Torsion Spring Installation on Lawn Mower

CM5878

Established Member
This ****ing thing is going to be the death of me. Somehow, the torsion spring on the side discharge door on my lawn mower popped off and it's a disaster trying to get this back on. I've tried to install the spring back on, by inserting the one end of the spring thru the hole on the flap door and insert the rod halfway thru the bracket. I've used needle nose pliers, a screwdriver, etc to try to turn the other side of the spring so it lies flat against the bracket. Before I give up or take off my finger or hand, does anyone have any tips on how to install this properly? I'm assuming the other end of the spring needs tension, but theres literally no ****ing' way to get the spring to turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

CM5878

Established Member
It's a Toro Self Propelled 22 inch mower. It's nothing special, but it's a great mower since it has 3 in 1 capabilities. For the time being, I wound up taping the side discharge door shut. I don't feel like taking rocks to the shins lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a Honda so I can't help. Why not drive over to Home Depot and take a look at a similar Toro mower. Take a cell phone photo of the side discharge door spring and how it sets. Might help you then get yours corrected. Just a thought.

CM5878

Established Member
So here are several pics of my problem lol. I still do not understand how you can physically twist the end of the coil with needle nose pliers or by hand.

1D27F94B-C283-4B98-A05C-3AD9FA6B1CFD_zpsou5awjpp.gif

13CDD70E-18DA-4FC9-832A-98CC43576CEA_zpse6rhatkm.gif

Users who are viewing this thread