.

Mr. Bungle

Established Member
I will try to post it up tomorrow since I don't have a scanner I will have to go to a friends house. Yes it is on 93 octane.

Common

Established Member
You have enough mods for well over 500whp, don't worry it will all work out. Im sure there was something wrong, belt slip, etc etc.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow there are so many things that don't add up here. I sure hope the shop that did this work stands by their reputation because something is definitely wrong. Even if you forget about the dyno, the SOTP feel with those mods should be huge.

Last edited:

Redfire03

Established Member
I am going to agree with every one else. Something is not right. You should be in the 500 RWHP and 530-540 RWTQ range. Get the tune checked out. You are only making as much horsepower as a basically stock cobra with a tune and barley more torque.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
jmproductions said:
Wow there are so many things that don't add up here. I sure hope the shop that did this work stands by their reputation because something is definitely wrong. Even if you forget about the dyno, the SOTP feel with those mods should be huge.

+1!! :uh oh: Weird. Definately need to either have them look at it again, or try another tuner. I would suggest the latter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We will definitely need to see a copy of your dyno sheet. Who did the tune? I have never heard of a modded Terminator (with a ported blower, 2.93 upper and 4 lb. lower) making 414/456. The fact that you are saying the car doesn't "feel" strong has me a bit concerned. How recently did you install the ported blower, upper and lower? What size belt are you using? Who did the install of your mods? Who did the tune? How reputable is the dyno shop you used? There are a lot of unanswered questions here but IMO it is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with belt slip since you're seeing 16 lbs. with no drop off. If you car felt very strong and/or you had a great track time slip then I'd say it is likely dyno operator error or a bad dyno. But if the car doesn't feel much stronger than it did before you did the mods then it could be something in the tune and/or with the motor. I'm sure you'll get it resolved, but take it one step at a time. I think if it were my car, I'd probably find a good tuner shop and start from there. JMO.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Maybe it checks the same as a Mustang Dyno and those numbers need to be converted over? Also take it to the track and see what it runs mph wise. It might surprise you in what it does. Ask your tuner what other Cobras dyno at on their dyno and what your timing is set at.

Mr. Bungle

Established Member
will do. I have to go to work but will give a detailed list of everything when I get home this morning. Thanks everyone.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
posi said:
Maybe it checks the same as a Mustang Dyno and those numbers need to be converted over? Also take it to the track and see what it runs mph wise. It might surprise you in what it does. Ask your tuner what other Cobras dyno at on their dyno and what your timing is set at.

You could be correct Posi, but I did 100 more hp and 60 more tq on a mustang dyno 2 weeks ago at Amazon in S.C. The only difference is I am running a 2.76 pulley (similar supporting parts, ie. dual GT fuel pumps, etc.) with 17lbs of boost.
I am a little surprised you are hitting those boost numbers and good air/fuel readings, but no power. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread